Clean Install EVERY SINGLE update?

BishopLuc

Members
Jan 29, 2019
I'm currently on the Beta ROM and really attracted to the EU ROM and was about to do it when I read in our Country's Poco FB Group that you need to do a wipe EVERY SINGLE TIME you update the EU Rom.... They seem to all agree. However, a friend who does more research than me said that according to some XDA posts, it's fine to do a dirty install as long as it's the same ROM. So which one is true? I love the fact that the EU ROM is cleaner, but I can live with the Beta ROM if I have to back-up, wipe, and restore every single time I update. Thanks!

the install script does it for you

Thanks for answering! So you still have to wipe and restore data, but the 'install script' does it automatically?

Also, how about if for example you change from MIUI 10.3 EU to MIUI 10.4 EU, do you have to wipe?

Addendum: Wipe data is necessary when you make a downgrade from weekly to stable ROM and when new ROM has another Android base (like from oreo to pie). And when you are coming from official China or Global ROM wipe data is not enough, FORMAT DATA is necessary to remove encryption. Otherwise flashing won't work and your device won't boot.
With normal flashing eu-ROM every week through the updater app data partition will not be wiped (normally). To be on safe side a backup is always recommended.

Reactions: iamme729
W
Addendum: Wipe data is necessary when you make a downgrade from weekly to stable ROM and when new ROM has another Android base (like from oreo to pie). And when you are coming from official China or Global ROM wipe data is not enough, FORMAT DATA is necessary to remove encryption. Otherwise flashing won't work and your device won't boot.
With normal flashing eu-ROM every week through the updater app data partition will not be wiped (normally). To be on safe side a backup is always recommended.
WOW you saved my life. I installed it and I was not getting beyond the part where you should put your Google Account to restore stuff. It just kept cycling over and over again. Then I read this and formatted my phone and it worked! Thanks!

Question - the weekly updates should be downloaded from this forum or does the OTA work?

Normally OTA works, it's usually uploaded at Saturday evening GMT. If updater app doesn't work, try this: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/bug-in-app-of-update.48709/#post-468162 (ZduneX25 is the dev of the app).
Or you can download ROM manually and install it with updater app (three dots menu > choose update package), all necessary wipes are done automatically (no wipe of data partition!) or with twrp (then choose wipe cache and dalvik cache after installation manually).

Reactions: iamme729