How to get rid of "approximate location is on" notifications?

crotach

Members
Aug 4, 2022
Hi folks,

Since upgrading to MIUI 14 I'm constantly getting a tiny notification on top of the screen saying "approximate location is on" and offering a link to "settings". It usually disappears before I can click on it, but if I'm lucky enough to click it, it offers me a choice of sending the approximate location to the app that requested it, or to change it to my actual location.

This seems to happen whenever an app requests location, which is super annoying. Is there any way to just set it to approximate, and I'll change it to the real location for the few apps that actually need it (like navigation for example).

Just to be clear, it's not the functionality that I find annoying, it's the constant prompting and notifications that I'd like to get rid of.

Thanks!

Reactions: gdc88
I'm getting this too, though not always and (as above) you have to be quick to respond before the notification fades.
I thought at first maybe bcause of no GPS but I get it when outside in clear view of skies.
Not sure if it means anything but it is annoying!

Last edited:
Is there an option to disable this feature? It keeps asking even if you set it once, as if approximate location is the default all times. So if i don't manage to click it in time to disable it any maps app will not work as expected anymore.

While MIUI 14 lacks a direct option to disable "approximate location" notices, you can minimize them with workarounds:

1- App-specific permissions: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location and grant "Approximate location" permission only to apps that don't require precise location (e.g., weather). Keep "Precise location" for navigation apps.
2- Background location access: In Settings > Apps > Manage Apps, select apps, then disable "Background location" for those that don't need constant location updates.
3- Notification settings: Long-press the "approximate location" notification, then tap "App info" for the requesting app. In its notification settings, choose "Priority" or "Silent" to minimize visual prominence.

These actions should significantly reduce notification occurrences, allowing you to manually grant precise location when needed.