MI-2S Very Fast Battery Drain Problem

ShuffleInc

Members
Mar 4, 2014
Hi,

I have a problem with my MI-2S. System is always in power saving mode, bluetooth, gps, location services are off, network type is set to 2G, the only thing that is turned on is WiFi. With this kind of use the battery lasts about 12hours, and never more than that.
I tried at least 10 different versions of MIUI developers rom (some of them with data reset and wipe), and latest stable rom, and battery life doesn't change.
I even tried taking SIM card out and putting the phone in airplane mode over night, and in the morning (that was about 8 hours of battery life) the battery was down do 56% from fully charged 100%.

In the attachment is is one example of the typical use of this phone. I can post other shots once I get home...
I tried app that if integrated into MIUI, Betterbatterystats, CPU Usage & Process List Viewer and Snapdragon BatteryGuru apps to try to find out what drains the battery, but there is no clear sign to what drains the battery, it seems it is not a process.
Also lower half of the phone (I guess this is where chipset is located) i most of the time warm to the touch, even when the phone is not used and is in my pocket.

Also, the retailer that sold me the phone, sent me another original battery, and with that one also the battery life doesn't change.

I also need to mention that about first month-month and a half the battery life is great, and battery lasted about 3 - 3,5 days with a single charge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-02-17-39-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-02-17-39-11.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 333
I tried at least 10 different versions of MIUI developers rom (some of them with data reset and wipe), and latest stable rom, and battery life doesn't change.
Wow, really weird. what do you mean by 10 different version of MIUI dev ROM? have you tried other custom ROM?

I meant that i installed weekly roms for mi-2s almost every week, but battery life is always the same. I have never tried rom other than MIUI.
I will post wakelock screen in a few hours.

I meant that i installed weekly roms for mi-2s almost every week, but battery life is always the same. I have never tried rom other than MIUI.
I will post wakelock screen in a few hours.
yeah, even for me it is weird. i had MIUI ROM not long ago, and it can survive around 20 Hrs with 2-3 hrs screen on time.
recently i change to WIUI (to preserve the taste of MIUI) and it gives me slightly better battery and performance.
anyway, wakelock will help others to diagnose your problem.

So try to turn off Wi-Fi once for couple hours and check the consumption.
Also you can repeat to find the cause via BetterBatteryStats:
Fully charge the battery and monitor the Deep Sleep time of the device (see first screenshot).
If you see that phone is not going to Deep Sleep, you must find the guilty process (second screenshot).
I had a similar problem with other model smartphone and finally i got new one from the repair center.
Good luck!
2014-03-26 14.45.09.png 2014-03-26 14.45.39.png

Install an app like System Panel (lite or full), then in settings enable the showing of any process.
Now simply watch which processes are using your cpu and draining your battery ;)
As of my experience, give a look at android.process.media process cpu usage.

Try to change how the phone sees the battery charge(some call it re-calibrating the battery).Use your phone and let it drain to 10-15%,turn it off and plug it in to a USB on your pc and leave it until it's 100% charged up.I do this with just the normal charger and i leave my phone over night and turned on,and do see a 5-10% difference.I have also used this trick on my previous htc one x that i bought second hand and saw a massive improvement(50 min of on screen time).Some times proper charging can fix issues involving battery life.

I searched for screenshots from my last check with BetterBatteryStats but i couldn't find any, so i will try to install System Panel & BetterBatteryStats, and will report back. I guess this will be soon because my battery drains pretty fast. I will also try the re-callibrating advice.
I also need to mention that I eliminated reporting error (incorrect showing of battery stats) because if battery level drops below 1%, the phone shuts off and needs few minutes (or tens of minutes) to power it back on.
Thank you for your help so far!

Install an app like System Panel (lite or full), then in settings enable the showing of any process.
Now simply watch which processes are using your cpu and draining your battery ;)
As of my experience, give a look at android.process.media process cpu usage.
i'm curious... what exactly is android.process.media? I installed system panel lite about 45 mins ago and android.process.media has 35 minutes of CPU time!

i'm curious... what exactly is android.process.media? I installed system panel lite about 45 mins ago and android.process.media has 35 minutes of CPU time!
It should scan for new media files and add them to media database (eg. the one used when seeking files from USB/MTP connection). But it has issue in its implementation, the issue start from android 4.1 and is not yet corrected by Google in 4.4: if you have, for any unexpected reason, at least one little file corrupted or inaccessible by this process, it hangs and keeps scanning with never ending with 100% cpu usage.
This system process is your problem for battery drain.
You can kill this process (but it can be restarted by the OS), or you can prevent it from starting at boot (with apps like Startup Manager). But to solve the issue with battery drain, you have to find that/those corrupted file/s, and since they can be wherever in user partition, a possible extreme solution can be deleting all the contents of your (virtual) sdcard partition.

I think you can try greenify, donation version is better, I can make some system application sleep, like backup and Kuaichuan, maybe you turned on some sync switch.

i guess you can consider advice from guari above, i also pretty sure that the media scanner detect some broken files. that's why it eats more cycle to process the file.

i see that one core is always used about 5-15% not sure if this is normal or what normal percentage should be. on the screenshots is also seen very big battery % drop when i turned my screen on. on the first few images battery is 49%, then after few secs it drops to 41%

i see that one core is always used about 5-15% not sure if this is normal or what normal percentage should be. on the screenshots is also seen very big battery % drop when i turned my screen on. on the first few images battery is 49%, then after few secs it drops to 41%

Your CPU usage and all other things in the screenshots seem normal for me. I can't see the high CPU usage you described before for Media process.
The battery drop when you switch on the screen is nothing more than a calibration issue, android refines the percentage when it wakes up from idle state, it's not that it really consumes about 10% battery in few seconds (this has always happened also to me with different phones), the battery has already been discharged for some reasons before you switch on the screen.

I'm aware of that. I suspect it's a hardware problem. Looks like i'll have to RMA the phone.
I looked at the percentage of consumption of every process and none of them show above 2% of consumption, yet the battery just drains.

Hi,

I have a problem with my MI-2S. System is always in power saving mode, bluetooth, gps, location services are off, network type with a single charge.

Hallo "ShuffleInc"!

I have the same problem - my battery last not longer as 10 hours, even which rom i use. i didn't found any significant wakelock or anything else that kill's my battery.
It occur since two month, i didn't know why. the only reason i guess is: i overheated my phone with a defect usb cable at charging (i'm not sure about this explanation, but the phone becomes very hot and didn't charge correct. it occur one time for 2/3 month...).

i have no guarantee, so i must life with it.
When you get back your Phone from RMA, please let me no which reason cause this problem

Thx

Hallo "ShuffleInc"!

I have the same problem - my battery last not longer as 10 hours, even which rom i use. i didn't found any significant wakelock or anything else that kill's my battery.
It occur since two month, i didn't know why. the only reason i guess is: i overheated my phone with a defect usb cable at charging (i'm not sure about this explanation, but the phone becomes very hot and didn't charge correct. it occur one time for 2/3 month...).

i have no guarantee, so i must life with it.
When you get back your Phone from RMA, please let me no which reason cause this problem

Thx

I also had problem charging with original Xiaomi cable. When I charged with that cable, touch sensitivity goes crazy. I also once tried charging my last phone, HTC Evo3D and some message about deffective cable poped up.

I'm also interested, if any of you guys are from Europe, how do you charge your phone? Are you using chinese to euro power plug converter so you can use original power charger, or are you using some other chrger with european plug?

Get iPad charger, charges faster than original one, also adapter supplied by xiaomi feels not so safe, especially with deeper sockets.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk