New Google Pay security issue.

YungM

Members
Apr 14, 2017
during Google pay setup at the last screen it shows that Google Pay couldnt finish setup the phone maybe Rooted or alternate reasons.
by knowing that i have never rooted my phone, i have only unlocked it to instal Xiaomi.eu Rom.
I'm using MI MIX 3 and here is a screenshot from Google Pay app.

during Google pay setup at the last screen it shows that Google Pay couldnt finish setup the phone maybe Rooted or alternate reasons.
by knowing that i have never rooted my phone, i have only unlocked it to instal Xiaomi.eu Rom.
I'm using MI MIX 3 and here is a screenshot from Google Pay app.
View attachment 24489
Which rom version? Delete app data and try setting up your card or PayPal again.

Gesendet von meinem MI 8 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Joshua Pau
Same thing here with Mi9 and last version of the ROM.
Deleting the app data didn't solve the problem.
Okay... Looks like it's Mi9 related. Extensively using Google pay on 26 without any issue.

Same issue here on my Mi 8.
Since i switched to EU Rom (before i used the global Beta) i'm not able to use GPay any more. Can't finish the connection between Gpay and Paypal. Already cleared and reinstalled all Apps involved (also Google Framework and Play Cache and Data cleared)

Tested with 9.4.25 and 9.4.26 (not rooted)

Last edited:
Which rom version? Delete app data and try setting up your card or PayPal again.

its not just happened recently to specify the Room Version. im an active member on Xiaomi.eu and i update my room weekly. so this issue persist since a while already.

i have deleted the app and re-installed and tried to clear Data and log-in again, but its not solved.
the problem is deep in the ROM because Google sees its not secured. the ROM should be updated and become to the Google's required security level.

Reactions: themsn
Okay... Looks like it's Mi9 related. Extensively using Google pay on 26 without any issue.

but i m using Mi Mix 3 and also have the issue. its not just Mi9 related issue.

@JosephX12
Really Locked Bootloader with Xiaomi.eu Rom?
I would suggest a unlocked Bootloader is causing this problem, not a locked Bootloader...

It's what Google said, however when checking through fastboot my bootloader says it is indeed unlocked.

So I've no idea at all. But from the sounds of things Google don't have an issue with us using custom ROMs as they were advising me to contact xioami to re-unlock the bootloader.

Real pain though as I hate carrying my wallet but really want to use Xiaomi.eu rom

Have you tried the fix in this thread?

It worked for me on 9SE
Yeah deleting gms does nothing.

I'm still yet to readd cards but I need to set up an alternative card for my subscriptions before I can remove it. I'm sure I'll get there eventually bits it's super annoying. Never had an issue like this.

This is not a issue with xiaomi.eu, you can check the tests I did back on the day over 9.4.26 (https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/9-4-25-26.50275/page-20#post-484634)

My best guess is that Google its able to discern an unlocked bootloader and thus marks our installations as not secure and Google Pay doesn't work, but this happens also with Global Developer from miui.com. As for Magisk, I believe Google already has a method of detecting it, since you can find several posts over their GitHub regarding this issue, independent of the device used.

Right now I believe the only workaround would be to have a custom kernel without Magisk installed, so Google won't be able to access the bootloader information (since the kernel should hide it from it), but the only working kernel requires Magisk (at least over Mi 9) in order to be installed successfully.

BTW, my last test was to flash the same Global Developer ROM from miui.com (the one that failed previously), but this time I flashed via fastboot and set to lock the bootloader. With this last setup I'm able to use Google Pay without any issue, hence my guess that Google is able to see if its locked or not.

Right now I believe the only workaround would be to have a custom kernel without Magisk installed, so Google won't be able to access the bootloader information (since the kernel should hide it from it), but the only working kernel requires Magisk (at least over Mi 9) in order to be installed successfully.

Of course I'd like to stay on EU. Do you know a working kernel for Mi 8 that can hide the unlocked bootloader? I just tried Extreme and Sphinx Kernel, but obviously that doesn't work :-(

Last edited:
@grandman
As far i read in this and other Forum, it won't work with open Bootloader on most Xiaomi Phones, for most users. There are still some user with unlocked Bootloader and working GPay, also some rooted users with working Gpay out there.
As far it seems nobody could tell exactly, when Gpay will stop working.

Maybe there are a lot of dependencies like App Versions, used Payment Method (PayPal, Credit Card,...) and some other variables (Country, Region...)

Reactions: grandman