Mi 8 Safetynet + Android Pay and related issues

EugeneZ

Members
Sep 1, 2016
Hello,
I have a Mi 8 purchased in China, and I installed the Mi 8 Global Stable rom which was recently released. My goal was to be able to re-lock the bootloader after installing it so that I could get Android Pay + Safetynet + Play Store Certified are working. Unfortunately, I realized after locking the bootloader that I the phone would go into a boot loop into recovery with the dreaded message "This Miui version can't be installed on this device." Note of caution for all folks who are trying this.

I promptly held my breath and used the MiUnlock tool to successfully unlock the bootloader again. Now, the phone boots into Global Stable ROM, but the bootloader is UNLOCKED, so Android Pay, Safetynet, Etc. are not working.

I have been reading the the xiaomi.eu rom would allow the phone to pass SafetyNet and have android pay working. Does Play Store also show certified?

Also, how is the Xiaomi.eu rom able to do this? Is it a kernel modification? For other custom ROM's, I believe Magisk is needed to enable these capabilities.

Thanks!

Reactions: Machpoint89
Hi,

yes i had the same issue as you, tried to get google pay to work but its not working with global stable.
Xiaomi.eu rom does really work well with Google Pay.

Yesterday i tested it on our Gas Station and Super Marked in Germany, works very well.

Can recommend xiaomi .eu rom !

Hi,

yes i had the same issue as you, tried to get google pay to work but its not working with global stable.
Xiaomi.eu rom does really work well with Google Pay.

Yesterday i tested it on our Gas Station and Super Marked in Germany, works very well.

Can recommend xiaomi .eu rom !
Which particular version are you on at the moment and do you have any GPS issues?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

I'm on the newest Xiaomi EU Rom 8.7.26.
Sometimes i have some GPS issues with apps which are using GPS, after a reboot issues are gone.
Same with bluetooth, after deactivating flight mode, sometimes bluetooth can not be activated, after a reboot everything is fine.

When GPS is activated and running i can get a really good signal until less 1meter accuracy.

By the way: these issues are not related to xiaomi.eu rom, its more a xiaomi chinese beta rom issue.

But... i can live with.

Reactions: Patit
I find I can sometimes turn off and on the dual GPS quick setting in the notification to bring GPS back.

Reactions: exxxtasy
Sometimes i have some GPS issues with apps which are using GPS, after a reboot issues are gone.
Same with bluetooth, after deactivating flight mode, sometimes bluetooth can not be activated, after a reboot everything is fine.

When GPS is activated and running i can get a really good signal until less 1meter accuracy.

By the way: these issues are not related to xiaomi.eu rom, its more a xiaomi chinese beta rom issue.

But... i can live with.
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful

But... i can live with.
I can confirm the same issues

Just like the rest I have issues with GPay on my Mi8, however I have never gone through the procedure of unlocking my phone or flashing rom. I keep reading of people referring to this procedure but with no clear single instruction on how to do it.

Can someone (who has done it with Mi8) please write clear instructions on how to get GPay wotking step by step with links to download what and where (if possible).

I would be extremely grateful, as I am sure others like me will be as well.

Just like the rest I have issues with GPay on my Mi8, however I have never gone through the procedure of unlocking my phone or flashing rom. I keep reading of people referring to this procedure but with no clear single instruction on how to do it.

Can someone (who has done it with Mi8) please write clear instructions on how to get GPay wotking step by step with links to download what and where (if possible).

I would be extremely grateful, as I am sure others like me will be as well.

Okay, some additonal facts, Google Pay isnt supported by Xiaomi's Roms, (whatever you use, china beta/stable or global beta stable)
In Fact you need the Xiaomi.eu Rom, this Rom supports Google Pay as you can read in the insturctions to the rom or supported features.

1. You have to unlock your Bootloader to flash Xiaomi.eu Rom

• at first unlock developer options in miui (my device-> all specifications-> tab 8 or 9 times on miui-version
  • go to developer options in additional settings menu and enable OEM-Unlock
  • load unlock tool here: http://en.miui.com/unlock/
  • when download is complete unpack the archive and start miflash_unlock.exe
  • sign in with your Mi Account,
  • turn off your phone turn it back on by pressing volume down and power on
  • now you entered fastboot (bootloader)
  • connect your phone
  • go through all steps from unlock tool (when you've done all right the unlock tool show the waiting time of 15 days to get a unlock
  • NO Worries, no data were deleted until this point
After 15 days are gone you need to connect your phone again and unlock the phone with unlock tool.
Caution: !!! All data were removed when you unlock your bootloader at this time !

