Help beginner at Mi2S system basic question

fiftyakajj

Members
Aug 19, 2013
Hello everyone

My Mi2s will be at my place at the 1st of september. At this moment im trying to read as much about the phone and how too update my phone. So i have a few question. (by the way if there is a admin in dutch maybe that would be a bit easier for me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION 1
When you get the phone you can update it in two different ways:

a) Using Updater App
To use this method
and
b) Using pre-installed Recovery
For this method

but I dont really understand what the differents is between those two options.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION 2
Then I see on the site two different things:

MIUI Multi lang

and

Sticky​
so my question is whats the differents between these two things?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION 3
Then you have for multi lang something called GAPPS what is this and how do you install those things?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope someone can help me with these questions because i dont wanna f**k up my phone because i dont know what i am doing.
so thanks in advance and hope you can help me
JJ.Postma

Because if you did search a little, you would find answers to all your questions.

Odoslané z MI 2 cez Tapatalk 2

I have been searching for a bit. So else i wouldnt make a topic right:( but anyways thanks for your help

i am also new but i think i can answer them
1. updater app always updates the OTHER system (for example if you are booted into system 1 then it will flash/update to system 2 ), with stock recovery you always flash to system 1

2. changelog topic only includes the changes from last version to new version, the multilang topic has download links to multilanguage version of the rom, official rom only has english/chinese , multilang has many other languages

3.you don't have to do anything with GAPPS since are included in the rom for your phone, just for info gapps are the google apps (play store,... ) and on other phones you have to install them manually

For your first question,
you first need to understand Mi2(S) have 2 partition, what this means is that we have two different version of MIUI installed in a single phone.

So when you're using the updater app, you will only be able to update the inactive partition, e.g: if you're now in partition 1 then you can only update partition 2 and vice versa.

On the other hand, bootloader can only be used to update partition 1.

Long story short, it shouldn't matter much to most people so use whichever one that you find convenient which in most case, the updater app.

For your second question, it is self explained where the multi language version have more language available as opposed to the original version which only have 2 languages.

There are of course some other differences between the 2 but I've again, nothing major you need to be concerned with.

As for your last question, gapps is Google application suite, Mi2(S) version of MIUI you download from here is pre-installed with it, only other devices and the official MIUI are required to install it manually so once again, nothing major to be concerned about.

Reactions: Pixa and fiftyakajj
Abinigami, thank you very much. Im just concerned About it. But thanks for the explaining. I have only ons more question. Probably it wont be my concern either but oké. I saw that you also can flash it. I didnt really understand why you need it. Thanks alot for explaining me, im just a beginner so a those short names got me scared.

For your first question,
you first need to understand Mi2(S) have 2 partition, what this means is that we have two different version of MIUI installed in a single phone.

So when you're using the updater app, you will only be able to update the inactive partition, e.g: if you're now in partition 1 then you can only update partition 2 and vice versa.

On the other hand, bootloader can only be used to update partition 1.

Long story short, it shouldn't matter much to most people so use whichever one that you find convenient which in most case, the updater app.

For your second question, it is self explained where the multi language version have more language available as opposed to the original version which only have 2 languages.

There are of course some other differences between the 2 but I've again, nothing major you need to be concerned with.

As for your last question, gapps is Google application suite, Mi2(S) version of MIUI you download from here is pre-installed with it, only other devices and the official MIUI are required to install it manually so once again, nothing major to be concerned about.

Abinigami, thank you very much. Im just concerned About it. But thanks for the explaining. I have only ons more question. Probably it wont be my concern either but oké. I saw that you also can flash it. I didnt really understand why you need it. Thanks alot for explaining me, im just a beginner so a those short names got me scared.

Flash is usually used to modify SYSTEM level modification, usually used to fix very specific problems such as GPS or Radio. Somewhere along the line, you might have to use this feature but for the most part, you should be fine without it.

Flash is usually used to modify SYSTEM level modification, usually used to fix very specific problems such as GPS or Radio. Somewhere along the line, you might have to use this feature but for the most part, you should be fine without it.
Thanks for you time mate!!!