Confused about uptading

aston

Members
Jul 5, 2013
Hi there!
There is so much infos about the ROM releases that now I have some doubts:
  1. My actual MIUI version is the 3.8.29. If I the updater I get the 3.9.6 as the weekly build and not the aries 4.2.28_jb-4.1. What am I missing?
  2. On miuiandroid.com the latest news is about the ROM 4.1.24 and not the 4.2.28. Is it more stable?
  3. If the AROMA ROM is so good, why it isn't implemented as an normal MIUI one? Could I update it directly over mine 3.8.29?
  4. Could I replace some of the apk in the system/app folder of the update zip with other ones? Or it's much more complicated than that? For example I'd like to replace the Browser with Chrome.
    I spent days trying to understand this but maybe I'm so a noob that I ended in a useless loop o_O
Thanks to anyone who will enlighten me or point me to some links :) :) :)

PS: I attached my specs if it helps
Screenshot_2014-03-01-13-10-56.png

download here the zip and put in your internal memory and then use updater app for select the zip and update the rom. You can replace thing but is better not to do :p

Hi there!
  1. My actual MIUI version is the 3.8.29. If I the updater I get the 3.9.6 as the weekly build and not the aries 4.2.28_jb-4.1. What am I missing?
  2. On miuiandroid.com the latest news is about the ROM 4.1.24 and not the 4.2.28. Is it more stable?
  3. If the AROMA ROM is so good, why it isn't implemented as an normal MIUI one? Could I update it directly over mine 3.8.29?
  4. Could I replace some of the apk in the system/app folder of the update zip with other ones? Or it's much more complicated than that? For example I'd like to replace the Browser with Chrome.
    I spent days trying to understand this but maybe I'm so a noob that I ended in a useless loop o_O

View attachment 7389

1. wow, so you havent updated by incremental ROM since the new year? i guess it is better to download the latest FULL ROM, as the incremental have been so many.
2. which one? here is the latest http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/4-2-28.23638/ and it is 4.2.28
3. why it is not implemented on normal MIUI? hehe i can not answer this lol. but if you want to update, better to use CWM, wipe the cache and dalvik so you get clean install. but dont wipe data, as your data will gone.
4. i can not answer this as i am not a dev and still a noob :)

Reactions: aston
Hi there!

View attachment 7389
1) OTA will update to incremental version, not the latests. Download latest ROM and update manually.
2) I see latest version on miuiandroid.com 4.2.28.
3) Already answered.
4) You could, but... some can cause problems.

Reactions: aston
Ok guys, thank you both. Now things make much more sense and I think I can live without the WIUI :)
Actually everything works quite fine so far. This is why I didn't do any update since months.
I'd like to update just because now I have many system app that I don't use. I prefer alternatives for the gallery, calculator, keyboard, notes. Especially the calendar which is one of my biggest hassle. System calendar+google calendar+paid app all of them messing the notification system..!:mad:
I tried TitaniumBackup to remove or freeze the unused apk but in the end it is not effective, they are still there! So I was thinking to have a clean and more functional system by tweaking a little the update file before upgrading.

4) You could, but... some can cause problems.
Do you have experience or could you point me to some useful link?
I'm investigating this but I'm not sure it's fine for everything and for Xiaomi.

I strongly suggest you to do a Nandroid backup before! Theoretically you can delete lot of apps, but can also make lot of problems. Nandroid backup is not necessary, but it's a rescue point. MIUI Recovery has no Nandroid backup, you have to instal CWM Recovery http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/2013-11-15-clockworkmod-recovery-6-0-3-2.19686/

Well, I have already scared you enough :-D , you can try this: Turn on root, get Total Commander from Play Store, go to system/app folder and delete calendar/calculator/... manually. But remeber, during every update apps gonna be restored and you have to delete them again.

P.S.: WIUI is great ROM, definitely worth to try.

I strongly suggest you to do a Nandroid backup before! Theoretically you can delete lot of apps, but can also make lot of problems. Nandroid backup is not necessary, but it's a rescue point. MIUI Recovery has no Nandroid backup, you have to instal CWM Recovery http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/2013-11-15-clockworkmod-recovery-6-0-3-2.19686/

Well, I have already scared you enough :-D , you can try this: Turn on root, get Total Commander from Play Store, go to system/app folder and delete calendar/calculator/... manually. But remeber, during every update apps gonna be restored and you have to delete them again.

P.S.: WIUI is great ROM, definitely worth to try.

Thanks for your suggestions :)
As soon as I have more time I'll try playing.
If I'll succeed I'll post back here to share the result.