Confusion About Mi4 Update (from New Bought Mi4)

w2kbug

Members
Mar 30, 2016
First of all: Hello! (no, not from the other side...)

i just bought an mi4 and googled all day about getting a good rom with a good translation. That´s why i´m here.
I also found some instructions on how to upgrade my phone to Android6 (MIUI7), but some instructions are quite unclear for me. I hope you are not offended if i ask something, but i did not find the answers by searching through this forum (or the answers are not clear enough for me :-( )

So i found this little beast ans added a few questions):

How to update Xiaomi Mi3/4 and MiNote from 4.4 to 6.0:
- Install MIUI 5.12.17 2x via Updater app first to merge your system partitions (no more dual system support)

My Questions:
1. The update to 5.12.17: Do i install the with the original chinese updater or do i need to flash an older version of xiaomi.eu-rom first?
2. i did not find a 5.12.17-Version of cancro on this side, am i just blind or is it not necessary?

- After reboot install current 6.1.28/29 version - let it boot and update all apps, then reboot again..

My Questions:
3. Which Version of 6.1.28/29? The one from the original updater app or the one from xiaomi.eu?
- Wipe data not needed but recommended
My Questions:
4. If you say wipe Data: wipe Dalvik? Wipe Cache? Wipe User-Data? I´m really not sure :-\
Some other Questions:
5. What would be the easiest way to upgrade a fresh bought mi4 cancro to MIUI7 on Android6 (likely to 7.2.8)?
6. Can anyone explain me if i have to flash TWRP on my own or if it´s beeing installed together with some rom versions here from xiaomi.eu?
7. Since one of the newest versions is 7.2.8: Do i have to install the above mentioned 6.1.28/29 or can i just upgrade from 5.12.17 to 7.2.8 ?
8. If my bootloader is not unlocked: i cannot change the rom? O can i change to xiaomi.eu-Rom with a locked bootloader if i want 7.2.8? (i already requested my unlock @ xiaomi but i know it takes time).

//edit
9. i now found 5.12.17 as download but i´m still not sure i f i need to unlock bootloader first or if i can do all this magic from xiaomi.eu with my original-bootloader and my original MIUI based on KK4.4.4)...it would be very nice if someone would lighten me up! Thanks :)
//\edit

Thank you very much for your patience and reading my question. Thank you also for answering my questions if possible.

With best regards!

Last edited:
Except a mistake of myself you can install the first version 5.12.17 (follow all the indication in the post)to merge partition etc with the normal updater the rom will erase the chinese one.
After that you can install the newest version it has the twrp already in the rom but you can too instal it manually if you want to be sure

Just be carefull and let the rom to be installed it may take a few minutes dont do force reboot or something it will cause many problem

And maybe wait someone to confirm my answer cause i'am not sure i'have update it's a long time ago and didn"t remember exactly the right process

Here another post http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi4-android-marshmallow-updates-problems.30639/

Last edited:
Thank you!

Maybe anyone can tell me i the bootloader really needs to be unlocked?
Or is it not necessary to unlock the bootloader?
(i think i must unlock bootloader to install twrp, right?)

Thank you!

Maybe anyone can tell me i the bootloader really needs to be unlocked?
Or is it not necessary to unlock the bootloader?
(i think i must unlock bootloader to install twrp, right?)
The bootloader is not locked for the Mi4 only for the Mi4c and other models but not for this one
Actually are you on a dev rom or a stable one ?

actually i´m on the original 4.4.4 ... there´s no visible sign that it´s a dev-rom.

It looks like I'm blind too. I can't find Cancro version following the link in the first page of the multi 5.12.17

Now, since Xiaomi global des rom is available, it is faster to flash it via miflash tool. It will create partitions under the hood.
Then you can copy Xiaomi. Eu zip to the root of your phone.
Then temp boot with twrp
Fastboot boot twrp. Img
From twrp, install zip, wipe cache dalvic and you really done!