Mi5s Finger Reader And Mi Pc Suite Issue

SAngeli

Members
Mar 18, 2016
Hi,
when choosing what to buy, between Mi5 and Mi5s, I was quite puzzled. I knew Mi5s finger reader was a major issue but that it is a software and not a hardware issue. Xiaomi is aware of this issue and is working hard to fix it. I also knew OIS was missing but Mi5s camera should take better pictures with more light than Mi5 (I think - not sure). If I may say, I was purchasing a Google Pixel hardware smartphone branded Xiaomi.

Here I am asking for help and hope to find valid solutions to few issues I am having but despite those initial issuess I believe that Mi5s and MIUI 8 is an excellent choice.

Currently, I run xiaomi.eu weekly MIUI 8.2 - 6.12.22 Developer (have followed all xiaomi.eu guides for install) Italian and I have a PC running Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64.

1. Finger reader
In few words, simply it just does not work. It works 1 out of 10 times and every time I use it it has a different behavior and response. I place my finger on the reader area: most of the time the reader does not recognize the finger. Few times it does. I position the finger in the same way but simply it just does not read it. As you can understand I place my finger in different positions based on how I hold the device on my hand ut sometimes in a specific position it reads it and most of the time it does not.
I purchased this device because I wanted the finger reader to protect my device and data. If I must keep it this way I would rather sell it than having to go nuts and fight against this device.
What should I do to find some peace and see this important feature working properly, flowless and being always consistent, just like iPhone, Mi5 (I suspect), Huawei and Honor devices work?
This is too important to me and cannot spend my time fighting against this device. I am sure I am not the only one complaining about this defect.

2. MiPC Suite
Somehow I am unable to get this softawre to connect to my Mi5s. Anytime I run it it says "You need to update your device to use Mi PC Suite. Update your device before connecting". What am I missing here? Why am I unable to run this software?

[I edited this text because I did not find any support for the other two questions. So I decided to create a seèarate thread for them]

Thank you,
Spiro

Last edited:
About fingeprint sensor problem, you may scan your finger in many positions for better results or you can also make a second fingerprint too.
About MiPc Suite as I know, it doesn't work with android 6 devices at the moment. But you can use other applications or programms to do your job.

Hi baiosss,
thank you for your kind reply.
For fingerprint sensor, when I use the same finger sometimes it is recognized and sometimes not. I do not believe it is a matter of adding additional positions or recordings. that would be a very poor and cheap solution.
I have a Huawei Media Pad 2 10" with fingerprint sensor (without physical button) and it works 9/10 times and I did not have to record any additional finger position for the same finger. And yes, I can place the same finger in many position and still get it recognized. Also, I had the opportunity to work with two iPhones (6 and 7) and fingerprint sensor works perfectly, without missing not even 1 shot and never had to add more finger positions.
I believe that if Xiaomi is presenting us users with this hardware issue they must fix it and fix it properly and permanently. Now, I do not expect Xiaomi to fix it from one day to the other but I do expect this sensor to work always at best and top. If this is not possible then Xiaomi should allow buyers to return the device for full refund and choose another device (like Mi5 as example) because this is an important component of the smartphone and not an option that can be or not ignored.
So, this is a problem that I do expect Xiaomi to fix it all the way. Am I the only one on earth having this issue? At which stage is Xiaomi with this issue to be fixed?

As for Mi PC Suite I thought the issue was referred to the kind of ROM being used. Somewhere I recall reading that it works only with Global Chinese but I could be wrong. baiosss can you please sugges some applications that would be fully compatible with this device and perhaps that would work via Wi-Fi (not direct USB cable) both for Windows and Max OS? Many thanks in advanced for your sharing.

Hi baiosss,
thank you for your kind reply.
For fingerprint sensor, when I use the same finger sometimes it is recognized and sometimes not. I do not believe it is a matter of adding additional positions or recordings. that would be a very poor and cheap solution.
I have a Huawei Media Pad 2 10" with fingerprint sensor (without physical button) and it works 9/10 times and I did not have to record any additional finger position for the same finger. And yes, I can place the same finger in many position and still get it recognized. Also, I had the opportunity to work with two iPhones (6 and 7) and fingerprint sensor works perfectly, without missing not even 1 shot and never had to add more finger positions.
I believe that if Xiaomi is presenting us users with this hardware issue they must fix it and fix it properly and permanently. Now, I do not expect Xiaomi to fix it from one day to the other but I do expect this sensor to work always at best and top. If this is not possible then Xiaomi should allow buyers to return the device for full refund and choose another device (like Mi5 as example) because this is an important component of the smartphone and not an option that can be or not ignored.
So, this is a problem that I do expect Xiaomi to fix it all the way. Am I the only one on earth having this issue? At which stage is Xiaomi with this issue to be fixed?

As for Mi PC Suite I thought the issue was referred to the kind of ROM being used. Somewhere I recall reading that it works only with Global Chinese but I could be wrong. baiosss can you please sugges some applications that would be fully compatible with this device and perhaps that would work via Wi-Fi (not direct USB cable) both for Windows and Max OS? Many thanks in advanced for your sharing.

Many have found the fingerprint reader works better if your thumb is placed horizontally along the bottom of the phone, at 90 or 270 degrees to the button. When I do this it works over 90% of the time. I seem to remember the sensor worked better on the China ROM, and I believe it has been improved in the new EU ROM, looking at the feedback. So it is likely to be improved by software changes.

Hi,
I just wish to report that fingerprint reader simply does not work properly and it not reliable at all.
Please note that it is not possible to record more than 5 fingers.
Even if I tried to record two scans per finger the device is very very inconsistent and what makes me mad is that if I place the finger in the same position, if I press a bit or not, most of the times the device not even bothers to recognize it and few times, in the same exact position, does recognizes it.
So, I just decided - with great sadness - to just disable this shity function waiting for Xiaomi to fix it for real and for sure.
I am very very sad about this because I aimed to implement some security on this device: and please do not suggest to use PIN or other solutions.

Now, my question is: is Xiaomi reading this specific thread? Is Xiaomi aware as of today that this is a major issue still bothering users? How to find out when this will be solved?

Thank you all xiaomi.eu community for your support

Xiaomi will not be reading this thread as this is not an official Xiaomi website or ROM.

You may find more information on the official forum at en . miui . com / forum.

There are reports that xiamoi.eu ROM version 6.12.29 has improved the fingerprint reader on the Mi5s, but I cannot confirm this as I'm using the stable ROM.

Thank you for your suggestion (ver 6.12.29) and for the info. Should I report my issues on miui.com forum? Whould that help?

As I am "new" to xiaomi.ey and wish to properly learn, how do I find the correct chainlog for each rom that is released on xiaomi.eu specifically for my model (Mi5s)? This way I can read, on weekly release, what is new/what is a fix and decide if to apply it or not and wait for the upcoming week.

Lastly, every time I upgrade/update current ROM I read somwhere, for fingerprint issue, I have to flash chache e Dalvik twice (first time immediately after having updated/upgraded rom, and the additional two times after each reboot). Does it make any sense?

One quick question: when is the best time to flash "SuperSU.zip" and reapply Adaway? I was told that every time I update/upgrade rom I have to always reinstall SuperSU and Adaway.

Thank you.