Install xiaomi.eu ROM and root on Mi 11 Pro (China only phone)

invisiblewave

Members
Dec 26, 2018
This was a bit of a journey, and there seems to be some slight differences with the Mi 11 Pro that make it a little more tricky. Much of this has been covered elsewhere, so I'll just do an overview and detail the parts that caused me pain.

There are two ways to do this, with or without TWRP. With TWRP you flash a zip from recovery, without you flash a fastboot image. I've tried both roms, and the fastboot version appears to be missing some of the features, and the initial Google setup was clunky and didn't work well, so my recommendation is to use TWRP to install.

Installing TWRP:
  • Follow the official xiaomi.eu guide posted by @ingbrzy here and on their site, use the following notes in addition to this guide.
  • Set a passcode, without this TWRP will be unable to decrypt the storage and you won't be able to mount internal storage.
  • For the Mi 11 Pro, be careful how you boot to Fastboot. It took me several hours to figure it out, but there are two fastboot modes, one which has a blue FASTBOOT font, and one which has a reddish-brown FASTBOOT font with bigger letters. The one you want is the reddish-brown one, which can only be reached (afaik) by booting using the physical buttons (power and vol-). If you boot using ADB (as I was), it takes you to the blue fastboot screen and TWRP won't flash (you get the boot command failure message).
  • Since this is an A/B device, the high level context is that you first have to boot the phone using the TWRP image on your desktop, as it says in the guide (fastboot boot twrp.img). This is a temporary boot using RAM, if you reboot the phone TWRP will not be present.
  • Once in TWRP, if you want to make it the permanent recovery, click Advanced, then Install Recovery Ramdisk. If you don't do this step, any time you want to use TWRP it will be necessary to boot it temporarily from fastboot again.
Rom installation (TWRP):
  • Enable MTP in TWRP (see previous note about setting a passcode).
  • Copy the rom zip to an internal storage folder.
  • Install as normal in TWRP.
Magisk and root:
  • This is different from anything I've done previously. There are various tutorials about patching the boot image from the rom, and this is fine if you don't want TWRP, but if you patch it and install it, it will erase TWRP and you'll be back with the default Xiaomi recovery.
  • To install Magisk while preserving your ramdisk version of TWRP, use the "Install Magisk" option directly from the TWRP Advanced menu, then select "Use Magisk to patch boot", this step will give you root.
  • After rebooting to System, install the Magisk apk and the Superuser icon at the bottom should be active.

This was a bit of a journey, and there seems to be some slight differences with the Mi 11 Pro that make it a little more tricky. Much of this has been covered elsewhere, so I'll just do an overview and detail the parts that caused me pain.

There are two ways to do this, with or without TWRP. With TWRP you flash a zip from recovery, without you flash a fastboot image. I've tried both roms, and the fastboot version appears to be missing some of the features, and the initial Google setup was clunky and didn't work well, so my recommendation is to use TWRP to install.

Installing TWRP:
  • Follow the official xiaomi.eu guide posted by @ingbrzy here and on their site, use the following notes in addition to this guide.
  • Set a passcode, without this TWRP will be unable to decrypt the storage and you won't be able to mount internal storage.
  • For the Mi 11 Pro, be careful how you boot to Fastboot. It took me several hours to figure it out, but there are two fastboot modes, one which has a blue FASTBOOT font, and one which has a reddish-brown FASTBOOT font with bigger letters. The one you want is the reddish-brown one, which can only be reached (afaik) by booting using the physical buttons (power and vol-). If you boot using ADB (as I was), it takes you to the blue fastboot screen and TWRP won't flash (you get the boot command failure message).
  • Since this is an A/B device, the high level context is that you first have to boot the phone using the TWRP image on your desktop, as it says in the guide (fastboot boot twrp.img). This is a temporary boot using RAM, if you reboot the phone TWRP will not be present.
  • Once in TWRP, if you want to make it the permanent recovery, click Advanced, then Install Recovery Ramdisk. If you don't do this step, any time you want to use TWRP it will be necessary to boot it temporarily from fastboot again.
Rom installation (TWRP):
Magisk and root:
  • This is different from anything I've done previously. There are various tutorials about patching the boot image from the rom, and this is fine if you don't want TWRP, but if you patch it and install it, it will erase TWRP and you'll be back with the default Xiaomi recovery.
  • To install Magisk while preserving your ramdisk version of TWRP, use the "Install Magisk" option directly from the TWRP Advanced menu, then select "Use Magisk to patch boot", this step will give you root.
  • After rebooting to System, install the Magisk apk and the Superuser icon at the bottom should be active.
Hi invisible wave, I'm in a kind of situation as you were in.

Got an mi11 pro chinese, it was with Global rom.

Managed to root and tried to flash miui 14 and bricked the phone in the process.

Them i managed to bring it to life by flashing miui13 china rom (fastboot).
Now i want to go back to global rom (preferably miui14) but am stuck.

I'm not a tech person. I can handle basic rooting, flashing rom etc and know to follow step by step procedures

I faced the issues with twrp missing on reboot, then internal storage ahowing 0mb etc.

So I'm nervous to attempt it again without a proper step by step guide.

Meanwhile, Chinese rom is a real pain to use. I want the device back in global rom.

I'd be grateful if you could write a step by step guide,specifically i didn't understand these :
1. Set a passcode - should i set passcode inside twrp or are you referring to phone lock password?
2. Pls direct me to the guy twrp version or a specific file (in case if it's a modded one)

Thank you many times in advance.
You'll be my savior in this...

Installing TWRP:
Rom installation (TWRP):
Magisk and root:

Managed to root and tried to flash miui 14 and bricked the phone in the process.

I'm not a tech person. I can handle basic rooting, flashing rom etc and know to follow step by step procedures

I faced the issues with twrp missing on reboot, then internal storage ahowing 0mb etc.

Meanwhile, Chinese rom is a real pain to use. I want the device back in global rom.

I'd be grateful if you could write a step by step guide,specifically i didn't understand these :
1. Set a passcode - should i set passcode inside twrp or are you referring to phone lock password?
2. Pls direct me to the guy twrp version or a specific file (in case if it's a modded one)

I'll do what I can, but it's been a while since I did it, so my memory of the procedure is not great. Two things I can tell you, the passcode in TWRP is the same one you set for your screen lock in Settings, and once you have TWRP installed, there's an option to install it permanently, this flashes TWRP to both boot partitions (A/B). If you reboot the phone before doing the permanent step, TWRP will disappear. From where you are now, I'd set a passcode, then flash TWRP, boot into TWRP and unlock with the passcode, use the option to flash TWRP permanently, then flash the MIUI 14 recovery image from TWRP. It's worth the effort, MIUI 14 is much better, several things that have been flakey for years for me (ringtones, bluetooth connections, etc) now work much better, the phone is more responsive, and the battery life is even better than it was before (and this device already had fantastic battery life).