Mobile Hotspot not working using 5ghz band

xNAPx

Members
May 31, 2021
I have this issue with my Mi 11 Ultra basically if I active the 5Ghz band when I activate the mobile hotspot it is not recognized by my PC and other devices (of course they are compatible with the 5ghz band). when on official EEA ROM to solve this issue I run the adb commands

settings get global tether_dun_required

and

settings put global tether_dun_required 0

these commands solved the issue on that ROM, now I'm on Global 12.5.4.0 just factory resetted and wifi hotspot is not showing even though I run the same commands

any solution?

Nobody experienced this? What if I would change the region on my phone? I heard it may be something related to EU regulations. What would entail changing my actual region on the phone?

Hi, I'm currently in the exact same situation, I've been on MIUI10 for years, and it was working like a charm to my Switch in 5ghz, then I decided to install MIUI12
And now it's not working anymore, even with
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
and even putting DUN in apn settings
have you fixed the issue since ?

Hello, same problem with my Xiaomi 11t and mini 12.5.8
Any way to report this bug?

I faced the same issue with my Xiaomi Mi 11 on the latest Global ROM as of 13/02/2022 (can't recall the version number). 5GHz mobile hotspot did not function at all and no hotspot was broadcast. Now I use xiaomi.eu 13.0.6 and still face the same issue. With xiaomi.eu however, it seems to broadcast only a 2.4GHz hotspot even with the 5GHz hotspot option enabled. My laptop reports that the AP my phone puts out supports both 2.4 and 5GHz but no 5GHz BSSID is found on any device.

I‘ve found a workaround:
1 - Turn on the hotspot (5 Ghz) on your computer.
2 - Connect your Xiaomi to this hotspot.
3 - Turn on the hotspot (5 Ghz) on your Xiaomi. This way, the channel for the hotspot is the same as the wifi currently in use.
4 - Turn off the hotspot on the computer.
5 - Now you can connect your computer to the Xiaomi’s hotspot! :)

I‘ve found a workaround:
1 - Turn on the hotspot (5 Ghz) on your computer.
2 - Connect your Xiaomi to this hotspot.
3 - Turn on the hotspot (5 Ghz) on your Xiaomi. This way, the channel for the hotspot is the same as the wifi currently in use.
4 - Turn off the hotspot on the computer.
5 - Now you can connect your computer to the Xiaomi’s hotspot! :)
Yeah I worked this one out with my home WiFi, not great if you're on the road though and don't have any wifi to connect to. Thanks for sharing this advice though.

i have the same problem with my car and my poco f2 pro on weekly 22.1.19 that the hotspot
in 5ghz of my poco can not be seen by my cars radio.
If i activate the hotspot of the car and connect with my phone to it and then i activate the hotspot
of the phone with 5ghz it is working.

this is the same as you workaround above.
this has something to to with wifi channels i think or maybe not .. i cant tell (it sucks)

Just updated to beta xiaomi.eu 22.3.3 and have been experimenting with the new WiFi region selector and have determined that this appears to be an issue with the United Kingdom WiFi channel configuration on the Mi 11. When I manually select the United States config 5GHz hotspot works perfectly first try without the need to connect to WiFi or whatever else. Obviously this can't be a permanent solution as using a different countries WiFi region is less than optimal but at least we have a cause.

It appears this may not be fixable due to it being an issue further down on Xiaomi's side. One workaround is to use the new WiFi region selector and select another country that isn't the UK. If you don't live in the UK you should select your own country which should solve the problem. For people in the UK it seems the most optimal alternative choice is France as they share the same WiFi channels as us. I'm currently using France and all seems to work correctly.

I have updatet my Poco F2 Pro to 22.3.3 but the selector doesnt helps me.
I seems that my navy can only detect channels below <=48.
And for some reason my Poco likes to use Channel 149 when i start the hotspot.
(not always the case, sometimes it works and uses a lower channel number)

Sadly i am not able to force a Channel.... only a country and it seems my Navi does not work with Channels above 48.

Last edited:
oh come one Xiaomi! Latest firmware Redmi Note 10 Pro

it's a great device.. but when it comes to WiFi hotspots... it's TERRIBLE.

Do we really need to be mobile developers playing around over ADB to get the Hotspot up and running Xiaomi ???

And even then, the hotspot is not recognized by other devices when 5Ghz band is enabled.

Xiaomi??

Reactions: Jmxiao
There is a solution since last update

Do we really need to be mobile developers playing around over ADB to get the Hotspot up and running Xiaomi ???

And even then, the hotspot is not recognized by other devices when 5Ghz band is enabled.

Xiaomi??

Xiaomi??
You know it is not a Xiaomi forum, right?

You know it is not a Xiaomi forum, right?
actually I did not.
@Motox, you probably mean an update which is not yet available through automatic update system? and has to be flashed manually?

Also. do you fellas have a work around for setting a static ip address to computers connected over LAN spawned by the hotspot?

I mean, I've never experienced anything like it with any other device but this device seems to randomize the subnet it uses every now end then.. breaking my static IP assigned to a computer...

u knoiw this here is not a xiaomi forum? this is a custom rom and yes u have to update manually,
u have to set region in wifi stttings after that everything is normal again with wifi

Under the assumption that everyone is rational and needs to be incentivized to perform work (prepare custom roms),
I am too concerned about security to put my private life in the hands of remote people.

Hotspot in 2ghz mode works just fine on the stock rom (after doing some mods through ADB)

You guys know a way for it to allow for static IPs? instead of random subnet assigned over DHCP? At least to enforce a static subnet?