Instruction, How To Fix Google Market Error 963 Part 2

Papka__

Members
Mar 21, 2016
I recommend to use tool from this thread to fix such market problems: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/universal-tool-for-managing-mipad-2.36891/

This is another option how to fix 963 error if you already have unlocked, installed TWRP and so on and still nothing working.
If you are going to do something like that, that means that you are familiar with driver installations and command line.

1. Download this archive: https://pucina.dedyn.io:8181/data/public/74a019
2. Extract archive downloaded above to somewhere (let's say c:\adb, let's call it N1)
3. Download this image: https://pucina.dedyn.io:8181/data/public/4bd3d9
4. Put downloaded image to N1 folder
5. Connect pad to PC
6. In Windows explorer, when adb (N1) folder opened press Shift and right mouse button and select "Open command window here".
6. Boot into fastboot with buttons combination or write in black window "adb reboot bootloader"
And now you can try 2 ways:
7.1 When you tab in fastboot mode write in black window "fastboot format data"
or
7.2 When you tab in fastboot mode write in black window "fastboot flash data userdata.img"

Reboot your tab. Note, all your user data will be lost and you will need to setup your tab once again.
Then flash ROM version you would like to stay with for now.
When you are on ROM version you would like to stay, I suggest to do Factory reset and re-setup.

FLASH WIPING DALVIK, CACHE and DATA. DO NOT TOUCH SYSTEM NEITHER BEFORE NOR AFTER FLASH!!!!!

If you will stay with latest version from xiaomi.eu, you need to install GAPPS separately. Use installer from OpenGapps for x86_64 system.

Link to original post: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=713227&view=findpost&p=49824875

P.S. Small explanation about source of error 963. During unlocking your PAD, system informing that you will loose your data, but system not wiping data, but killing data partition. So if after unlock, you will flash TWRP and will go there inside and will check partition information, you will see partition type of data="auto". If you will leave as is and will continue to boot into system, data partition will be marked (IMHO android system not really formatting it during boot) as ext3, but this is not enough for Gapps. And you getting error 963. So if you will change format from "auto" to ext4 from TWRP or by flashing userdata.img or by using "fastboot format data" you will never get error 963. From my perspective "fastboot format data" command should be added to unlock script. Also ROM makers (probably) can add check of data partition format and re-format if needed.

Last edited:
So, I suppose, by this reply we can confirm, that method 2 working.

Yes for sure,
I flashed 6.3.31 and set it all up,
Then flashed the userdata.img and booted it up again.
As you said all my data was gone but when i set up everything again it works like a charm.

I just re-bricked my tablet ... so actually I've restarted every thing from fastboot rom
I just done initial config (wifi + login to mi account)
Then I installed en/cn dev rom.
Then I've rooted MiPad2 and flashed twrp.
Re-done initial config (wifi + login to mi account)

At this point, must I reboot to TWRP to flash xiaomi.eu rom and THEN flash userdata.img ? Or viceversa?

Just for curiosity: from where does it came this userdata.img file? What does it contains? Why this image can fix error 963?

Please, explain to us some tech details, .. please

UPDATE: I tried to flassh xiaomi.eu, then
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash data userdata.img
mipad 2 stucked at mi logo (with 3 dots
Yes for sure,
I flashed 6.3.31 and set it all up,
Then flashed the userdata.img and booted it up again.
As you said all my data was gone but when i set up everything again it works like a charm.

So are these steps right? Please tell me exactly the stesp, because I finished that google installer 2 cannot complete setup.
  • fastboot rom
  • from updater app, install dev rom
  • enable dev option then enable oem unlock
  • adb reboot fastboot
  • fastboot oem unlock
  • fastboot reboot
  • root
  • reboot into fastboot
  • flash twrp
  • flash userdata.img
  • Install gapps using google play installer 2 as linked in first post
  • install xiaomi.eu 6.5.26

Last edited:
The root its not important to install the EU Rom. Also its not nesessary that you will have this error. After fast boot Rom if you dont Lock the bootloader you Won't have the 963 error. My opinion fastboot, dev, twrp, EU 6.4.7 its has gapps built in and less bugs than the new ones.

Last edited:
After fast boot Rom if you dont Lock the bootloader you Won't have the 963 error

Flashing fastboot, the pad ask me to set bootloader to verified.

Must I reply No?

I mean that if you lock the bootloader using the command fastboot oem lock you will have the error.
If you press yes you shouldn’t have the error 963. But if finally flash the EU rom and have the issue you can very easily fix it with flash userdata.img.

Sorry, but first you said
"if you dont Lock the bootloader you Won't have the 963 error"

then you said
"If you press yes you shouldn’t have the error 963."

But If I press yes, the bootloader is set at verified .... please, tell me which version is the good one

Im assuming that "Locking = Bootloader in verified state" and "Unlocking = Booloader NOT in verified state". Is it right? Probably I miss to understand something basilar

I'm restarting from scratch.

