First time with Xiaomi and Miui Roms

andru8

Members
Oct 7, 2020
Forgive my ignorance as this is the first time in getting a Xiaomi phone, I have ordered and waiting delivery on a Mi 10 Ultra for use in the UK after reading fantastic reports on it. It will be replacing my P40 Pro which I am running Google services on.

My question is, I will be installing the eu rom once I get the bootloader unlocked , which rom should I go for as I seem to understand Miui comes in Android 10 and Android 11, is that right and if so how can I tell the difference? I want to be able to use Google fully and have Google pay to work so which rom would be the best for all round compatibility?

I will follow the threads on the right one for me but am still confused with all the numbering systems that seem to be used, can anyone help a complete noob to Miui?

Hi, don't panic, think your post was on wrong thread. Try the 10 ultra one for all the latest https://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/xiaomi-mi-10-pro-10-lite-ultra-10t-pro-lite.204/

I have attached my guide for 10 ultra, now we don't use fastboot currently, you will need to first start the unlock, wait 168 hours after fully bonding your account and starting unlock. When it's ready, make sure you have a back up or off phone data source as it will wipe your phone.
The most recent stable is A11 too, so you need to decide which branch you are going to use. If you want stability or mission critical use, then choose stable but if you are happy testing and using new weekly riskyer additions then choose weekly. BUT whatever one you choose, if you swap to the other branch, you will need to format due to possible partition differences.
So download the ROM you want to your PC or off usb stick.
Go to fastboot and using your pc, install twrp. Then boot straight to twrp and install your ROM, making sure you format data this time ( only on first flash unless changing branches). Reboot to system, this will take a while but as long as you see 5g and or miui on screen, just wait. Then it will boot as new phone. More details and pics in my guide and if you need any help or info, pm me.
Good luck and enjoy one of the best phones released in 2020 and I say that as I came from P40 Pro plus.

Attachments

• flashing and twrp guide.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 210
Reactions: andru8
Hi and thanks for your reply, I was debating on returning the phone unopened for a refund once it arrived as I was not sure if it would have been okay for me to use over here, Google pay is something I miss on my P40 Pro. How do you compare the 2 phones after using both?

Would you recommend Android 10 or 11 for me as I want stability? I'm used to flashing rom as I've rooted almost every phone I had and installed custom roms in all of them over the years but this one seems a different level as I'm struggling to find out which is more stable 10 or 11.

A11 is not much different really, if you want stability, just use the most recent stable version. I though there was an A11 stable but can't see it now.
I do use Sky ( O2) on main SIM with EE on SIM 2 for work, so I do suffer lack of 4G on SIM 1 but to be honest, as everyone is using 4g, my 3g throughout is great, so no band 20 is no worry for me.
As for comparison, don't miss the P40 Pro plus and I had GMS on it as I done it real early before the door started to lock but even with GM's, I still couldn't use the company portal as it MUST have full access to GMS and the hacked way of doing it left it unloadable. Photos are as good for me, done some super moon shots and close up macro shots and again, tbh, this is as good as the Huawei but with the EU ROM, this makes this a super phone. Battery is great and if you're a heavy user, it charges so quick, you can be a heavy user.
I will probably buy the Mi11Pro if it is as good as this but I do like large phones, so physical size is important too.
You may find that the safety net says that CTS fails, mine does using the EU ROM but all my banking ( Lloyds) and gpay works but some have installed magisk to ensure it works but I've not done so but if you want to root it ect, there is plenty of help here on these threads as well as the Mi10 Ultra page on XDA forum.