New Desire user, rooted with Unrevoked, S-ON present, can I install MIUI?

SkyDX

Members
Dec 23, 2010
Hello MIUI Developers community

Upon seeing the great MIUI ROM I just purchased a brand new Desire and need a little bit of help because all the searching still left me with a few a questions. First of all my phone info:

HTC Desire, bought today unlocked from a German T-Mobile store, shipped with Froyo 2.2

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-5.11.05.27
Aug 10 2010,17:52:18

I rooted with the Unrevoked method which was successfull, ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7 was successfully installed though it mentions:

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7
E:Can't find MISC:
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/command
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

Does this mean anything?

I noticed I still have S-ON which means my NAND security is still enabled and my goal is it to flash a MIUI ROM, am I good to go or not? MIUI is pretty much the main reason I went for a Desire and I really want it :)

Please be gentle, I'm new to all this, thanks in advance!

Sounds good to me but, I have a nexus so I'm not for sure.

Sent from my SexyNexy using the miui-dev.com Forums App

S-ON is fine for miui, you don't really need S-OFF unless your a developer (R/W access 'on the fly') or want to change the system/data partitions. Any rom should advise you on this in the opening post so flash away. Never had these errors on ClockworkMod so if anything untowards happens, let us know and I'm sure someone will put you right : -)

KYI

Sent from my HTC Desire using the miui-dev.com Forums App

it looks good, these errors shouldnt be a problem.
install MIUI, try that one from miui-au.com website (12.11 version- because it's really stable, whereas the newer version (12.17) was released little early and it's sort of unstable sometimes.).
remember to make A2SD+ partition on SD Card though.
I'd make 1gb partition, because first: I have one :D and second- I think it's the most reasonable size.
make 512 mb if you have sdcard smaller than 8gb though. :p

if you need help, let me know, but I think you shouldnt have any problem, you already rooted the device which is the hardest part, so you're good to go :D

Thank for the heads up guys, I really appreciate it :)

Just one thing, I found out I have a brand new Desire with Erasesize 40000, will MIUI still work?
This post on XDA makes me worry greatly: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853583

I worry greatly because the thread mentions: "Flashing custom ROMs fails, unable to recover besides RUU'ing these devices."

Before you get too anxious and do someting (possibly) rash, boot into clockwork mod if you can and go to backup and restore and make a nandroid. If anything does go wrong you at least have a fighting chance of getting your phone up and running. Android is hard to brick, no matter how bad it looks, but can at worst be tricky to get back up and running.

Sorry I can't as yet help more

KYI

Sent from my HTC Desire using the miui-dev.com Forums App

Thanks for the reply! The problem is I can't even backup anything because almost any option in clockwork gives me an error thanks to my NAND with erasesize 40000 :(

Sorry for the double post but little update, I reran unrEVOked with a new Clockwork version which works and made a Nandroid backup successfully though I'm still S-ON, is it possible to apply a backup with S-ON? If so, am I good to go to try a MIUI ROM now? I would also like to avoid flashing a new radio as I don't even know if it's possible and I have no german T-Mobile RUU to fall back to.

mine is S=ON aswell, and I am able to do anything I want. meaning I can do a backup, restore, change roms, and literally everything there is on clockworkmod recovery (v2.5.0.7)
so I'd just try it if I was you :)
jhust make sure you've got at least 500 mb free on an SD card.
it should go through if the unrevoked said it was alright..

Flashed eMIUI 0.12.18 today, works like a charm with the matching RIL, thanks chris :)

Good to hear you got everything working, the newer PVT-4 boards do need a different recovery to accommodate the erasersize from what I was reading on XDA. I wasn't sure if it was only recovery or recovery and ROM that needed modification.

J

I am getting the same errors as the OP, but I unfortunately cannot flash the rom, or any other rom for that matter. Any ideas?

For anyone that wants to if you would like yo get s-off try flashing unrevoked forever that is what I had to do on my evolution 4g

Sent from my PC36100 using the miui-dev.com Forums App