Step 1: Using Intel Phone Flash tool, I flash FASTBOOT rom using only the 'update' method.
I noticed only now that it says "Unlock device" when executing "fastboot.exe" "-s" "A3P449980EC6" "oem" "verified"` command

I pressed YES

Step 2: after initial config, copy dev ROM into pad and update using Updater App

Step 3: Enabled USB debug

Step 4: Copied xiaomi.eu ROM into tablet
Nothing else done now; not unzipped, obiously.

Step 5: Flash TWRP
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fast oem reboot recovery

I've now a BOOTLOADER ERROR CODE 2
I can press Volume Up for FASTBOOT or Volume Down for Power OFF

And now?

Step 1: Using Intel Phone Flash tool, I flash FASTBOOT rom using only the 'update' method.
It says "Unlock device" when executing "fastboot.exe" "-s" "A3P449980EC6" "oem" "verified"` command; press YES

Step 2: Move to dev rom

After initial config, copy dev ROM into pad
Apply this update using Updater App

Step 3: Unlock

Enable USB DEBUG and OEM UNLOCK
adb reboot booloader
fastboot oem unlock -> yes [this delete all user data]
fastboot reboot
At ERROR CODE is 03, press Volume UP to boot to system

Step 4: Flash TWRP
Do initial config
Enable USB debug
copy xiaomi.eu rom into tablet
adb reboot bootloader
fast oem reboot recovery
At ERROR CODE is 03, press Volume UP I could boot in twrp.

Step 5: Flash Xiaomi.eu ROM
Keeped system readonly
Install xiaomi.eu ROM
Wipe cache/dalvik
Press Back some times, then from Advanced, do wipe of data
Reboot into system

About the question "Keep system read only ?" What is the best answer ?

Last edited:
You all ready have unlocked bootloader when you see the error 03.
You make things so complicated! You are doing unnecessary things. You could follow the steps from my previous post 15 and complete the installation in 5 munities.

Kostas83, no. really I can't !

Watch my answer #16: i did what you said to me, but executed manually the commands found in your install_TRWP.bat

fast oem reboot recovery

The problem is that at this point I've now a BOOTLOADER ERROR CODE 2

This is NOT an ERROR 3 (that allows to boot normally with volume up and to fastboot with volume down).

This is an ERROR 2: pressing volume UP you go into fastboot, and with volume DOWN you power OFF the tablet.

Anyway, Now I've the xiaomi.eu rom installed, but Google Installer v.2 fails to install play services.
Must I root it now? If yes, how?

Redoing ALL again from start.

Reflash FASTBOOT ROM, answering YES when asked if I want to set bootloader as verified. AFAIK, this unlock the bootloader.

After initial config, copied DEV rom and flashed using updater app.

Enabled USB Debug, copied xiaomi.eu ROM into tablet, rebooted into fastboot and executed YOUR script for installing TWRP. Again, I've an error code 02, si can only choose to boot into fast boot OR to power off.

I powered off, and then powered on. No bootloader error. I used updater app to reboot into recovery. MiPad presented me the STOCK recovery.

So something is wrong in your guide. And is this the reason because I redo oem unlock.

Step 1: Return to fastboot rom
Using Intel Phone Flash tool, flash FASTBOOT rom using only the 'update' method.
It says "Unlock device" when executing "fastboot.exe" "-s" "A3P449980EC6" "oem" "verified"` command; press YES

Step 2: Move to dev rom

After initial config, copy dev ROM into pad
Apply this update using Updater App

Step 3: Unlock

Enable USB DEBUG and OEM UNLOCK
adb reboot booloader
fastboot oem unlock -> yes [this delete all user data]
fastboot reboot
At ERROR CODE is 03, press Volume UP to boot to system

Step 4: Flash TWRP
Do again initial config of Wi-Fi and Mi Account
Renable USB debug
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem reboot recovery
At ERROR CODE is 03, press Volume UP I could boot in twrp.

Step 5: Flash Xiaomi.eu ROM
Allow system modifications
copy xiaomi.eu rom and Google Installer 2 into tablet
Install xiaomi.eu ROM
Wipe cache/dalvik
Reboot into system

Step 6: Root
Instal SuperSu from TWRP, do a wipe cache/dalvik only then reoobt

Step 7: Install Google Apps
Execute Google Installer 2 to install Google Apps.
Installer fails, again.

Now I'll try to uninstall everything using Titanium backup and the I'll reinstall every single app manually, grabbing grom apkmirror... But I cannot understand WHAT am I doing wrong.

Last edited:
Papka_ , thanks for your reply. I ask ou to be patient with me. Actually you replied to me withy a question, but I still not found how to interpret your instruction in this and in the firs post.

Please tell me if I understand right: I must flash userdata.img when I've
  • flashed china dev rom installed
  • AND already unlocked bootloader
  • AND installed TWRP
  • BUT before move to xiaomi.eu.
  • AND BEFORE to try to install google apps
If you confirm, please, this evening, I'll retry from scratch again.

If this is not right again, please, help me to understand the correct sequence of operation. Probably my bad english is not helping me, or probably I'm a little 'retarted'.