Instruction, How To Fix Google Market Error 963 Part 2

Is the same if instead of flash this userdata.img we simply wipe data from recovery?

Inviato dal mio MI 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Simple wiping from recovery will not help. You can do this from recovery, but for the first you should set data partition type as ext4 and then format. If you already tried to install GAPPS and got error, then from recovery you will see, that data partition already ext4, but this is not correct and you should force recovery to change it and completely re-format. To do this, you should change ext4 to ext3, then format, then change back ext3 to ext4 and format again. I would never tried to add this to instruction. :)
Format from fastboot is much easier for "not so skilled user" IMHO.

Reactions: realtebo
And now you can try 2 ways:
7.1 When you tab in fastboot mode write in black window "fastboot format data"
or
7.2 When you tab in fastboot mode write in black window "fastboot flash data userdata.img"

It seems to me, that hint 7.1 does not work in all cases.
I formatted the Data partition from fastboot. Rebooting into TWRP I still found Data to have the "auto" format information. I was expecting this to be ext4. Reformatting to ext4 from TWRP finally fixed the FS format of Data for me.

In such cases flashing "userdata.img" from fastboot is the safe way. Yet I didn't check this image. I just assume it is the image file of an otherwise empty ext4 formatted partition.

Best regards
Stefan

It seems to me, that hint 7.1 does not work in all cases.
I formatted the Data partition from fastboot. Rebooting into TWRP I still found Data to have the "auto" format information. I was expecting this to be ext4. Reformatting to ext4 from TWRP finally fixed the FS format of Data for me.

In such cases flashing "userdata.img" from fastboot is the safe way. Yet I didn't check this image. I just assume it is the image file of an otherwise empty ext4 formatted partition.

Best regards
Stefan

Thank you for information. Question - you did format exactly after unlock or you tried to boot and setup system and then tried to install GAPPS? What you used to install GAPPS in that case? Would be nice to get more information, because this will help to adjust instruction.
Also, are you sure, that you didn't got something like "erasing 'data'... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))" after "fastboot format data"?

After I had problems getting MIUI.eu to run, I flashed my Pad back to the original Chinese ROM and flashed GApps (nano/x86_64) from OpenGapps.org before I booted the system. As Gapps still didn't work I rebooted into the bootloader and performed a "fastboot format data" - seemed to be successful. The command completed without any error message.
Then I rebooted into TWRP to check the FS status of data and found it to still be "auto". Here I then fixed it to finally be "ext4", flashed MIUI.eu V8 and got my Pad up and running as expected.

Hope this helps
Stefan

Thank you. Now situation is more clear. I can try this way by myself. Usually I'm formatting data directly after unlock as I wrote in instruction. Probably flashing GAPPS from TWRP with non-formated data partition changing something that preventing fastboot to do it job correctly...
Just to be sure I understood you correctly:
1. Flashed original MIUI ROM
2. Booted into, made initial setup, set OEM unlock in dev options.
3. Unlocked bootloader.
4. Flashed TWRP.
5. Booted into TWRP and flashed GAPPS.
6. Booted into system and got 963 error.
7. Format data from fastboot without errors.
8. Booted into system and got 963 error anyway.
9. Booted into TWRP and set partition type explicitly to ext4 and formated.
10. GAPPS working after reflash.

Last edited:
If error 963 means "unfortunately Google Play Services has stopped" when trying to set up the Google account, then yes, that's it.

If error 963 means "unfortunately Google Play Services has stopped" when trying to set up the Google account, then yes, that's it.
No. This error usually due to old/outdated webview. And I heard that such problem was with opengapps some times ago. I'm using other way to install GAPPS.

Twrp format partition data in ext4 worked for me!

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

If I format in twrp to ext 4 I get an error:
swap + ext partition is to big for sd card

swap size 32
ext size 512

Can I lower this?

Hallo.
I formatted the data partition in ext3 and then etx4. This it deleted everything including the Room who had installed in mipad 2. The tablet comes on but I can not get past the language selection page (crash).
Can you tell me a fastbbot ROM and a guide to the installation?

Is this right? http://en.miui.com/thread-358607-1-1.html

Last edited:
adb push {my cool zip file name}.zip \sdcard\Download\
run this from command line. zip file should be inside the folder youy running command line from.

Reactions: ondaflex
Thanks Papka

Even when flashing with the latest MULTI 6.12.8 ROM which was reported as gaps working, it was not. Your fix did the trick and now I can install play apps etc. I will post to the weekly ROM release thread. This was on my Mi Pad 2

Last edited:
Thanks Papka

Even when flashing with the latest MULTI 6.12.8 ROM which was reported as gaps working, it was not. Your fix did the trick and now I can install play apps etc. I will post to the weekly ROM release thread. This was on my Mi Pad 2

This problem is not connected to the ROM. It's connected to the way, how device bootloader locking/unlocking.