miui app drawer

manideep

Members
Aug 3, 2011
it would be really awesome if miui developers make a app drawer for next update, if not atleast make the apps to stay in order according to the alphabet

Take all your apps and put them in a folder.
Click the pencil in the left hand corner of the folder and choose "Sort by name."
Click OK.
Drag that folder onto your launcher bar.

I will never understand why people are so violently against having the option available, and why they think folders are the equivalent.
*will continue to use folders though, for now.*

iam not asking how to make a app drawer, iam asking the developers to make an app drawer for the next stable or beta version, see if we dont have a app drawer we will use another launcher, iam asking why we should use another launcher....pls miui developers be concern this issue

I felt the same way at first, but I too just use a folder and put it in the tray on the bottom. the drawer-lessness of MIUI is something that differentiates MIUI from all other ROMs and I wouldn't expect it to go away.

but manideep is right i like an appdrawer too and i suggested this to dev team a while ago but they don't seem to implement suggestions :(

MIUI, Redefining Android: it's the title of the home page... the marvelous people behind this rom are making it quite clear that it's different... that single term redefining is powerful. They're letting you know that this is going to be a very different android experience. And, thankfully... it is!

I will never understand why people are so violently against having the option available, and why they think folders are the equivalent.

I don't see that anyone is "so violently" against anything concerning the rom. And, I don't think that folders are the equivalent. I think the lack of an app drawer forces the user to have a reconceptualization of android and its work flow... I don't consider folders to be an equivalent of the launcher paradigm: I consider a carefully conceived folder system to be a quite superior way to run android on a device... I would guess a lot of MIUI users aren't in favor of a launcher drawer simply because they realize that not only is the launcher app drawer unnecessary... it can actually detract from their android experience.

I've run cm and used adw, launcher pro, etc. And, I've found that a lot of the extensive functionality amounts to a whole lot of sizzle without much steak. Yes, flicking up an extra app drawer etc. etc. is all very impressive... but, for me... none of that stuff is real world necessary... it's a bunch of functionality that I don't need. Having all of that extra functionality actually hinders my work flow... The way that MIUI forced me to set up android made me realize that it just makes sense....

You know what I have trouble understanding?

There are dozens of roms in the android world that allow android to be leveraged in different ways. MIUI is what it is... and I don't foresee the philosophical underpinnings of this rom ever changing in a significant way... I don't understand why---given all the alternate android choices---people insist on using a rom that doesn't make them happy and expressing their unhappiness in a public way.

In other words... and I mean this in a nice way... MIUI is what it is and a whole lot of people love it for what it is... You don't like it? Find a rom you do like.

You know what I have trouble understanding?

There are dozens of roms in the android world that allow android to be leveraged in different ways. MIUI is what it is... and I don't foresee the philosophical underpinnings of this rom ever changing in a significant way... I don't understand why---given all the alternate android choices---people insist on using a rom that doesn't make them happy and expressing their unhappiness in a public way.

In other words... and I mean this in a nice way... MIUI is what it is and a whole lot of people love it for what it is... You don't like it? Find a rom you do like.

I wholeheartedly agree. I mean seriously; we don't see users of any other ROM crying (and yes, you people are just plain crying now) for the developers to get rid of the app drawer from the launcher that they include, now do we?

So get over it already, either install an alternative launcher, or just plain install another ROM and stop pushing these "suggestions" down our throats.

You know why you don't see other roms complaining about /having/ an app drawer? They have the option to go without that doesn't change the interface of their ROM.
And that's the main thing, when you break it all down. People like to have the option available, even if they're not going to take advantage of it; Android is effectively /built/ on that premise.

As an alternate view to folders, I personally feel that folders hinder my process so I instead minimise the amount of folders I use, effectively breaking it down to games, and apps. I don't categorise the apps in my head, when I wish to search for them, I instead simply know the name of what I'm searching for. Needing to remember that Facebook is in my social folder goes against my immediate instincts to simply look for Facebook. That's where the app drawer excels, in its simplicity.
I'm otherwise in complete agreeance that unnecessary additions are counter-productive... but that's only true of an app drawer if you're going out of your way to implement the extras.

MIUI is far superior in overall design than other ROMS available, at least in personal opinion, and the lack or addition of an app drawer wouldn't change my mind either way. No one is unhappy using MIUI, who still uses, and no one is so unhappy without an app drawer that they're crying themselves to sleep each night. OPTIONAL functionality doesn't affect anyway, and is effectively what is being asked for.
No one is pushing anything down your throats.
[/devils advocate]

You know why you don't see other roms complaining about /having/ an app drawer? They have the option to go without that doesn't change the interface of their ROM.
And that's the main thing, when you break it all down. People like to have the option available, even if they're not going to take advantage of it; Android is effectively /built/ on that premise.

As an alternate view to folders, I personally feel that folders hinder my process so I instead minimise the amount of folders I use, effectively breaking it down to games, and apps. I don't categorise the apps in my head, when I wish to search for them, I instead simply know the name of what I'm searching for. Needing to remember that Facebook is in my social folder goes against my immediate instincts to simply look for Facebook. That's where the app drawer excels, in its simplicity.
I'm otherwise in complete agreeance that unnecessary additions are counter-productive... but that's only true of an app drawer if you're going out of your way to implement the extras.

MIUI is far superior in overall design than other ROMS available, at least in personal opinion, and the lack or addition of an app drawer wouldn't change my mind either way. No one is unhappy using MIUI, who still uses, and no one is so unhappy without an app drawer that they're crying themselves to sleep each night. OPTIONAL functionality doesn't affect anyway, and is effectively what is being asked for.
No one is pushing anything down your throats.
[/devils advocate]

And yet you refuse to use a launcher that has an app drawer (the very thing you want) such as Launcher Pro, ADW EX and Go Launcher...

So tell me again why the options available to you are not an option in your opinion? Is it because it's not an official MIUI app? Or because of some other mystifying reason?

And while users aren't crying themselves to sleep each night over the lack of an app drawer, they certainly find it appealing to post the same thing over and over on these forums.

Also, "You know why you don't see other roms complaining about /having/ an app drawer? They have the option to go without that doesn't change the interface of their ROM.", is incorrect. The reason users of other ROMs don't complain is because if they do not like the stock launcher that comes with their ROM of choice, they simply install an alternative launcher that suites their taste; something that more and more MIUI users are spoiled into not even considering such an option.

If you don't want to use an entire launcher replacement, I highly recommend using the "Alt Drawer" app over at xda. Works perfectly for an app drawer replacement and fits nicely with miui.
ae471ad5-deb6-bacf.jpg

ae471ad5-ded1-cc27.jpg

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2

MIUI, Redefining Android: it's the title of the home page... the marvelous people behind this rom are making it quite clear that it's different... that single term redefining is powerful. They're letting you know that this is going to be a very different android experience. And, thankfully... it is!

i agree with all that ur saying... but just to be clear, "Redefining Android" is the slogan voted on by the community for this website. I don't believe it to be the actual slogan of MIUI and is not affiliated with the actual MIUI developers, just the translators and great guys at this website :)

I actually prefer not having an app drawer! Coming from the Evo 4G with Sense, I like it better this way. The folders make it much easier to organize and find what I'm seeking.