Miui Rom On Mi A1 To Have A Mi 5x With Unlocked Lte

Daniele Benati

Members
Nov 20, 2016
Hello,
Many people already asked this question on many other forums, and they have been blamed by everyone because people consider stupid to buy an A1 and ask for a MIUI when you have Mi 5x that's identical and already run MIUI rom.

THOSE PHONES ARE NOT IDENTICAL

In fact, A1 runs LTE (4g) bands that Mi 5X doesn't have. In Italy the majority of the LTE is on Band 20 for example, and this is the reason why A1 is having lot of success like the other phones with a GLOBAL version (Redmi 4x/Redmi Note 4 Global etc).

What we're asking for is not a rom: the rom already exists.
What we're asking for is not a porting: the phone's HW is THE SAME so there's no need to work or fix anything.

We just need a way, a tweak, a solution, a trick, a "something" to avoid the A/B partition problem and flash the xiaomi.eu rom for Mi 5x on A1 to have a FULLY UNLOCKED phone that can use ALL THE LTE BANDS and also all the advantages of the MIUI rom.

Can somebody help us, now that you know that's not only matter of "PLS port MIUI on A1 cuz it's beautiful plz plz plz"

Hello,
Many people already asked this question on many other forums, and they have been blamed by everyone because people consider stupid to buy an A1 and ask for a MIUI when you have Mi 5x that's identical and already run MIUI rom.

THOSE PHONES ARE NOT IDENTICAL

In fact, A1 runs LTE (4g) bands that Mi 5X doesn't have. In Italy the majority of the LTE is on Band 20 for example, and this is the reason why A1 is having lot of success like the other phones with a GLOBAL version (Redmi 4x/Redmi Note 4 Global etc).

What we're asking for is not a rom: the rom already exists.
What we're asking for is not a porting: the phone's HW is THE SAME so there's no need to work or fix anything.

We just need a way, a tweak, a solution, a trick, a "something" to avoid the A/B partition problem and flash the xiaomi.eu rom for Mi 5x on A1 to have a FULLY UNLOCKED phone that can use ALL THE LTE BANDS and also all the advantages of the MIUI rom.

Can somebody help us, now that you know that's not only matter of "PLS port MIUI on A1 cuz it's beautiful plz plz plz"
I'm also waiting MIUI
Bell'argomento

Could happen soon ...
the 1st to get it ...my bad this is the other way around ...Android One on redmi 4....

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

This is not what we asked for. We asked for the exact opposite, a MIUI on A1.
Lineage (that's a custom rom based on a stock android) always existed...

Reactions: Sergio233
I have a very interesting question: If MIUI and google stock roms differ in partitions and what not, then....maybe this could work:
In the official xiaomi site there is a version of MIUI9 that already available for Mi A1.
Here it is:
http://en.miui.com/download-333.html
If I install that with fastboot, it will do all the partitioning for me and maybe after that the 5X roms that available here can easily be installed.

What do you think?

I have a very interesting question: If MIUI and google stock roms differ in partitions and what not, then....maybe this could work:
In the official xiaomi site there is a version of MIUI9 that already available for Mi A1.
Here it is:
If I install that with fastboot, it will do all the partitioning for me and maybe after that the 5X roms that available here can easily be installed.

What do you think?
It's not MIUI

Here it is:

What do you think?
This is pure Android One, not Miui. For Mi A1 probably never release official Miui Rom. Maybe in future some one port miui to this phone, but will be only port/custom rom. Not official.

Reactions: iamme729
I am hoping so...I bought one... it arrived last week in the USA ...I wont be able to use it until I go to the USA next April ....:eek:
Its silently sitting in the desk waiting for me......
Gaunt Software
Absolutely effective

MIUI = is MIUI > The best Rom

Hey Guys, with the finger print sensor is it no problem to switch the screen on, and wether i push a button or double tap to screen, hey therefore I don't need a app ;-)

If 5X and A1 are the same, why hasn't anybody just tried cross flashing? Unlock bootloader, flash the fastboot images of 5x, see what happens?

I'm 99% sure that you can't fastboot brick Snapdragon devices (they're well protected, or they at least don't expose fastboot to be flashed in fastboot itself).

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Because Mi A1 uses an A/B partition format ...Xiaomi Mi A1 comes with two set of partitions, where one set is utilized when the device is active, while the other set comes into play whenever a new update is to be applied. New updates are downloaded and installed onto the inactive slots while the active slots continue to do their work in keeping the phone switched on and working.
https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-a1-android-ab-partition/
I know all that. But why hasn't anybody just repackaged the 5x firmware? They both just use regular sparse image formats for fastboot flashing...

Why are you quoting me? Kernel source is completely off topic.

Anyway I answered my own question, the difference is that Mi A1 uses what's called a skip_initrd system, I won't go into technical details here because nobody will understand. It's probably possible to port MIUI though, if someone wants to. I would but I don't want people to annoy me with irrelevant things.

Why are you quoting me? Kernel source is completely off topic.

Anyway I answered my own question, the difference is that Mi A1 uses what's called a skip_initrd system, I won't go into technical details here because nobody will understand. It's probably possible to port MIUI though, if someone wants to. I would but I don't want people to annoy me with irrelevant things.

If people annoy You, just not talk with people...
Beacusr no one dont want brick phone.
Miui from 5x for A1 brick Yours devices
What You dont understand? Difference partitions. Change partitions if You can do it and dont complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Mi A1 uses an A/B partition format ...Xiaomi Mi A1 comes with two set of partitions, where one set is utilized when the device is active, while the other set comes into play whenever a new update is to be applied. New updates are downloaded and installed onto the inactive slots while the active slots continue to do their work in keeping the phone switched on and working.
https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-a1-android-ab-partition/
And that is EXACTLY how it was on MI3/MI4 when they initially release these phones. Later, due to luck of the available space on 16 Gb version, they are merged them. I am absolutely confident repartitioning could be done with help of Qualcomm tools. After that ROM for 5x could be flashed in TWRP. Result could be nonfunctional LTE Band 20 if kernel module on MIUI disables it ;-) No interest for me as I am perfectly fine with "pure" Android on A1 and with latest MIUI on my second still very usable MI4 (unbelievable great phone I am using for 3+ years and it is still very much like new)

Reactions: mnikolce
If people annoy You, just not talk with people...
Beacusr no one dont want brick phone.
Miui from 5x for A1 brick Yours devices
What You dont understand? Difference partitions. Change partitions if You can do it and dont complain.

Beside the point. I was quoted with an answer that was unrelated to my post.

On to the point - the device is technically unbrickable, if you're willing to take apart the device (EDL kick with testpoint is always possible, even with destroyed bootloader) which you can use qualcomm tool to recover.

Repartitioning is easy, I already did it with the Treble conversion project.

Anyway, I've started preliminary work on porting MIUI 10 from Redmi S2 (since it's 8.1 base) - I don't want to go back to 7.x which may be insecure or lack API features. I have missed MIUI, and I plan to get the Poco F1 towards the end of the year.