Latest swype for evo

solotmo138

Members
Mar 13, 2011
I love swype but I am unable to install all or most sprint apps.

Can anyone guide me in a better direction to be able to install ANY apk

I've had problems with swype too. I've taken backups and tried installing them but the swype backups always fc. I've heard that if you take swype from OTA that it will work. I'm just lazy and never have messed with it. Honestly, I've been hoping someone would post a download link (hint hint). :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Yes, taking Swype from the OTA will work. I'm not going to post an illegal apk, though, so you're going to have to get a Sense ROM and take it from there, sorry.

Plus, just the apk won't help you. All you'll get are force closes, like you have gotten. When you take the apk from /system/app, you have to also get libSwypeCore.so from /system/lib/.

Then, in MIUI, you put both files back in their respective places (ie., Swype.apk goes in /system/app, and libSwypeCore.so goes in /system/lib). Then, Swype should work just fine.

And if anyone does post a download link for Swype, it will probably be removed soon after.

Yes, taking Swype from the OTA will work. I'm not going to post an illegal apk, though, so you're going to have to get a Sense ROM and take it from there, sorry.

Plus, just the apk won't help you. All you'll get are force closes, like you have gotten. When you take the apk from /system/app, you have to also get libSwypeCore.so from /system/lib/.

Then, in MIUI, you put both files back in their respective places (ie., Swype.apk goes in /system/app, and libSwypeCore.so goes in /system/lib). Then, Swype should work just fine.

And if anyone does post a download link for Swype, it will probably be removed soon after.
Thanks for the direction...any way to adb push directly from the phone? I'm away from my PC, and I have the needed files on my phones sdcard. I remember seeing a terminal emulator once but now I can't find it. Would something like that work?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ok...so I pushed libswypecore.so to /system/lib but I'm still getting FC's. This is frustrating. I'm on my mac and just figured out how to ADB from it. pretty cool....but I need my SWYPE to work. suggestions??

Ok...so I pushed libswypecore.so to /system/lib but I'm still getting FC's. This is frustrating. I'm on my mac and just figured out how to ADB from it. pretty cool....but I need my SWYPE to work. suggestions??

You may not have the right permissions set for libSwypeCore.so. I'm honestly not sure what the correct permissions are. I've always used Root Explorer and never set any permissions, and Swype never gave me problems.

It's weird I am pushing the files while in recovery but they aren't there when I reboot. Hmm....Bed will help me figure it out.

I've never had the phone in recovery. Here's what I do:

I copy the Swype files to C:\android\tools
Connect the phone to the computer via usb. (Charge Only)
Open a C: command window
Change directory to wherever adb is located (in my case, c:\android\tools)
Then just type the following:

Adb push Swype.apk /system/app
Adb push libSwypeCore.lib /system/lib
Adb reboot

Done.

Sent from my PC36100 using the miui-dev.com Forums App

I get: failed to copy 'libswypecore.so' to '/system/lib/libswypecore.so': Read-only file system
and i get the same when I try to push swype.apk

When I do it in recovery, eveything appears to have worked, but when I reboot, NADA.

Actually, the first command you need is

adb remount

That will mount your phone as read/write, and you won't get that error.

Ok...adb remount. push the files...adb reboot....upon startup Swype FC. Suggestions? Anyone else have this many problems pushing swype?

OK...so here's my challenge. Replicate what I've done using the files I supply and make it work. Obviously, I've got some poor adb skills....but here's what I've done.

1. Downloaded the newest rooted OTA (Supersonic_3.70.651.1-Deodexed_signed_teshxx)
2. I extracted the OTA
3. I Copied swype.apk and libswypecore.so from the extracted OTA
4. ADB remount
5. ADB push swype.apk /system/app
6. Adb push libswype.so /system/lib
adb reboot

When the Evo restarts, and I choose the input method of Swype...I'm greeted with FC's.

Feel free to critique everything I've typed. I'm freaking out!!! :)

I admit to being stumped. I hope Endless Dissent can help.

I'm also assuming step 6 just contained a simple typo (libSwypeCore.so, not libswype.so).

Sent from my PC36100 using the miui-dev.com Forums App

OK...so here's my challenge. Replicate what I've done using the files I supply and make it work. Obviously, I've got some poor adb skills....but here's what I've done.

1. Downloaded the newest rooted OTA (Supersonic_3.70.651.1-Deodexed_signed_teshxx)
2. I extracted the OTA
3. I Copied swype.apk and libswypecore.so from the extracted OTA
4. ADB remount
5. ADB push swype.apk /system/app
6. Adb push libswype.so /system/lib
adb reboot

When the Evo restarts, and I choose the input method of Swype...I'm greeted with FC's.

Feel free to critique everything I've typed. I'm freaking out!!! :)

Everything looks right to me, but just to be sure, the commands are case sensitive, so it should be exactly

adb push libSwypeCore.so /system/lib

and exactly

adb push Swype.apk /system/app

I'm assuming, though, that the any error in the post is just from rushing to post, and if the commands were wrong, it should give an error message.

I'm also stumped. The only suggestion I have is to join the beta at beta.swype.com. It's still open and guaranteed to install (I install it for every build). Plus, you'll get a newer version than you get from the OTA, sometimes with bugs, but the current version works fine for me, so ymmv.

For what its worth, I installed the beta. But, I really wish I knew why the original wouldn't install....maybe its the permissions. How would I change them? Chmod? Is that command available on windows? Let me also say thanks to all those that have helped out through this thread. I realize that I hijacked a little. Hopefully the original poster solved his problem. :)
Swyped from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

For what its worth, I installed the beta. But, I really wish I knew why the original wouldn't install....maybe its the permissions. How would I change them? Chmod? Is that command available on windows? Let me also say thanks to all those that have helped out through this thread. I realize that I hijacked a little. Hopefully the original poster solved his problem. :)
Swyped from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Yes, chmod is the correct command, but you enter it by doing

adb shell

which opens up a Linux prompt inside the cmd window, at which point, you enter

cd /system/app

chmod 644 /system/app/*.apk

cd /system/lib

chmod <I don't know, sorry> /system/lib/*.so

I wish I could tell you the correct permissions for the libs, but I can't, sorry.

Thanks for the tip...I will definitely give this a shot on the next update. I've got everything running well right now. I don't want to screw anything up.