Couldn't verify device (Mi Unlock)

Aldagar

Members
Sep 30, 2018
I have a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 official global version (4/64 GB) and I've been trying to unlock the bootloader with the Mi Unlock software, but despite trying many times I always end up with the error that appears in the image. I've tried everything I've seen on the Internet but without any success. I've seen some people say that you have to wait a few days but it's been a week already and no luck. It could also be a problem of drivers but I've tried a few and still no results (maybe I don't install them correctly).

I really don't know what to do anymore and I would appreciate your help.
Screenshot (2).png

Same problem here. I personally think I will just throw the Mi 8 out of the window.

No, don't do that! Send it to me for free instead, I need some new toys .

Seriously, I don't know what your problem is, but where did you buy your phones?

Might it be a problem with fake roms?

If nothing else helps, you can try fast boot flashing an official ROM with miflash.

No, don't do that! Send it to me for free instead, I need some new toys .

Seriously, I don't know what your problem is, but where did you buy your phones?

Might it be a problem with fake roms?

If nothing else helps, you can try fast boot flashing an official ROM with miflash.

Can you fastboot flash a rom without unlocking the bootloader?

I bought my phone - and that was a mistake - with a British retailer.
They must have gotten stock that was carrier bound, without telling you which carrier it is.
No chance to update OTA (because the carrier would have to approve first), no chance to install via System Updater and a MIUI ROM file from en.miui.com
And the unlocking doesn't work at all.
It creates multiple errors, and whenever I fought one of them down, the next one arrives.
It is mighty frustrating - and I am a veteran. I am MIUI user since version 1. :(

Can you fastboot flash a rom without unlocking the bootloader?

I bought my phone - and that was a mistake - with a British retailer.
They must have gotten stock that was carrier bound, without telling you which carrier it is.
No chance to update OTA (because the carrier would have to approve first), no chance to install via System Updater and a MIUI ROM file from en.miui.com
And the unlocking doesn't work at all.
It creates multiple errors, and whenever I fought one of them down, the next one arrives.
It is mighty frustrating - and I am a veteran. I am MIUI user since version 1. :(

Yes, you can fastboot flash an official ROM with a locked bootloader.

You should pick a China stable or a Global stable, depending on if your device is Chinese or Global.

You can check exactly what device you have by its IMEI number here:

https://www.mi.com/global/verify/#/en/tab/imei

You should pick a China stable or a Global stable, depending on if your device is Chinese or Global.

Not my dream solution - as I would have wanted to switch to the EU ROMs, but I really don't get the bootloader unlocked. I have used three different PCs by now, I really don't know what to do anymore.

I will check if I can do this fastboot flashing, thanks for the hint!

Nope, doesn't work.
Apparently I fell for a phone with a ****** vendor ROM from Three UK.
Absolutely atrocious. Can't update anything anywhere.

I also can't unlock. I am not sure if the reason is that ROM or if there is another issue - but given how many different PCs I used, that can't really be the issue, I guess.

Nope, doesn't work.
Apparently I fell for a phone with a ****** vendor ROM from Three UK.
Absolutely atrocious. Can't update anything anywhere.

I also can't unlock. I am not sure if the reason is that ROM or if there is another issue - but given how many different PCs I used, that can't really be the issue, I guess.

Well, it "should" work.
Famous last words, I know.

What device did you get at the Mi site?

You did check carefully that you had the correct fastboot rom?

What kind of error did miflash give you?

Flashing the official stable is the first step towards being able to move to the eu rom, of course.

Well, it "should" work.
Famous last words, I know.

What device did you get at the Mi site?

You did check carefully that you had the correct fastboot rom?

What kind of error did miflash give you?

Flashing the official stable is the first step towards being able to move to the eu rom, of course.

Now I do not remember the accurate error message. Wrong network or something like this.
I can try again.

If I only could unlock, that would bring me to the EU ROM.

Now I do not remember the accurate error message. Wrong network or something like this.
I can try again.

If I only could unlock, that would bring me to the EU ROM.

I gave you the wrong info, been so long since I did this - sorry.

You need to do this as a "local update", not fastboot.
And you need the correct recovery ROM, not fastboot, China or Global.

https://en.miui.com/a-232.html

You can upgrade your phone by Local Update method without unlocking your phone. The method suits for the situations listed below for sure: Update to Global Stable ROM from Global Stable ROM, Update to Global Beta ROM from Global Beta ROM, Update to Global Beta ROM from Global Stable ROM and vice versa. If you encounter the issue that the reboot page keep loading for a long time after flashing, you can choose to wipe all data via entering Recovery Mode. You can turn off your device and then hold both Volume+ button and Power button at the same time to enter Recovery Mode.

Download the latest MIUI ROM file Download here
There is no need to do it again if you’ve already downloaded the latest ROM file.

Connect your device to the Windows PC/laptop via a micro USB cable, and copy the ROM file downloaded in Step 1 into the folder ‘downloaded_rom’ in the internal storage of your device.

Launch ‘Settings’ app on your device, select ‘About phone’, click ‘System update’, then press ‘three dots’ icon at the top-right corner, and select ‘choose update package’ to enter. Choose the ROM file you’ve put in ‘downloaded_rom’ in Step 2.

After choosing the right ROM file, your device will begin upgrading. Your device should automatically boot to the new version when the update is completed.

Last edited:
Same problem here. I personally think I will just throw the Mi 8 out of the window.
I could make it work by using another computer. I think the issue is that the program doesn't work with USB 3.0 ports, which Xiaomi should fix immediately.

I gave you the wrong info, been so long since I did this - sorry.

You need to do this as a "local update", not fastboot.
And you need the correct recovery ROM, not fastboot, China or Global.

After choosing the right ROM file, your device will begin upgrading. Your device should automatically boot to the new version when the update is completed.

Aaaah. That doesn't work because of the silly vendor ROM. Makes this incompatible.
I had to unlock.

My old DualBoot Mac at the end did the job. So completely nuts...

I could make it work by using another computer. I think the issue is that the program doesn't work with USB 3.0 ports, which Xiaomi should fix immediately.

Took me all day to understand THAT bit. Thank you!

Reactions: cobben