Installing xiaomi.eu ROM on a chinese version Mi8? Problem?

skan

Members
Aug 11, 2014
Hello.

I'm about to buy a Mi8 and I've read people suggests not buying the chinese ROM version because you can brick it when flashing the Global ROM.

What about flashing the Xiaomi.eu ROM instead? Does it have the same problem?
Is it possible to flash it safely on a Mi8 containing the Chinese version?
Or I can brick it too?

Can I bypass the bootloader unlocking?

The problem seems worse with some sellers than sell the phone with a custom bootloader.

Is there any problem apart from needing to unlock the bootlader?
I've read a lot of people complaing about bricking their phones because the ROM was Chinese instead of Global.

* there's no problem about brick it. just don't relock bootloader after flashing it
* cannot pass the lock time.
* chinese --> global : no problems

just unlock bootloader ( AND LET HIM UNLOCKED)
pushup TWRP + wipes
pushup the rom

restart, and that's all.

from this thread : https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/8-7-26.45259/

Installation:

Xiaomi devices:
  • Install TWRP via Fastboot mode, then install our ROM
  • Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot boot twrp.img
  • TWRP Recovery Zip DOWNLOAD or TWRP.ME
  • For ROOT install Magisk 16.4 in TWRP and reboot one more time after install to get rid of system lags
ROMs for devices with locked bootloader:
  • Unlock your first bootloader here http://en.miui.com/unlock/
  • Install TWRP via Fastboot mode, then install our ROM
  • Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot boot twrp.img
  • TWRP Recovery Zip DOWNLOAD or TWRP.ME
  • Wipe /data partition
  • Copy our ROM to the internal storage
  • Install our ROM
  • Reboot
  • done
Installation via TWRP:
- Download zip to internal storage
- Updater - Menu (...) - Reboot to Recovery
- Install - Select zip
- Reboot
- Done

Reactions: skan
Then when buying a Mi8 I just need to but the cheapest one, that's the Chinese version?
I will just come with the wrong adapter for the charger?
The only problem happens if I try to flash the Global ROM instead?

Should I lock the bootloader after flashing?

Will I be able to use any application, rooted, unrooted, Goole Pay...

mi8 will be release the August 8th...in France . so i think th'at the same all over Europe.

so you can wait a little, then buy a global version.

th'at what i will do if i didn't get it from china...

mi8 will be release the August 8th...in France . so i think th'at the same all over Europe.

so you can wait a little, then buy a global version.

th'at what i will do if i didn't get it from china...

In Europe it's much more expensive.
I wouldn't mind to buy it from China (or Chinese sites selling through European stores) if there is no problem when flashing.

Hey skan,
It seems that you are not very familiar with flashing customs roms - therefore I would suggest, that you buy a phone, which has the global rom already installed.
Try it from tradingshenzhen.com, it costs about 387€ and has the global rom already installed.
If you buy the chinese version on dubios sites for some bucks cheaper and then brick the phone, because you don't know how to flash - the money is also lost.

Gesendet von meinem MI 6 mit Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with Xiaomi but I have flashed firmwares on almost all devices I have (older phones, drones, computers...). It's not a problem, I like to learn and I just need to acquire all the information to do it well.
The reason to get the Chines version is because it can be much cheaper, now the Mi8 can be found with coupons for just 317€, much less than the Global one. Anyway I'll flash the Xiaomi.eu version.

I'm not familiar with Xiaomi but I have flashed firmwares on almost all devices I have (older phones, drones, computers...). It's not a problem, I like to learn and I just need to acquire all the information to do it well.
The reason to get the Chines version is because it can be much cheaper, now the Mi8 can be found with coupons for just 317€, much less than the Global one. Anyway I'll flash the Xiaomi.eu version.
You know how to unlock the bootloader?
The first time you request the unlock you have to wait 360 hours. Afterwards you can unlock one bootloader per month.
After you have unlocked the bootloader, you can install twrp. Do "format data" in twrp before flashing another rom, otherwise you can face a bootloop.
After "format data" copy the rom (.zip file - recovery rom) to your phone and install it in twrp. Finished ;)

You know how to unlock the bootloader?
The first time you request the unlock you have to wait 360 hours. Afterwards you can unlock one bootloader per month.
After you have unlocked the bootloader, you can install twrp. Do "format data" in twrp before flashing another rom, otherwise you can face a bootloop.
After "format data" copy the rom (.zip file - recovery rom) to your phone and install it in twrp. Finished ;)

Until now I have always had mobiles with SD cards, and I used to copy the zip firmware to it before flashing.
How do you do it with this mobile without SD card? Is it recognized from the computer after formatting it?

Another question:
If I unlock the bootloader (waiting the 360 hours) and install xiaomi.eu will I get automatically a rooted system? Or do I need to additionally root it?

Until now I have always had mobiles with SD cards, and I used to copy the zip firmware to it before flashing.
How do you do it with this mobile without SD card? Is it recognized from the computer after formatting it?

Another question:
If I unlock the bootloader (waiting the 360 hours) and install xiaomi.eu will I get automatically a rooted system? Or do I need to additionally root it?
After format data you can copy the rom normally with a file explorer to the smartphone. Or you can use the "adb push ...." Syntax (please google for usage)
Just coyp it to the root directory.

No - it will not be rooted automatically. You would have to also install magisk for root.

After format data you can copy the rom normally with a file explorer to the smartphone. Or you can use the "adb push ...." Syntax (please google for usage)
Just coyp it to the root directory.

Do you mean while on the TWRP screen? Because I wouldn't have any ROM installed yet and I won't be able to boot to any Android yet.

Do you mean while on the TWRP screen? Because I wouldn't have any ROM installed yet and I won't be able to boot to any Android yet.
It should be possible to move the .zip file to your phone using a file explorer while you are in twrp.
Otherwise you can also start the adb mode and move the files using "adb push" - this works for sure, I did it this way.
You don't necessarily need a working android system to have access to the phone data.