Do I always need to Wipe/Format Data when in TWRP (Joyeuse)

Trxtan2

Members
Sep 26, 2020
For example, I want to update from 11.0.5 to 11.0.7? OR when a MIUI 12 Stable for Joyeuse is released from MIUI 11 (11.0.5 or 11.0.7)?

For example, I want to update from 11.0.5 to 11.0.7? OR when a MIUI 12 Stable for Joyeuse is released from MIUI 11 (11.0.5 or 11.0.7)?
FORMAT data is required at first EU rom installation because stock rom are encrypted.
After when moving within EU rom it is not needed to format data, and you can use OTA as well without wipe.
Only exception is when you go from EU weekly to EU stable or downgrade EU weekly.
NOTE: Anyway keep in mind that if an install issue arise you are forced to format. Same apply if you want to have a real clean install.

Reactions: Trxtan2
FORMAT data is required at first EU rom installation because stock rom are encrypted.
After when moving within EU rom it is not needed to format data, and you can use OTA as well without wipe.
Only exception is when you go from EU weekly to EU stable or downgrade EU weekly.
NOTE: Anyway keep in mind that if an install issue arise you are forced to format. Same apply if you want to have a real clean install.
Thanks for the advice so Iam expecting that since I have the TWRP (in my case 3.4.0-15 of Mauronofrio's Latest TWRP), I can install updates through the Settings or OTA "if I'm correct" without formatting my internal storage. Is it also applicable for the upcoming MIUI 12 Stable for Joyeuse?

Thanks for the advice so Iam expecting that since I have the TWRP (in my case 3.4.0-15 of Mauronofrio's Latest TWRP), I can install updates through the Settings or OTA "if I'm correct" without formatting my internal storage. Is it also applicable for the upcoming MIUI 12 Stable for Joyeuse?
The Data Partition format is done only once, during the first TWRP installation, when the original Xiaomi Global ROM is in the phone, the reason is to remove the encryption. Of course, it doesn't have to be done later. Therefore, if you are installing a new ROM version or changing the TWRP version, you do not need to format the Data partition.

If you hlave in phone MIUI.EU ROM 11.0.5, update to 11.0.7 automatic by OTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trxtan2
The Data Partition format is done only once, during the first TWRP installation, when the original Xiaomi Global ROM is in the phone, the reason is to remove the encryption. Of course, it doesn't have to be done later. Therefore, if you are installing a new ROM version or changing the TWRP version, you do not need to format the Data partition.

If you hlave in phone MIUI.EU ROM 11.0.5, update to 11.0.7 automatic by OTA.

And can i go from stable to weekly without formatting data?

You will have to do a FACTORY RESET in twrp if you want to keep files in internal storage (music, videos, pictures).

If not then FORMAT data

I did it, now it is always booting to TWRP instead of system.
I am just gonna format data (I made a backup) and make a clean flash.

I did it, now it is always booting to TWRP instead of system.
I am just gonna format data (I made a backup) and make a clean flash.
"if not then FORMAT DATA"

So if factory reset doesn't work, then you can format data.