Help! Phone Bricked (?) After Updating

IanLovesStudy

Members
Nov 15, 2020
A week ago I unlocked my phone and installed the xiaomi.eu rom. Everything worked perfectly, until I updated my phone. I simply used the system's updater app, which downloaded the update I think and restarted my phone for the update. The problem is, once the phone is restarted, it is stuck on the start screen. It never loads into the OS. I tried to boot into fastboot and TWRP. Fastboot seems fine and TWRP seems broken (stuck on start screen). To sum up, I can do fastboot but not TWRP and OS.

My goal is to keep my data.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this? Thank you so much!

My best guess is that TWRP (which was fine when I installed xiaomi.eu rom) is broken so when the phone tries to update using it, it is unable to do so and is stuck on startup. I don't know why booting into the OS is also stuck though, because the update has really started (?) and the system should be intact.

I have the same problem on Poco F2 Pro.
Phone is in bootloop, it just keeps restarting and only shows the Poco screen for a few seconds, after that it restarts again...

I can get it into Fastboot, but that's all.

Any way to get this fixed?
Any way to recover the photos on the phone?

Thanks!

I have the same problem on Poco F2 Pro.
Phone is in bootloop, it just keeps restarting and only shows the Poco screen for a few seconds, after that it restarts again...

I can get it into Fastboot, but that's all.

Any way to get this fixed?
Any way to recover the photos on the phone?

Thanks!
I find the following on the rom page:
About TWRP issue for cmi/umi/lmi: it has been fixed by new TWRP builds for these devices - download these builds here: Mi 10 Pro, Redmi K30 Pro, Mi 10.
If you are flashing our ROM first time - flash these recoveries ONLY AFTER FLASH 20.10.15 and above for cmi/lmi, AFTER 20.11.5 for umi - otherwise you will get infinitive blinks on TWRP splash! Your recovery will be replaced automatically during 20.11.11/12 install as well. These TWRP builds don't support /data decryption - next updates have to be installed via USB-OTG (adb sideload doesn't work).

So I guess we Poco F2 / Redmi K30 Pro users are not supposed to update in the normal way.

And I find a very easy fix: simply reinstall TWRP. Just flash and boot the TWRP version you used before and then boot to system. It works for me.

I find the following on the rom page:
About TWRP issue for cmi/umi/lmi: it has been fixed by new TWRP builds for these devices - download these builds here: Mi 10 Pro, Redmi K30 Pro, Mi 10.
If you are flashing our ROM first time - flash these recoveries ONLY AFTER FLASH 20.10.15 and above for cmi/lmi, AFTER 20.11.5 for umi - otherwise you will get infinitive blinks on TWRP splash! Your recovery will be replaced automatically during 20.11.11/12 install as well. These TWRP builds don't support /data decryption - next updates have to be installed via USB-OTG (adb sideload doesn't work).

So I guess we Poco F2 / Redmi K30 Pro users are not supposed to update in the normal way.

And I find a very easy fix: simply reinstall TWRP. Just flash and boot the TWRP version you used before and then boot to system. It works for me.

First... Thank you!

Second, how do I flash TWRP from fastboot?

Thanks again!

First... Thank you!

Second, how do I flash TWRP from fastboot?

Thanks again!
First you need to comfirm that we have the same problem: installed the xiaomi.eu rom successfully before, but got bootloop after the latest update.
If your problem isn't the exact same as mine, my fix probably won't work.

Second, check the installation guide on the rom release page: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/20-11-11-12.58344/
I'm copying the useful part:
  • (only if your phone is locked) Unlock your first bootloader here http://en.miui.com/unlock/
  • Install TWRP via Fastboot mode, then install our ROM
  • Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot boot twrp.img
  • TWRP Recovery Zip DOWNLOAD or TWRP.ME
Just do the steps above and it should work.