Does EU rom fix notifications? China ROM is trash

Pwmstrade

Members
Jan 28, 2024
As the title asks, does changing into global/eu rom fix the notifications? China rom is extremely unrealiable, despite doing every setting, deleting powerkeeper, trying it all, I cant seem to get reliable notifications. It just doesnt work. Sometimes they come, sometimes they dont, sometimes very delayed. When the screen is unlocked, they arrive now, but not when its locked. This is ridiculous, a 4 year old iphone i have has zero issues right out of the box, meanwhile ive been wasting hours, changing tons of settings, plugging it into adb to tinker and remove apps...

Anyways, the question is, I want to know before wasting more money on paid unlock, if the eu rom actually has any issues at all? Will I just get instant and reliable notifications or not? If yes, I can keep the phone, else I'm selling it. A phone cant be without proper notifications....

In my experience, the notifications work well on eu rom. I've had notification issues with specific apps, like facebug messenger, but those aren't specific to Xiaomi, friends with Samsung have had the same problems.

Most Android apps receive notifications through Google services (saves power to let the system wake up apps only when needed), that's probably why China rom doesn't handle it well.

In my experience, the notifications work well on eu rom. I've had notification issues with specific apps, like facebug messenger, but those aren't specific to Xiaomi, friends with Samsung have had the same problems.

Most Android apps receive notifications through Google services (saves power to let the system wake up apps only when needed), that's probably why China rom doesn't handle it well.
Yes, definitely the stupid rom is making some services go to sleep. Its insane that there is still not a %100 fix for this. I even deleted the com.miui.powerkeeper (battery & performance) app but it still continues. I might look further to delete some other app but there is not too much info

I am also on EU rom and notifications works well.
I also have to say that I did nothing special with my phone (I didn't play with any power saving features nor special system settings).

I am also on EU rom and notifications works well.
I also have to say that I did nothing special with my phone (I didn't play with any power saving features nor special system settings).
Do you use Gmail? For me, after million settings and removing some apps, I sometimes get whatsapp/telegram messages fine, but gmail is mostly delayed. If EU rom fixes this, I might as well do a paid unlock.

Gmail app is unreliable for notifications. try the Microsoft Outlook app.
You mean on Android in general, Chinese ROMs or Xiaomis (both China and .eu ROM?)...I had no notifications coming for outlook also, until I deleted the powerkeeper, and also turned off MIUI optimizations (unlike what some say, it doesnt seem to have cause any issues so far, only my wallpaper got reset, and maybe some settings, but permissions were intact)...

By the way, Gmail notifications work instantaneously on an iphone 12 mini...

I mean Gmail app for android.
The longer Gmail is not used, the longer notifications are delayed. That app is so poorly written, it has the wrong ping interval.

Your modifications to the Chinese ROM are not suitable for proper operation. Install xiaomi.eu ROM.

I mean Gmail app for android.
The longer Gmail is not used, the longer notifications are delayed. That app is so poorly written, it has the wrong ping interval.

Your modifications to the Chinese ROM are not suitable for proper operation. Install xiaomi.eu ROM.
That's sad considering on Apple, the gmail notifications come better than google's own OS...I set it up on Outlook, and even though the notifications come, they're still a bit delayed compared to the iPhone...will the xiaomi.eu ROM fix such an issue. I know the phone itself is quite capable, as it can receive really fast sometimes, but these software bugs are so annoying that I cant enjoy the phone. A phone should receive notifications properly above all, shouldnt it...

I think you should go back to iPhone. You switched from iPhone to Android and straight to a device that is not intended outside of China.;)
I can also use the iPhone 14 Pro (but I don't want to, limited OS) and it also has delayed notifications. Even in its stock Mail app..

I think you should go back to iPhone. You switched from iPhone to Android and straight to a device that is not intended outside of China.;)
I can also use the iPhone 14 Pro (but I don't want to, limited OS) and it also has delayed notifications. Even in its stock Mail app..
I know your point but I sympathize with the previous poster. Xiaomi is trying to directly compete with Apple and Samsung with its phone. At least with their non-China versions. On hardware, it certainly has them beat. The software side is more dubious. We "suffer" with bugs to have options.
At least we have a choice so people who value a good camera over something like "reliable gmail notifications" have a choice.

