Invalid Mi8 - 9.10.17 v2 - Google Phone app issue

Devilish_

Members
May 17, 2019
Hello,

I was using Google's Phone app installed from the playstore. The app was installed while 9.10.17 v1 was installed and it was set as default dialer.

With the installation of v2, the app disappeared from the device (checked via adb and the package is not visible). Also, in the playstore the app is listed as incompatible with the device.

Attempting to install the apk directly results in an "app not installed" message.

Any idea as to why the app was removed by the update and why it is no longer available for install ?

Last edited:
It's a wonder you were able to use it before, on my Mi 9 I was never able to install it from Google Play or APK, straight up incompatible.

I have exactly the same issue on my Mi8.

Up until today I used Google Phone as my default Caller App. But after I've installed the latest v2 Beta the App was gone from my smartphone. It was still possible to find Google Phone App in Play Store though but any attempt to install it would fail resulting in an error message. And after I cleared cache and data of my Play Store app (to maybe fix the installation error) — it disappeared from the search results in there too.

I really hope this can be fixed since it has never been an issue and there are seemingly no serious reasons for it to become one.

Update for 9.10.24
App still not visible in the playstore however the app can be installed using apk from apkmirror.
Since the app is not reliant on locked bootloader as it was the case with Netflix we hope this can be solved and installation is possible again via playstore as it has always been the case with xiaomi.eu rom

I think there is a better way for 9.10.24.

Launch Google Play Store and clear Cache and Data of that App. After that try to search for Google Phone in Play Store and it should appear as per usual (in other words — as before the 9.10.17 v2). 9.10.24 solved the issue after all, but the cached data of Play Store prevents the app from showing up properly. So this is the story with a proper happy ending I guess.

You are correct. After a clear all data of the play store the app is available. Also there seems to not be an issue if the 9.10.17 v2 is skipped (update from v1 to 9.10.24)