[FIX] Cant add no custom ringtone locale and online playing possible

For anyone thats intrested, this has annoyed me for some time, I did this on my X3 NFC (12.5) and now the F3 5G (13)
# its a work around for non root users #

>Make sure u have a back up of ringtones and notifications on your PC
>Factory reset the device
>Startup without logging into anything or restoring anything (Key here)
>Once into phone and your set to basic and ready to go, plug into PC copy over all Tones required to relavant folders onto phone
>Open the settings for changing tones, everything here now works
I loaded all tones i could ever want inc msg tones, ringtones even for callers, just keep selecting a ringtone, going back select again etc, works for both sims until your ringtone list shows them all.
>Set ones u want - I blank the main notification tone to nothing (manually change them later in apps before restoring though) < at this point i would suggest apps like whatsapp / Discord / Steam chat / Line, you change the tones now before going any further or you may not be able to change them later and they get set to the master notification thats set.
>Lastly Setup Mi & google accounts as required and restore what you want.

OK this is a very long winded route i admit, but works each time, however, minute you change the themes app or update stuff you maybe locked out once again. So i find this could be a 1 hit wonder till i get around to unlocking the bootloader and installing recovery program.
After spending an hr setting things back up all tones are still there and changable all the time - still working around the silly independant msg tone

Last edited:
Reactions: katerpanne
All this to have separate ringtones????
I have mi 11 lite 5g and this is the worst phone i have ever had in my life. Proximity sensor dont work, calednar not syncing, when you set personal tone to contact you dont see it.
The true fact is last huawei i had was rolls royce compared to xiaomi. I will sell this phone and return back to huawei. It is easier to install google and have a perfect phone.
I regret the day i bought xiaomi.
And software on huawei si so more intuitive i and easier to use, from dialing from two sims, to sending sms (changing from which sim)... Comparing xiaomi to huawei (or samsung) is like driving $10k car and $100$.
If i didnt try i would not believe how many bugs this phone has, from software to hardware... It is just broken.
And no... I will not waste may time reseting my phone for f... ringtone to work! I am not some kid with plenty of time. I just want to hear by ringtone how is calling me. Is that so fu... hard??
And of course, to have a phone call and not messing my phone with face beacause proximitiy sensor doesnt work...

Last edited:
All this to have separate ringtones????
I have mi 11 lite 5g and this is the worst phone i have ever had in my life. Proximity sensor dont work, calednar not syncing, when you set personal tone to contact you dont see it.
The true fact is last huawei i had was rolls royce compared to xiaomi. I will sell this phone and return back to huawei. It is easier to install google and have a perfect phone.
I regret the day i bought xiaomi.
And software on huawei si so more intuitive i and easier to use, from dialing from two sims, to sending sms (changing from which sim)... Comparing xiaomi to huawei (or samsung) is like driving $10k car and $100$.
If i didnt try i would not believe how many bugs this phone has, from software to hardware... It is just broken.
And no... I will not waste may time reseting my phone for f... ringtone to work! I am not some kid with plenty of time. I just want to hear by ringtone how is calling me. Is that so fu... hard??
And of course, to have a phone call and not messing my phone with face beacause proximitiy sensor doesnt work...
hi we are talking about weekly beta versions…
its up to you if you want to install a beta version.

sometimes there are issues in stable versions.
I only made this guide to help.

Kind regards

hi we are talking about weekly beta versions…
its up to you if you want to install a beta version.

sometimes there are issues in stable versions.
I only made this guide to help.

Kind regards
I didnt see this is about beta versions. I have 13.0.9

Surpsingly at MIUI 14.0.23.0 on Poco F5 and I still have this problem
Only default ringtones and notification sounds work

Has anybody managed to find a fix?

I tried themes app, zedge and deleting /Android/data/com.android.thememanager/files/MIUI/.ringtones or resetting its permissions to full access (log files say permission denied) to no avail

Hello together,

I have a MI11 Ultra (weekly 21.5.20 - clean install) and I am not able to setup AND play a custom ringtone (*.mp3 and *.ogg)
I can choose a custom ringtone (locale & online) but the phone is not playing it when I get a call. Its playing an old default tone.
Same for alarms & notifications. If I choose / add the ringtone, I can play & hear the ringtone
  • First it was not possible to choose a custom ringtone with filemanager, so I have downloaded "mi file manager" from playstore (now I have two of them)
    • and now I can choose filemanager while setup a custom ringtone
  • I have selected in settings ringtones and activated them (music, filemanger, audio files, recorder, tones) I have tried all of them
  • I have copied the ringtones in the folder "ringtones"
  • I have cleared the cache / data in themes / phone
  • I have selected other themes
  • I have configured in themes the custom ringtone
  • I have checked the permissions of the folders (rwx) / apps (storage)
  • I have deletet the data / cache of the Permission app
Perhaps it is a permission issue:
The default ringtones from MIUi are stored in "\system\media\audio\...\" -> folder: rwxr-xr-x and file: rw-r--r--
The online or custom ringtones are stored in "\sdcard\MIUI\...\" -> folder: rwx------ and file: rw-------
[Edit] - with the help from @Poney70 I have corrected the permissions -> the problem exists already.

The system table looks quiet good, the entries are there but they are not playing:

<k>ringtone</k><v>file:///storage/emulated/0/MIUI/.ringtone/mark.mp3</v>
<k>ringtone_sound_slot_1</k><v>file:///storage/emulated/0/MIUI/.ringtone/mark.mp3</v>
<k>ringtone_sound_slot_2</k><v>file:///storage/emulated/0/MIUI/.ringtone/2011techno.1.mp3</v>
Nothing is working for a custom ringtone. If I choose one of the internal default ringtones from miui, it is working

But after some logcat investigations, here we go ...
The permissions of "/data/system/theme_magic" is the issue.
So I have manually deleted the folder "theme_magic".
While setup a custom ringtone the folder will be recreated with correct permissions.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[Fix]: TWRP Module
Run this TWRP Module and you should be able to choose your own ringtones.
Credits for the cool ScriptBody goes to @Poney70 -> Thank you very much ! Mount data in twrp if it is not mounted already!

[Workaround]: MagiskModule
Copy ringtomes to "\system\media\audio\ringtones"
Now I can choose the ringtones from the miui default ringtones AND the phone is playing them if I get a call / alarm / notification

Here is the link for the MagiskModule
To use yours and not my ringtones copy your tones into the zip-file and install with magisk
  • copy your ring tones into the zip-folder -> system\media\audio\ringtones
  • copy your alarm tones into the zip-folder -> system\media\audio\alarms
  • copy your notification tones into the zip-folder -> system\media\audio\notifications
Use the Tool "Zedge" from Playstore to set a custom ringtone:
  • with this tool you can setup your ringtones directly from the tool
  • using the MIUI sound settings, click custom and choose Zedge instead of filemanager, music ...
In the first screen there is an advertising (german version), click in the left upper corner the "x" to close it
choose your ringtone and set it

Happy weekend, regards Kater
Hello! i have a xiaomi 13 with Xiaomi Hyper os. I had a lot of models of Xiaomi, dnt had that problem, but now i have it...I Can not customise rington for a contact, just general ringtone for both sims..Same problem like others here..Still.. Where i can find those folders in my phone? How can i get in there

/data/system/theme_magic or...
  • system\media\audio\ringtones Thanks