Miui 8 : How To?

Have you tried going to settings> installed apps>scroll all the way to the bottom >documents=disable...

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

Well yes... that is the starting point for examining the problem on the Mipad 1.

First thing you find is that you need an app with root access to enable the Documents app as it is a system app. I can do that no problem and google confirmed that other users have also used Titanium Backup or RomToolBox Pro to do just that also by Defrosting the app in question.

Now on Xiaomi devices running newer Android e.g. 5+ this is workable as you can easily Enable this app after every reboot if necessary.

But Mipad 1 is not Android 5+ and has not had Android updated and still runs Android 4.4 KitKat and this workaround does not work. Yes you can Defrost the Documents app thereby enable it, but it is Frozen for a reason - it doesn't work with MiUi 8! When you try to do something in an app that needs its functionality for file handling it just crashes....

I hope this is clear although a little long I know. If you have a Mipad 1 and experience something different with MiUi 8, I and probably some others who have hastily upgraded thinking it was 'solid' would be very interested as we want 'solid' and 'stable' also :=)

Thanks for your interest, although I see you have a Mi4c which maybe has a different Android version which would explain why you can easily enable Documents app just like I can on my phone running Android 5. Not for the Mipad 1 which uses old Android v4.4.

Last edited:
I prefer using SolidExplorer as documents app and Microsoft Office apps, because they are more advanced, stable and optimised.
I use root for removing system apps I do not use

I prefer using SolidExplorer as documents app and Microsoft Office apps, because they are more advanced, stable and optimised.
I use root for removing system apps I do not use

Its completely nothing to do with what File Explorer we prefer. The Documents app is central to the system file handling of Android it would appear as has been explained several times already. It is not a File Explorer anyway. So the fact that you and I have our own preferred user file explorers has got nothing to do with it. And the Android 4.4 Kitkat version can't properly work with MiUi 8 until it is fixed.

Anyway xiaomi.eu have decided to stop issuing MiUi 8 Dev versions for 4.4 devices e.g. Mipad 1 and will wait for stable versions to be released.
Very wisely in my opinion.

You don't have to be a genius to figure that Kitkat devices will be last to get any bugs sorted out by Xiaomi and the focus will be on newer releases first like Android 5/6/7/*

Ah I see, I think I did not read it correctly. To reply on your comment: I have not faced any problems yet, but will reply if I face specific problems..

However, it is not a shame Xiaomi.eu drops support for Android 4.4; it is a shame Xiaomi is not transparent in sharing their sources codes for their devices - but this is another discussion.

Ah I see, I think I did not read it correctly. To reply on your comment: I have not faced any problems yet, but will reply if I face specific problems..

However, it is not a shame Xiaomi.eu drops support for Android 4.4; it is a shame Xiaomi is not transparent in sharing their sources codes for their devices - but this is another discussion.

You are right, sharing source code would open up the possibility of Cyanogen Mod versions to extend the more secure life of Mipad 1 after Xiaomi give up on updates for it.

Google need to sort out the fragmented android ecosystem. When you buy a Google device you get Android version updates for a few years and can afterwards look for CM versions if necessary.

Another problem with Documents app not working for MiUi 8, Nova Launcher Backup doesn't work and just hangs (it needs the Document app to be working to be able to save a backup). I think I may be able to work around this in preparing my downgrade back to v7 by just copying the teslacoils folder as a manual backup so that I don't lose all my desktop and shortcuts.

Given that I managed the partition merge task, I would resume the procedure to anyone (new to this world) that feel confused like me.

I follow these steps.
1) I copy these files to Mipad (any folder you want):
Repartition_MI_Pad_1_2GB_zardMi3.zip
Repartition_Stock-Partition_MI_Pad_zardMi3.zip
2) I boot to CWM v6.0.5.0
3) Go to 'Advanced' menu and set active system to "System1"
4) I backup do SD-card (internal memory)
5) I wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition from main menu
6) I wipe dalwik cache from advanced menu
7) I install zip (from CWM main memu): Repartition_MI_Pad_1_2GB_zardMi3.zip (browse miPad storage)
8) After reboot (if it does not start plug the charger and try to return to CWM)
Go to 'Advanced' menu and set active system to "System1" (or verify it is selected)
6) I select System1 and Restore the backup
7) I reboot system

After reboot I use DiskInfo App to verify the system is 1.2Gb.

Now I proceed flashing the 8.1.2.0...

Last edited:
Hi!
I get a bootloop during resizing the system capacity.
I can't reboot to the recovery, nor the fastboot mode.

How can i unbrick my device?
Thanks.

Hi!

Thanks.

Did you meant you're getting a bootloop after resizing?
Do you see anything on the screen?

To everyone here, why do you use CWM when the guide specifically states that you should use TWRP 2.8.4 multirom? The main reason of using TWRP is because you don't need to fiddle with which system partitions to select because the script is built to practically eliminate one of them (it doesn't completely, it just resizes it considerably).
So, why use CWM and over complicate your life when you can simply follow the guide?

Did you meant you're getting a bootloop after resizing?
Do you see anything on the screen?
Since then i can flash a fastboot rom.
But every time when i do resizing with TWRP, the process is interrupted, and i get a bootloop.
I don't try this process with CWM recovery. This will be next step for me :)

Hi!

Thanks.

Hi, I too have had some missed loads of recovery during the various attempts that have then I did write the guide above.
If the tablet don't want to enter to recovery try plug the charger and when the battery indicator appears wait a minute, then umplug the cable, wait few seconds and retry to enter recovey.
I use CWM because i don't need to install TWRP before (it automatically install v.3.0.2-0 with v8 rom), and I do the whole process without connect the teblet to a PC.
Now I updated to v.8.2.2.0 stable, navigation key now seems to work better, they are more responsive.

Of course there is:
Repartition_MI_Pad_1_2GB_zardMi3.zip
Here in simple steps that what you need to do:
1. install TWRP (best methode is via fastboot) and boot into TWRP
2. make a backup of your running system with TWRP
3. Wipe Cache, Data, System and Dalvik Cache in TWRP
4. run Repartition_MI_Pad_1_2GB_zardMi3.zip
5. wipe Cache and Davlik in TWRP
6. restore backup you made in step 2 with TWRP
7. boot system (everything shoul work as before you started)
8. download diskinfo APk from Playstore to confirm extended partition size
if everything is ok you can flash MIUI 8

I did this with 3 miPad's and hade no problems.

Thanks! I would like to try this soon with my MiPad 1 too.