New Google Drive backup bug? Backup gone after reboot [updated]

moskito99

Members
Oct 4, 2021
[updated description below because it seems like backups dissappear after reboot]

Not sure if this is from ROM or the Google Drive app.

After a day or two my Google backup of my phone dissappears. Even though done successfully before and also shown in Google Drive, it dissappears after a day or two. It seems like this happens only after rebooting the phone. There are also comments below about this

Phone tells me in the app that first backup needs to be done and in Google drive backup folder its gone.

Never happened before I used xiaomi.eu Roms. Any known issues?

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_024736.jpg
    IMG_20220212_024736.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Again my backup dissappeared. Very strange :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-15-02-19-00-546_com.google.android.apps.subscriptions.red.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-02-15-02-19-00-546_com.google.android.apps.subscriptions.red.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: h464r and RaviAbas
did it happen again ?
yes. I gave up on it for now. Maybe I raise with Google. Even if it's done manually, after few days it's gone again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-04-16-32-47-522_com.google.android.gms-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-04-16-32-47-522_com.google.android.gms-edit.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: h464r
yes. I gave up on it for now. Maybe I raise with Google. Even if it's done manually, after few days it's gone again.
I assume your xiaomi.eu ROM is china based and not global based. That's the primary reason you can't backup

I assume your xiaomi.eu ROM is china based and not global based. That's the primary reason you can't backup
If you read my post, you can clearly see that I can backup...But now and then the backup disappears for some reason.

Reactions: h464r
I can confirm that Google backup just dissappears when phone reboots. It's just gone.

Tried twice today. Just now and about 11 hours ago.

Initally created ticket for Poco F3, but same issue on my 11pro since May 2022. Can't recall if I had this on Miui12, but on Miui13 I always lost all backups (as it seems by reboot).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-22-21-52-01-519_com.google.android.gms-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-22-21-52-01-519_com.google.android.gms-edit.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I can confirm that Google backup just dissappears when phone reboots. It's just gone.

Tried twice today. Just now and about 11 hours ago.

Initally created ticket for Poco F3, but same issue on my 11pro since May 2022. Can't recall if I had this on Miui12, but on Miui13 I always lost all backups (as it seems by reboot).
Same issue/bug on my Poco F3.
I'm still waiting some feedback from Xiaomi.eu's Dev Team.

But if a function, which I think is important, does not work on a (Google) Android-based system, it cannot be up to Google to fix this bug. Especially since it obviously works outside the xiaomi.eu cosmos.
Or is a core function of the operating system not worth checking?

Not sure what feedback you're expecting. Google Backup is not an MIUI feature, we don't have any control over it.
Xiaomi.eu is a awesome custom ROM and I´m very happy with the Weeklies for Poco F3. But I don't know if I get what you said.
The Google Backup was working flawless on my account when running the MIUI by Xiaomi but is not working with MIUI.EU
After restarting the phone the backup functionality is disabled and the backup file is deleted from Google One automatically.
It isn´t the first issue that I report between .EU and Google services (Google Apps broken link Report) and some incompatibility may be occurring in the .EU version.
That's why I'm asking for some feedback from the Dev Team. Let me know if you need any input from my side.

Regards,

Opened a ticket also now at Google at Google One Support.

[Update: Google has acknowledged that they check my account and backup]

Last edited:
Reactions: Birraque
Not sure what feedback you're expecting. Google Backup is not an MIUI feature, we don't have any control over it.
When searching the Xiaomi.eu forum I found many reports of issues with Google Backup in Weekly & Stable builds.
When we do some workarounds like THIS to get GPay to work some side effects could happen. But I'm not suggesting that is the source of the current reported issue. That's only an example that some mods made by the developer side could be the source of backup unstably.
Google Backup with current Weekly.eu seems not to be reliable. Backup service disables when restarting the device or even without restarting. Listening to user's feedback and investigating further would only improve the reliability of the MIUI.eu builds.
Count with you to address it.

Listening to user's feedback and investigating further would only improve the reliability of the MIUI.eu builds.
Count with you to address it.
All of the mods we have to make Google Pay and SafetyNet pass are mandatory, so there is no point in investigating anything if the source of the problem is one of these mods, because we don't have any other choice.

All of the mods we have to make Google Pay and SafetyNet pass are mandatory, so there is no point in investigating anything if the source of the problem is one of these mods, because we don't have any other choice.
I didn't said these mods are the source of the issue. Unless you're now confirming then it was just an example. Lacks a Google Backup to recover from is not a trivial concern.
Since Xiaomi.eu is not open source custom ROM project then only the Dev Team can investigate and seek to address a fix or workaround.
I understand that sometimes we don't have other choice but It's always a good practice if there is no solution to announce it as Known Bug for Weekly and/or Stable builds.
Thanks in advance for your great work to keep running and improving .EU for us.

Regards,

If Google was a company relatively useful in terms of support it would be useful to ask them for logs of what accesses your drive space at the time the backup is deleted.

Reactions: moskito99
If Google was a company relatively useful in terms of support it would be useful to ask them for logs of what accesses your drive space at the time the backup is deleted.
"IF"....they closed the ticket explaining that phone should be used with regular OS from Xiaomi and not xiaomi.eu version (because its modified). I told them that these are based on official xiaomi versions that even keep your warranty etc....So far they have not replied...Still I think they should at least check my debug etc to see what happens upon bootup and why it is deleted from Drive even though its there before reboot...

For now I would say Google support is useless to look into it..

For me this means to make extra sure that backup is done and on my GDrive before I clean install some ROM on my Mi11pro.

Last edited:
"IF"....they closed the ticket explaining that phone should be used with regular OS from Xiaomi and not xiaomi.eu version (because its modified). I told them that these are based on official xiaomi versions that even keep your warranty etc....So far they have not replied...Still I think they should at least check my debug etc to see what happens upon bootup and why it is deleted from Drive even though its there before reboot...

For now I would say Google support is useless to look into it..

For me this means to make extra sure that backup is done and on my GDrive before I clean install some ROM on my Mi11pro.
Doesn't matter if your backup is done.
There isn't possible to restore it in Xiaomi.eu build. This functionality doesn't works for us. That's it!

Doesn't matter if your backup is done.
There isn't possible to restore it in Xiaomi.eu build. This functionality doesn't works for us. That's it!
Update for all. Backup works now with Miu14 (first weekly) Mi11pro and is not deleted upon restart of phone.

Restarted 3x and still there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-18-22-32-18-875_com.google.android.apps.subscriptions.red.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-18-22-32-18-875_com.google.android.apps.subscriptions.red.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited: