Full Guide How To Install Custom Recovery, Backup And Flash A New Rom On Redmi 2 4g

Podovsky

Members
Oct 29, 2014
Hi,

I made a full guide on how to flash CWM, make a nandroid backup and flash a new ROM on your Redmi 2 4G. Credits go to guille9191 and SubhrajitNath. This guide is a mixture of the guides and tools that were posted by these 2 people.

Edit: I replaced the recovery from SubhrajitNath with a Philz Touch recovery in this guide since the first recovery didn't seem to work properly anymore. Philz Touch works fine and has more options.

This guide is for international HM2014811 Redmi 2 4G only!

Please verify whether you have the HM2014811(Global 4G) or HM2014813 (Chinese) version. You can find the model number located under the battery: http://i.imgur.com/p4qIRul.jpg

1. Flashing Custom Recovery

Tools:

MiFlashtool (ADB / Fastboot drivers): http://bigota.d.miui.com/tools/MiPhone20140509.exe

CWM Recovery HM2014811:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15QzivpF7leY0JxM0E5QTJvT3M/edit

(A download link for HM2014813 recovery can be found in SubhrajitNath’s post: http://en.miui.com/thread-77096-1-1.html)

(Optional: ADB tools: https://mega.co.nz/#!N8dhWIgR!1x-sCXtzdVd3OgBpWWOUARy3HxnvjwealY8-FvesNV4)

Before starting:

Note: I am not sure whether you need to install usb drivers (it was working on my pc but maybe I already had drivers installed from a previous phone). I also had Multi lang ROM already flashed on my Redmi 2 HM2014811 using stock recovery. I am NOT responsible for any damage to your phone, perform at your own risk!

• Enable USB debugging on the phone (To enable USB debugging, go to Settings > About phone and then tap on Android version 5 times. Developer Options will be enabled. Go back to Settings > Developer options and enable USB debugging.
  • Rename the file named recovery-from-boot.p to allow a permanent cwm recovery flash. You will need a root browser with root permissions (for example Root Browser by JRummy Apps Inc from the Play store). Don’t forget to give the root browser root permission in the Security > Permissions > Root permissions menu.

Flashing CWM:

• Open MiFlash folder > ADB > Google > Android
  • Now Hold down "Shift" button on your computer keyboard and right click with the mouse on an empty part of the window. You will see that in the menu that appears, you have an option - "open command window here". Click on that.
  • To verify if ADB is working and installed correctly, type "adb version" in the command window that opened without the code. You should get the adb version which means its working fine.
  • Turn off your Phone. When it is completely switched off, press and hold "Volume Down" and "Power" button together and then the phone will turn on in Fastboot mode.
  • Use the USB cable to connect Phone to PC.
  • Copy the recovery image file to the Android folder where we are running the Command prompt and rename it to Recovery.img.
  • In command promt type: fastboot devices
  • Once you enter that command, you will get a non-empty name for the device meaning the device is connected. Proceed to enter the next command to flash recovery image:
  • Type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  • Once you enter this command, the CWM recovery image will be flashed on your device. Once it is completed, enter the final command to reboot your phone:
  • Type: fastboot reboot
Credits go to guille9191 and SubhrajitNath. This guide is a mixture of the guides and tools that were posted by these 2 people (see Links below).

Links:
http://www.movilesdualsim.com/tema/xiaomi-redmi-2-cwm-recovery-hm2014811.92499/
http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/how-to-install-cwm-recovery-for-redmi-2-hm2014811.27146/
http://en.miui.com/thread-77096-1-1.html

2. After flashing Custom Recovery:

• You may want to backup your apps and settings in MIUI before proceeding.
  • I suggest making a full backup before proceeding. Turn off your Phone. When it is completely switched off, press and hold "Volume Up" and "Power" button together and then the phone will turn on in boot menu. Select recovery and the phone will boot in your new CWM recovery.
  • In the recovery go to backup and restore and select backup (you can choose between internal storage or SD card, I recommend making backup to SD card).
  • Making a backup will take some time. The backup will be located in a folder named clockworkmod. I recommend making a backup of your backup on your pc in case you accidentally wipe your SD card.