As for the actual issue, I'm not a xiaomi user YET. I'm currently a Huawei user. There's a place where you can disable the overzealous power management on a per-app basis. I set this on gmail and then have zero issues. I assume Xiaomi has something similar.

Seems to work well for me, you just have to make sure the app is on autostart and the battery is turned to no restrictions. I primarily do that with the apps I need fast notifications from.

Seems to work well for me, you just have to make sure the app is on autostart and the battery is turned to no restrictions. I primarily do that with the apps I need fast notifications from.
Ah, thats exactly what I'm talking about. On Huawei it's called "Auto Launch". Works great

Normally I never use iPhone, its just a phone that was there on the side. Yes, I shouldve looked at it a bit more but people claimed that notifications were not an issue with proper settings, so I believed it. Surely, depending on the network or other conditions, sometimes delays can happen, but there is something consistently wrong here. At least the outlook notifications arrive, but they're also late. I just cant trust the phone now. I'm just afraid that I might lose an important notification or not be able to react it in time. Will probably sell it even though I'm otherwise happy with it.

As I mentioned before. Do not use Chinese ROM! It is not intended for use outside of mainland China and has certain limitations of Google services. Install xiaomi.eu ROM.

As I mentioned before. Do not use Chinese ROM! It is not intended for use outside of mainland China and has certain limitations of Google services. Install xiaomi.eu ROM.
Yes I want to but currently the only option is ncunlock, and I dont even want to give access to my pc to some random person in China. There was this xiaomikey option also. Is it possible to do it by yourself without connecting with anyone else?

Yes I want to but currently the only option is ncunlock, and I dont even want to give access to my pc to some random person in China. There was this xiaomikey option also. Is it possible to do it by yourself without connecting with anyone else?
You can protect yourself. Setup a VM or setup a temporary computer. Use a VPN

Reactions: Pwmstrade
Do you use Gmail? For me, after million settings and removing some apps, I sometimes get whatsapp/telegram messages fine, but gmail is mostly delayed. If EU rom fixes this, I might as well do a paid unlock.
No, I don't use Gmail, I use another email app (I have more email accounts and I don't really like Gmail).
Whatsapp/Telegram works fine.

China rom, whatsapp/telegram works ok, but sometimes i dont get notification for whatsapp i think...gmail with outlook, the mails come but a bit later than the iphone unfortunately.

The battery and performance app on China rom disconnect FCM once you lock your phone.

You can try install an EU rom one to get FCM connected even when you lock it.

Try search it on apk mirror.

It should be named like 'com.miui.powerkeeper_4.2.00.apk'

The battery and performance app on China rom disconnect FCM once you lock your phone.

You can try install an EU rom one to get FCM connected even when you lock it.

Try search it on apk mirror.

It should be named like 'com.miui.powerkeeper_4.2.00.apk'
Thanks for your answer. I actually deleted the whole app, it was under the name com.miui.powerkeeper. The app isnt even visible now. Amongst all the other settings related to battery and permissions, I also turned off Miui optimizations (system optimization on hyperos). So far message apps like whatsapp/telegram work fine, gmail/outlook is a few seconds delayed compared to an iPhone, but at least it seems to be receiving them now. With all these settings, and deleted apps, so far I havent encountered any big issue and the battery life seems quite good even though I havent used it very heavily yet.

This worked on my Xiaomi 14 Ultra

Part 1:

Special Permissions (search for it in main settings), open Unrestricted data - toggle the everything (don't forget to toggle system apps too ( three dots then show system apps) .

Part 2:

Either disable face unlock or check the option that says show notification after facial recognition

Part 3: restart

This worked on my Xiaomi 14 Ultra

Part 1:

Special Permissions (search for it in main settings), open Unrestricted data - toggle the everything (don't forget to toggle system apps too ( three dots then show system apps) .

Part 2:

Either disable face unlock or check the option that says show notification after facial recognition

Part 3: restart
Thanks, I've done it, but I think that this phone is simply unreliable at this point. I tried sending three emails, first one came fast to gmail but not to outlook, the second one came to outlook but not to gmail, third one came to gmail delayed, several seconds later and nothing yet on outlook. (gmail and outlook connected to the same email)

The mainland ROM is very fast and responsive, with instant notifications even for gmail, after you disable "Turn on system optimization" in Developer options.