Easier way to move apps to folders?

doggersen

Members
Oct 10, 2011
Problem:
It seems you have to do a lot of manual work in order to organize your applications into different folders.
As it is now, you have to manually drag'n'drop each and every application (sometimes over several screens), to get it to a certain folder.

That is not a problem if you only have a few applications installed. But if you have something like 50 or more installed, it takes quite some time, for such a simple task.

Suggestion:
Would it not be better, when you go to "edit"-mode, have the option of check-marking a lot of apps at once, and then having the option of "move selected apps to x-folder"?

Ideally some kind of tagging system would be integrated, just like you see on certain apps (app organizer etc.)
The reason why I don't just don't use the above mentioned kind of app, is because they usually don't integrate well with the miui layout, and I don't like being too "dependant" on a single app.

Problem:
It seems you have to do a lot of manual work in order to organize your applications into different folders.
As it is now, you have to manually drag'n'drop each and every application (sometimes over several screens), to get it to a certain folder.

That is not a problem if you only have a few applications installed. But if you have something like 50 or more installed, it takes quite some time, for such a simple task.

Suggestion:
Would it not be better, when you go to "edit"-mode, have the option of check-marking a lot of apps at once, and then having the option of "move selected apps to x-folder"?

Ideally some kind of tagging system would be integrated, just like you see on certain apps (app organizer etc.)
The reason why I don't just don't use the above mentioned kind of app, is because they usually don't integrate well with the miui layout, and I don't like being too "dependant" on a single app.

Nice idea, would tempt me to actually try using the stock launcher too.

Using alt launcher atm

Why not just drag & drop in edit mode? You do know that drag & drop is a lot faster while in editing mode, right?...

Yes, I'm aware of the drag'n'drop in edit mode. It sure works a little easier than in normal mode. But the problem still remains, when you have many applications. Even though they are easy to move from screen to screen, it's still a lot of work having to manually drag 10 apps across 3 screens, to put them in a folder. And then start over with 10 other apps that needs to be moved to yet another folder. and then imagine 50 or more apps in all.

One might say that I could always rearrange my screens, to move some of the apps closer to the folders, so i wouldn't have to drag em across 3 screens, but then it quickly turns into a puzzle game, since the apps are generally really messy from the start.

Now compare that to just accessing a list with all your programs, and then just check-marking those 10 apps that u would want to move. IMO much faster.

I also think this problem will increase for many people, - now that the phones have more and more space (and for people like me that use data2sd and similar), meaning that you can install an almost endless amount of programs and games without running out of space.

Thumps up, I totally agree with you donggersen. I have around 40 apps right now, and its a pain in the ass sorting them. Even with edit mode its hard to drag and drop, because of my mobile cover with big edges around the screen so dropping an app on another screen is pratical imposibe some times. I can then instead seach for my app, or use way to much time to find one app, by sightseeing the five desktops for the app im looking for. Just finding one app can take up to around 2 min.

You mean you don't drop a folder into the dock that's persistent on every home screen?

Seriously guys, I don't see the big deal in setting up your home screens with the current methods; and if you're setting up your home screens differently everyday, well then you need a new hobby...

You mean you don't drop a folder into the dock that's persistent on every home screen?

Seriously guys, I don't see the big deal in setting up your home screens with the current methods; and if you're setting up your home screens differently everyday, well then you need a new hobby...

Thank you for expressing concern about my hobby ;-)
I never talked about setting up my home screens differently everyday though ...

Your dock suggestion is a good one, thank you and much appreciated.
That will actually ease the process to some extend. Since it will not be as necessary to drag'n'drop many icons across several screens.
Still, if you have many folders, it seems you can't fit them all in the dock, and then you have to rearrange the dock every time u need to do a big sorting of apps.
And in my case, i don't even use folders in the dock in the first place, - I have them on my main home screen, and then have the default app-shortcuts in the dock. Meaning that I would have to rearrange that too, if i wanted to do a big sorting of apps.

This might not seem like a big deal if u have already sorted your apps perfectly into folders. then adding a few apps now and then, and then moving them to a folder, is no big deal (that is, if u actually remember to move them to folders on a continual basis).
I guess the toughest part is when you have a new installation of Miui, and you need to sort many many apps.

As suggersen said when you reinstall miui its a problem. Reinstalling that you do alot when doing a upgrade every week, to get the newest update. Then with data 2 sd script the phone has to be wiped clean and miui installed from bottom up for then to install the script again. Then you have to retore your masive pool of apps. Here you go big sorting again. If miui has to have a chance beating iphone, it has to be perfect.

As suggersen said when you reinstall miui its a problem. Reinstalling that you do alot when doing a upgrade every week, to get the newest update. Then with data 2 sd script the phone has to be wiped clean and miui installed from bottom up for then to install the script again. Then you have to retore your masive pool of apps. Here you go big sorting again. If miui has to have a chance beating iphone, it has to be perfect.

Have you used the Backup app? You can backup your desktop layout, you know (among many other things). Also, there was a feature added a week or two ago where if you shake the phone, it will arrange your apps. I haven't used it yet since I backup and restore my desktop layout every week.