2. Download & Install a Costum TWRP
  • download a costum twrp (current version i've used: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-8/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-2-0703-t3812600)
  • install the twrp by entering the bootloader (fastboot) again (Turn off, back on again with volume down and power on)
  • open a command window in windows and type fastboot flash recovery "recovery_name.img"
  • after flash is done type "fastboot boot "recovery_name.img"" to boot in your costum recovery
  • wipe partition Cache, system, data & dalvik cache & format data partition and restart recovery
  • download xiaomi.eu rom and transfer the file via usb to smartphone (should work after you've formated your data partition and rebooted in recovery again)
  • flash xiaomi.eu with twrp by pressing Install in TWRP --> chosing the zip file you've downloaded
  • Now it should install Xiaomi.eu rom, after this is done, reboot your phone normally
  • Start Android Xiaomi.eu

Complete some steps to configure your phone, sign in google account and so on ....
Download Google Pay, Set up Google Pay....Done ! --> Use Google Pay

i'm done

Last edited:
Okay, some additonal facts, Google Pay isnt supported by Xiaomi's Roms, (whatever you use, china beta/stable or global beta stable)
In Fact you need the Xiaomi.eu Rom, this Rom supports Google Pay as you can read in the insturctions to the rom or supported features.

1. You have to unlock your Bootloader to flash Xiaomi.eu Rom

• at first unlock developer options in miui (my device-> all specifications-> tab 8 or 9 times on miui-version
  • go to developer options in additional settings menu and enable OEM-Unlock
  • load unlock tool here: http://en.miui.com/unlock/
  • when download is complete unpack the archive and start miflash_unlock.exe
  • sign in with your Mi Account,
  • turn off your phone turn it back on by pressing volume down and power on
  • now you entered fastboot (bootloader)
  • connect your phone
  • go through all steps from unlock tool (when you've done all right the unlock tool show the waiting time of 15 days to get a unlock
  • NO Worries, no data were deleted until this point
After 15 days are gone you need to connect your phone again and unlock the phone with unlock tool.
Caution: !!! All data were removed when you unlock your bootloader at this time !

2. Download & Install a Costum TWRP
  • download a costum twrp (current version i've used: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-8/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-2-0703-t3812600)
  • install the twrp by entering the bootloader (fastboot) again (Turn off, back on again with volume down and power on)
  • open a command window in windows and type fastboot flash recovery "recovery_name.img"
  • after flash is done type "fastboot boot "recovery_name.img"" to boot in your costum recovery
  • wipe partition Cache, system, data & dalvik cache & format data partition and restart recovery
  • download xiaomi.eu rom and transfer the file via usb to smartphone (should work after you've formated your data partition and rebooted in recovery again)
  • flash xiaomi.eu with twrp by pressing Install in TWRP --> chosing the zip file you've downloaded
  • Now it should install Xiaomi.eu rom, after this is done, reboot your phone normally
  • Start Android Xiaomi.eu

Complete some steps to configure your phone, sign in google account and so on ....
Download Google Pay, Set up Google Pay....Done ! --> Use Google Pay

i'm done
I wish there was a Super Like in this forum! Thank you soooo much! It is finally making sense.

Reactions: exxxtasy
I wish there was a Super Like in this forum! Thank you soooo much! It is finally making sense.
Did the procedure described by exxxtasy worked for you?
I was wondering if did 'cause to be able to use GPay your Bootloader must be locked, and since (probably) your Mi8 is a Chinese variation, you can't lock your bootloader with EU rom.

Can you please give us (me) some feedback?

I was wondering if did 'cause to be able to use GPay your Bootloader must be locked, and since (probably) your Mi8 is a Chinese variation, you can't lock your bootloader with EU rom.

You can use Gpay on xiaomi.eu rom with unlocked bootloader. On my MI8 it works perfect.

Reactions: ademarizu

Hi, it did, although it was missing a couple of steps that took me an hour and a few attempts to figure out:
1) Installing the twrp - i had to download some developer tool on my computer that would allow for entering commands into command window for typing instructions like "fastboot boot "recovery_name.img"
2) in addition to wiping the "partition Cache, system, data & dalvik cache", I had to wipe something else as well, cant remember what though, figured it out by trial and error.

And for the other part of your question, my bootloader is unlocked and GPay works fine.

Hi, it did, although it was missing a couple of steps that took me an hour and a few attempts to figure out:
1) Installing the twrp - i had to download some developer tool on my computer that would allow for entering commands into command window for typing instructions like "fastboot boot "recovery_name.img"
2) in addition to wiping the "partition Cache, system, data & dalvik cache", I had to wipe something else as well, cant remember what though, figured it out by trial and error.

And for the other part of your question, my bootloader is unlocked and GPay works fine.

Thanks for the feedback! Hope you're having a smooth experience.