How do I restore contacts/messages from local backup (Mi9 MIUI) to my new Xiaomi 14 (HyperOS)?

JoePurple

Members
Mar 22, 2024
Hello all (first post so please be gentle),

PLEASE can some wise person help me restore my contacts/messages from my old Mi9 MIUI local backup to my new Xiaomi 14 HyperOS?

I used to own a Xiaomi Mi9 (latest official ROM). I backed this up using the Xiaomi software to my PC, (AllBackup folder, etc.) a few weeks ago. I then brought a Xiaomi Mi14. I went to restore the backup by transfering the backup files to the backup folder on my Xiaomi Mi14. I then went to 'backup and restore' in options, clicked restore, selected the correct date with the lastest backup files. I then got a message asking if I wanted to restore the contacts/dialer and/or system apps. I tried both but the system apps. completely altered the layout of my phone icons and messed it up completely (I have no idea why). I did a factory rest on the phone, followed the same process but only selected 'restore contacts/dialer'. I got an error message saying 'file format not supported' (even though I used the official Xiaomi software to backup my old phone and the official software to restore the backup!)

I thought the problem was the new HyperOS uses Google's call and contacts and text eco-system, therefore my old school 'contacts' and 'messages' Xioami apps. couldn't be restored as they don't exist on HyperOS. I decided to unlock my bootloader and install the latest Weekly eu.rom release from this site. I have now completed the process, but when I follow the proceduce again, I can find the dated backup files, but when I select the blue 'restore' button at the bottom of the screen, nothing happens. No error message, nothing. I'm at a loss of how to fix this but obviouslyh I really want to keep my contact numbers. It's frustrating when I know I have them backed up (the file formats are all .bak) but can't access/restore/do anything with them. I have already tried renaming the file type from .bak to .vcf and several other online fixes, but it STILL says 'file format not supported'.

PLEASE can some wise person help me restore my contacts/messages? Is it possible to correctly convert the .bak files to another file type that the HyperOS can recognise? Would using the latest stable eu.ROM release fix the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. :)

Hi, I don't know whats happend, but I can say that I have restored contacts without any problem, on 3 Xiaomi phones, 12X, 12S Pro, and 13 Pro, from Miui to HyperOS.
I only restored google acount from old phone, to new one, and all of my contacts appears well.
The contacts app, in all phones is Miui dialer, (I have xiaomi.eu roms) not Google, so I think, if you have your contacts well placed in Google acount (you can see it in pc browser) you must restore it without looses.

Enviat des del meu Xiaomi 12S Pro fent servir Tapatalk