3. Flashing a new ROM:

• Reboot your phone.
  • Download a ROM (for MIUI multi language ROM go to: http://xiaomi.eu/community/)
  • Place the ROM on your SD card
  • Turn off your Phone. When it is completely switched off, press and hold "Volume Up" and "Power" button together and then the phone will turn on in boot menu. Select recovery and the phone will boot in your CWM recovery.
  • You can either perform a full wipe of data and cache (all settings will be lost) or proceed straight away to Install Zip (from SD card). Choosing the latter will keep your settings and apps (I recommend this one for performing weekly friday updates).
  • After selecting Install Zip choose Zip file on the SD card and the ROM will be flashed.
  • When completed reboot the phone.
  • Done!
When something is missing or when you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Podovsky

Last edited:
Reactions: kiswum
Thank you very much for this guide.
I haven't tested it yet, but I guess that it will help many people!

Average user doesn't need CWM recovery. Why messing with people heads? Every MIUI rom can be installed on top of chinese factory and it doesn't require any custom recovery. CWM is only useful (but not needed) to do backup - altough MIUI has its own tool for that.

Because this "quide" people will think they have to go this procedure to install our multilanguage rom which is not true. Our rom can be installed via Updater app - and thats all what average user have to know.

Reactions: a4c
Average user doesn't need CWM recovery. Why messing with people heads? Every MIUI rom can be installed on top of chinese factory and it doesn't require any custom recovery. CWM is only useful (but not needed) to do backup - altough MIUI has its own tool for that.

Because this "quide" people will think they have to go this procedure to install our multilanguage rom which is not true. Our rom can be installed via Updater app - and thats all what average user have to know.

I didn't state that people have to do this. It is just a guide to help people that want to have a custom recovery. There are not only average users out here, I think the average user won't even use this website but will just be using his phone out of the box. More experienced users know that a custom recovery can be usefull.

actually i'm new and i thought i have to flash a custom recovery from guide, not sure when this is usefull

can i make a full backup with standard recovery?
con i find my self in some situation while updating ROM or changing ROM with stack / boot loop phone and i need to use a custom recovery?

can't i always restore with this method and stock recovery?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

actually i'm new and i thought i have to flash a custom recovery from guide, not sure when this is usefull

can i make a full backup with standard recovery?
con i find my self in some situation while updating ROM or changing ROM with stack / boot loop phone and i need to use a custom recovery?

can't i always restore with this method and stock recovery?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can not make a full backup with standard recovery (as you can see in your video). Yes you can update from standard recovery but in case anything goes wrong you can't load a nandroid backup.

MIUI has some backup functions but mainly for backup of contacts, photo's and so on.

in case something goes wrong will updating a ROM i don't have any way to restore my phone?
even losing all my content? i would have a bricked phone?

edit: can't i use a google play app to make a full nandroid backup? if is possible can you suggest one?

There are other ways to restore your phone but it requires more work (search forums for unbrick phone).

I'm not sure whether an app would do the job, maybe you can make a backup, but when you mess up your rom you cant load your backup anymore when your OS is damaged. Custom recovery allows you to backup and restore whenever you want.

Great guide Podovsky, will help the 'average' user to get a 'proper' backup of their phone.

In HM2014813 version, how can I reverse the TWRP for MiRecovery?

Tks

I Think when you flash a new rom the custom recovery asks something like: "do you want to disable flash recovery?" Maybe try selecting No instead of Yes.

great guide @Podovsky, with a better english than mine it seems more useful
it is true that is not neceserary for lots of people to flash a cwm but the people who enjoy to modify the OS may think hat this guide is really usefull