Mi5 64 Gb Baseband Version Unknown And No Sim Card Message. Help!

ener2k

Members
Jul 23, 2016
Hello everybody!
After restoring with TWRP a backup of MIUI by xiaomi.eu 8.1.3.0 (MAACNDI) stable, the phone shows baseband version unknown and No SIM card message, though the SIM works perfectly fine in other phones. Also, when dialing *#06# it shows correct MEID and both IMEIs, while in settings > about phone > Status > IMEI information it shows the right MEID and IMEIs, but it shows Unknown under IMEI SV (Slot1) and IMEI SV (Slot2).
I've already tried restoring older back-ups, fastboot flashing to global rom, wiping dalvik and cache, multiple reboots. I've run out of ideas. Any ideas about how to get the baseband and the GSM function back?
Also I don't have a back-up phone and I am kind of desperate. Please Help! Thanks!

Reactions: ko3st68
you have to restore your efs partition. if you ahve a complete twrp backup i think you have it too otherwise it is a big problem

I have a backup of the efs, but after I restore it there is no change. I think it might be corrupted. Other ideas?

Thanks @ener2k , could you finally fix your problem? I hope so.

Also, I'd like to ask what would be the correct way to do a backup and restore of a phone using TWRP. As you can select which partitions wou want to include in the backup, I'm guessing you should leave the EFS partition well alone (ie., not including it in the backup and, of course, not restoring it), would that be safe?

I have made backups with TWRP, but have never restored from one... So I would like to know before I have to do it :)

yes i suggest you do a single backup of efs so in the future if you need to fix imei problem you have your single backup of efs and it is easier for you!!

The problem was generated by a bug of the TWRP recovery (seems the 3.0.2.0 version, which I used for backup and restore was the one with problems). I think the bug was fixed in later versions, so you should use the latest version to avoid the problem.
Yes, my phone is working flawlessly again.
Details about the bug that causes the problem can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68500121&postcount=64
As Cecco suggested above, I think you should use latest TWRP to do an efs backup and keep it somewhere safe, and then backup and restore only the other partitions, leaving the efs unchecked.
Cheers!

Reactions: Jaime DLH and Cecco
Latest TWRP version for our Mi 5 is 3.0.2-3 , which, besides correcting the EFS backup/restore bug, has other features over 3.0.2-0, like proper OTG support, etc.

Has anyone flashed 3.0.2-3? Is it working correctly? Can I just flash it over 3.0.2-0, any special steps/precautions? Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
I flashed vs 3.0.2-3 with fastboot, over the old version. No problems so far. I made a backup to the efs, but honestly I haven't restored it.

Reactions: Jaime DLH
@ener2k Can you confirm that twrp 3.0.2.3 is the correct versione i did a backup of my efs with that versione of the recovery. If it is the correct versione i think i won't change it anymore