New Delayed/not getting email notifications

The Penguin

Members
Aug 13, 2021
I have a POCO F3 and I'm having some issues with my Gmail app. I don't receive (or received delayed) email notifications. Anyone knows how to fix this? I have the battery optimization off for the app, auto start is on, all notifications are on, Gmail settings for my account are also ok..

You can use Outlook app instead, it should not have this issue on MIUI ROMs. ;)

Yes, I've been using Outlook app but since yesterday I'm not getting any emails (like with gmail). I don't know why. It was working and since yesterday I stopped getting emails

Hi, I have exactly the same issue with my POCO F3. Android 11.
Notification On, Battery saver off, Unlimited battery usage for the email apps, all for Sync on Gmail.
I am using Gmail + Bluemail app because Gmail is not doing anything to get the new email while the device is not being touched, (sleep or locked).
Blue mail sometimes works sometimes not..
The common symptom is email apps work when the phone is active in my hand, and NOTHING happens while the phone is not active(sleep or locked and the monitor is off)
I have googled and tried everything I could do, but was not able to find a permanent solution. I asked for help from Xiaomi support but they don't recognize this issue themselves and recommended I look into the forums here.

I wonder if Xiaomi Lab or anybody kind could help me.. I am really in trouble because of this issue with my work.

yes! It's exactly what happens to me! If I do something with the phone, the email notification will appear, while if it remains locked I won't receive anything. I've been using Outlook and it's been working so far...

I am glad to hear that your issue was exactly the same to mine! Does outlook really work? That sounds greawt! Thank you so much for your advice, I will just try to install it now! I will come back with the outcome shortly.

This is standard for Android and later versions. Gmail notifications are not considered high priority by Google, so when your device goes into doze mode (a few minutes after the screen goes off), notifications will only ping through during maintenance windows, where all apps are given a few seconds to do what they need to do before Android goes to sleep again. This behaviour can not be turned off, as otherwise apps would turn it off and you still get apps being bad and draining your battery. The longer the phone is left, the longer the time between maintenance windows, so the notifications get even more delayed.

Chat/messaging notifications are sent high priority and they are allowed to wake the phone and let you know immediately they are there, but after a few, if you haven't read them (i.e. indicating you aren't there perhaps), even those will stop showing up immediately.

If your phone is on charge, then Android doesn't doze and notifications from Gmail you will find come through immediately.

Wow thanks. That was a good explanation. But like I stated above, I've been using Outlook and I get all my emails on time while when I was using Gmail I was lucky if I got one on time because usually they were always delayed (I even received an email with a 40 mins delay)

I suspect Outlook are sending their notifications as high priority, whereas Google have chosen to send theirs as normal priority (which get batched up with other tasks to be done in one go every so often). Do notifications appear shortly after going into the phone when it is powered up? Do they come through immediately when you are charging? If Yes to both those questions then what you are experiencing is by design. The maintenance windows can grow up to an hour apart, but that is usually when the phone hasn't been moved or used in a hour or more. I've had these delays on every Android phone, not just Xiaomi. Anyway hope that helps.

Yes, if I use Gmail and I unlock my phone usually the emails appear right away. If it's locked and in sleep mode it takes longer to receive the emails. And yes, I guess that when it was charging I was receiving them on time. I had a Samsung before I had this POCO F3 and I always used Gmail and got every email on time, never delayed. But thanks for the help!

I am impressed! it totally makes sense, although I am actually so disappointed by knowing how Android later version was designed.
My Telegram app always gives me notice super fast, while Email is being lazy.. However, I followed the kind advice from Mr/Ms The Penguin and Outlook app is working good so far for me, fortunately, Otherwise, I had no other way but to buy another new phone,, (probably iPhone.. which I don't fancy.. )
Thank you guys so much for your kind help!!

I really hope Google review this restriction,, and I hope Outlook to be able to work for the long term,, I hope I can use Poco F3 as long as possible without experiencing this problem again.

Yea, Outlook will keep working fine. It's really a pity that Gmail has this problem because I find the esthetic of Gmail more appealling than Outlook but I rather receive my emails on time instead lool. And yes, I really hope that Google can solve this issue that is happening with many many people that use Xiaomi's phones.