Mi5s Plus Arrived With Mi5s Rom

Robert Jordan

Members
Nov 24, 2017
Yesterday I received my first Xiaomi phone, a lovely Mi5s plus. I noticed a couple of glitches and found that the stock software installed was V8.5.4.0.MAGMIED which is for the Mi5s, not plus.
I then spent the rest of last night attempting to install the correct ROM V9.1.1.0.NBGMIEI. I downloaded it, changed the name to update.zip, copied it to the root of the phone and attempted the update via recovery mode and using the 'updater' app. Neither way recognised the file, i.e. I got an error message in the 'updater' app, or there was not an option to 'install update.zip to system' in recovery mode.
I tried an older Mi5s plus ROM (Version: V8.5.3.0.MBGMIED) in the hope of then automatically updating from there.
I would rather not flashboot, although I will if I know this is the easiest way that will definitely work.
Does anyone know why I cannot update to this ROM? Is the phone stopping me because the ROM phone models do not match? If I try flashboot is it likely to succeed when recovery update did not?

Last edited:
I assume you aren't using xiaomi.eu rom?
If you're just using official rom then you can either update via updater app OTA (over the air from xiaomi) or update using the fast boot method (.tgz file you need to download from xiaomi).
The advantage with fastboot is you're less likely to run into issues as it's a clean install and you will get the baseband (modem) firmware upgraded as well. This is especially useful as you are going from miui8 to miui9.

Hope this helps.