Is memory extension actually bad?

Here is an odd situation where ram+ actually improves performance and turning it off reduce it

Poco M5 MIUI 14
128GB 6GB

Attachments

• 5GB.jpg
    5GB.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 602
  • Without extension 0 GB.jpg
    Without extension 0 GB.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 606
Here is an odd situation where ram+ actually improves performance and turning it off reduce it

Poco M5 MIUI 14
128GB 6GB
Something else was running in the background during your disabled test because it makes zero sense that using a feature that creates more reads and writes to the nand flash would actually increase a nand flash read and write benchmark performance. Logic dictates that your test is a fluke/invalid.

Something else was running in the background during your disabled test because it makes zero sense that using a feature that creates more reads and writes to the nand flash would actually increase a nand flash read and write benchmark performance. Logic dictates that your test is a fluke/invalid.
I did restart the phone and repeated the test 3 times for each. every time the 5GB has better read/write speed!

Any suggestions to make it more accurate?

Phone: Xiaomi 13 Global
Rom: MIUI 14 Global, debloated

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_183241.jpg
    IMG_20230724_183241.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 513
  • Screenshot_2023-07-24-18-30-56-646_com.Saplin.CPDT.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-24-18-30-56-646_com.Saplin.CPDT.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 509
Reactions: notsosus
Phone: Xiaomi 13 Global
Rom: MIUI 14 Global, debloated
Looking at the results it's kinda clear that the performance is the same in both on and off benchmarks. I guess benchmark apps are not really a good tool to check if it's bad or good as the memory extension gets used after a certain part of RAM has been used.

From my personal experience my device the Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G feels more responsive while it is turned off.

Reactions: mik101
THE CPDT BENCHMARK ONLY TESTS 1GB SO IT WONT WORK!!

and remember, Android uses swap file like windows, disk info app says I have 4GB Swap file - so it is already using storage as ram for low priority data.

However, as an example my POCO F3 has UFS 3.1 Flash Storage and LPDDR5 Ram

max theoretical speeds:

LPDDR5 = 6400 Mbps
UFS 3.1 = 2900 Mbps

also:
LPDDR5X=8500Mbps
UFS 4.0 = 5800 Mbps

So, they are all very fast, but the latency will be better with your DDR ram
i think it would be an excellent feature for users with 4GB ram or less

on the funny side, yes you can "download" more ram :)

Last edited: