Never Updated Doubt

Ramtaro

Members
Nov 22, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have an almost 2 years old Redmi Note 2, and I never tried to update it, so my doubt is this...

Can I apply the last update (MIUI 7) without wiping all the data?

The version of my device is 5.10.22 Beta (the development ROM I guess) and I want to apply the 6.5.26 (I've read lots of stuff about MIUI 8 with a fast battery consumption, so I prefer to keep using MIUI 7 at the moment)

Grettings

You could try to update with increments of half years. Can't be hard to find the downloads on the official MIUI site. When bumping to a new android or major MIUI version just find the first release for your phone and read the instructions. If there is no mention about data loss, you are probably in the clear.

Another way of working would be download and install the latest MIUI 7 ROM, followed by the first MIUI 8 ROM and lastly the latest MIUI 8 ROM. The update between those 7 and 8 are the "regular" way and updating it to the latest in the same version are just incremental, so it should not break anything.

NOTE: Do make very sure to keep in the same branch (Xiaomi.eu/Global beta/China beta) all the time, as switching DOES wipe everything most of the times.

Reactions: Adeolu and Ramtaro
You could try to update with increments of half years. Can't be hard to find the downloads on the official MIUI site. When bumping to a new android or major MIUI version just find the first release for your phone and read the instructions. If there is no mention about data loss, you are probably in the clear.

Another way of working would be download and install the latest MIUI 7 ROM, followed by the first MIUI 8 ROM and lastly the latest MIUI 8 ROM. The update between those 7 and 8 are the "regular" way and updating it to the latest in the same version are just incremental, so it should not break anything.

NOTE: Do make very sure to keep in the same branch (Xiaomi.eu/Global beta/China beta) all the time, as switching DOES wipe everything most of the times.

I don't know what exactly do you mean...

but if I want to upgrade from 5.10.22 Beta to 6.5.26, you are recomending me to use some other rom between those versions before upgrading to the version I want?

By the way I'm using the version of this website.

You should be able to just install 6.5.25 without problems. Most people don't have trouble with MIUI 8 (at least not with the latest versions), so if you change your mind you should do the following:

First this one:
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/6-5-26-last-miui-7.31811/

Then:
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/6-6-16-17-18-miui-8.32197/

And finally the latest one:
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/7-7-20-last-miui-8.40847/

If there is any mention of installing it in TWRP you only have to wipe Dalvik Cache and the regular Cache. to get into TWRP just shut down your phone and afterwards hold both the volume buttons (keep holding) and shortly hold the on/off button. If for some reason you don't have TWRP, just report back, I'll help you with that one too.

/EDIT: I didn't read that you wanted to stay on MIUI 7 at first, hence my first message which will have confused you. Sorry for that!

Reactions: Ramtaro
Oooh, ookay, so there's no problem.. I had that doubt because maybe a big update could need another between that version an the current version one.

Fortunately I installed TWRP time ago and updated it to the latest version available for my device, so there's no problem with it.

I've read in this forum that you can upgrade to dev>dev (or stable>stable) without full data wipe (just cache and dalvik cache as you said), but does it matter if I try to upgrade for a dev to a stable without a fully data wipe ?

Thanks for the help

It does matter, although someone else has to say why. My experience has proven that it's a bit more risky, so at least make a backup first. Yet again, I had no problem with any beta since I have a Xiaomi phone (half year or so and "servicing" the ones from my GF and mom), so you could try to use that one first if you are really planning to not wipe anything. The OTA-updates for the stable ROM have been discontinued, so you won't be missing that one.

BTW, I would make a backup anyway just to make sure, at the very least the stuff that is very dear to you. Nothing is certain in life, so if you encounter a extremely rare bug and lose everything you will be regretting it.

Reactions: Adeolu
Well after I tried to install, the TWRP sais "skipping md5 check: no MD5 file found" and got stuck... So I forced to power off and then it just starts with the TWRP and not the Miui xDD

Any help to "revive" my phone?

EDIT: Well, apparently, it just "updated" with "no errors", but when the phone is loading, it just keep on the MIUI loading screen.

Last edited:
What exactly have you tried to do? BTW, it can take a while to install, so you could also just try again and wait more (up to 10 minutes I would say). Also check your downloaded ROM's sumcheck (WinMD5 is the program I use, original string can be found on the download page of the ROM). Maybe you have a corrupted download.

If that doesn't work you could try to dirty flash to your old version again (in the optimistic thought that the new ROM didn't make too many changes due to the error).

If that also fails, do a full standard wipe, install the MIUI of choice and cry a little as things were really broken and you lost your data (except photos, and music etcetera because that should be left untouched by doing the "standard" wipe).

What exactly have you tried to do? BTW, it can take a while to install, so you could also just try again and wait more (up to 10 minutes I would say). Also check your downloaded ROM's sumcheck (WinMD5 is the program I use, original string can be found on the download page of the ROM). Maybe you have a corrupted download.

If that doesn't work you could try to dirty flash to your old version again (in the optimistic thought that the new ROM didn't make too many changes due to the error).

If that also fails, do a full standard wipe, install the MIUI of choice and cry a little as things were really broken and you lost your data (except photos, and music etcetera because that should be left untouched by doing the "standard" wipe).

I went to full edit my last post lol

Yeah, it too up to 20 ~ 23 minutes to fully end the update from TWRP (took around 6 min) to Miui's upgrade(this one took too much time) but at least the update is completed, and everything is ok

Well maybe Google Play Serviced FCd twice, but it stopped lol

I don't care too much about the data, a full wipe data wouldn't be a problem for me haha But I'm glad everything is ok

I will try this version for a week (o two) and I'll think about going to MIUI 8 or not

Thanks for all the help you gave to me, I really preciate it

Reactions: Adeolu