Ext4 and MIUI

janeku

Members
Jul 26, 2011
Hi there.
Is it possible to mount Ext4 to already installed MIUI (Desire GSM) , without causingproblems to boot ???? I checked with Gparted and there is a key next to SD card info.
I just wondered how to do this because I did not make any ext partiotion while I put new ROM on my phone.

Also, how can we suggest to MIUI programers do develop application that will make an ext4 partion to our SD card after installing ROM. Something like gparted or similar, but more simple and faster (ask the size of partition and type -ext3/4).

Regards,

Hi there.
Is it possible to mount Ext4 to already installed MIUI (Desire GSM) , without causingproblems to boot ???? I checked with Gparted and there is a key next to SD card info.
I just wondered how to do this because I did not make any ext partiotion while I put new ROM on my phone.

Also, how can we suggest to MIUI programers do develop application that will make an ext4 partion to our SD card after installing ROM. Something like gparted or similar, but more simple and faster (ask the size of partition and type -ext3/4).

Regards,

Miui seems, in my experience, to run best with an ext3 partition. I have used ext4, and it does mount, but at times seems to be seen as ext2 in use and it can be buggy. Easier to just partition as ext3.

Generally, unless you are using gparted in linux, repartitioning the card wipes it. As for miui installing a program to do this, it is probably not the best time to do it after the rom is already loaded. I generally repartition/reformat the card just prior to flashing a new rom because you often lose everything. Also if you reformat/repartition you will need to load the rom back onto the card prior to flashing since the cartd will have been wiped.

If you need to create an ext3 partition, it is probably easiest to do using rom manager or amon_ra recovery.

Whichever method you use, BACKUP the things on your card that you want to keep (music, files, roms, etc) before you start.

If you use amon_ra recovery, create ext partition set the ext partition as 1gb, remainder fat and no swap. Then do ext2 to ext3. Reload your stuff back to the card.

I know that it is the best to do ext4 before everything but unfortunately there wasn't any caution warning that this should be done before updating ROM :) Anyway, I'll try with rom manager, although I have gparted, but do not know how to unlock card (it says it is locked when i connect to it thru my phone) in order to do re-partioning on it. I have an old card reader and buying new one just to format my card is not economically right ;)