CM roms - please clarify all these threads

Animor

Members
Apr 21, 2013
Hi,

Right now, there are 4 threads in the first page, discussing several versions of CM for Mi2.

1. Can someone put things in order, so it will be clear which thread is relevant? It is very confusing to know which thread to look in and what are the current bugs or missing features in CM for mi2.

2. As far as I know, Xiaomi didn't release the kernel open source. So where all these CM versions came from? how could they be developed without an available open source kernel?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kernel seems to be the same, I'm on Aokp right now and it has the same version like the latest wiui Rom I had installed earlier..but of course with android 4.2.2!

Pretty fast Rom btw :)

Written on my Xiaomi MI2 with Tapatalk 4 Beta

to answer 1 it seems that people where excited when xiaomi released the device tree to enable us to build CM10.1 for the Mi2 and a few people(including me) built and shared it. I was planing on building and sharing daily versions but if most find that it clutters 2 much i will stop and leave it to the others to build and share. I will be keeping up AOKP builds for sure and either PAC or Rootbox once i pick which one and get it working.

As for number 2. no they did not release kernel sources but pretty much everything else. They released the full device tree and proprietary blobs which contain(amongst other things) all libs needed to run android and a pre-built kernel. This is a great step from xiaomi and i hope they will be cleaning up kernel sources and release those as well soon.

Thank you for your answer!

1. I thought that only CM team are building and releasing CM roms, am I wrong about it? Can anyone make a CM rom for any device?

2. What is the status of the CM rom now? what else is required from Xiaomi to release in order to finalize this rom? Meaning: all the hardware expected to work properly now, or are there things that still require the kernel source?

As long as you have a device tree and proprietary blobs(and kernel sources preferably) you can build a CM rom for any device. In fact the CM teams git repo contains all these files for the devices they officially support so any one can build the rom at any point in time.

As far as i am concerned the CM rom is in a pretty good state right now. Only a few things don't work 100%(as far as i can see). The notification led...and the screen has some minor refresh rate issues. The thing kernel sources would bring us is the ability to OverClock and integrate more CPU and I/O governors.

Thanks again for your answer.

So perhaps we should ask CM team to add the mi2 to their officially support devices, now that the code is released? This way we'll have nightly releases, and one official version with release logs, instead of several parallel versions.

And maybe now XDA boycott will come to end...?

well we still do not have kernel sources so don't expect anything to change in how CM team and XDA view the Mi2 and xiaomi...yet and either way i'll give you daily roms so...

Reactions: MSephiroth
I read your post, and you are developing AOKP rom, right? you think it's better than AOSP roms like CM?

I like it better for its extra customizability.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2