Newbie Question

Bhed

Members
Jul 13, 2013
Hi guys, i have just bought a xiaomi mi4 LTE.
When i went to check the version of it, it said 66.33.99.00.
Is this normal? How can i put an official or one of the last versions?

download the latest dev rom zip from xiaomi.eu
http://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/miui-weekly-rom-releases.103/
open Updater app on your device
disable the automatic updates if asked (works only with the official chinese version of MIUI )
press the Menu button (three dots in the upper right corner of the screen)Select installation ZIP file OR Select Update package OR Choose update package. Choose the ROM zip you want to flash
select Update now
reboot
enjoy! :)

Newbie question 2nd part: Sorry but if we want to flash a xiaomi.eu rom shouldn't we first install a custom recovery? Strange asking though because I saw a tutorial on youtube about how to flash a weekly eu.rom with stock mi recovery..
I'm waiting my first xiaomi device MI4 and I'm confused because I don't know how and what's the better way to move on and flash..I think the best method which solves also the two to one partitions (from KK to MM) issue is to flash the latest global dev/stable fastboot rom. What do you think do I have a chance or I'll mess it up?

install the fastboot rom, boot the phone skip the configuration and then use updater.app to install the xiaomi eu rom. on reboot enter the recovery and wipe all data cache etc... reboot setup your mi4, enjoy ;)

:) Thank you very much for this simple guideline but please correct me if I'm wrong because this is my first approach to miui :
the tutorial works with latest installed MM official global stable and/or dev fastboot rom
I can use xiaomi.eu stable or weekly to update via updater app
final step on reboot of xiaomi.eu enter the stock mi recovery and wipe data, cache, dalvik cache
if I want for any reason to go back to an official rom I must flash again the fastboot rom or I can use the updater app?
(this is I guess one of the disadvantages of keeping the stock recovery)
I don't understand the potential and the limits of the updater app..I didn't knew that it's possible to install also other "unofficial" roms such as the xiaomi.eu ..

the official fastboot rom flash is required to merge the kk system partitions once you've done that you can flash every recovery rom you like. to properly flash xiaomi.eu i think you must flash TWRP... i've manage to install the eu rom within the china rom updater app in the past, try the updater and if it failed install TWRP and install the eu rom with it. the full wipe is mandatory only if you switch from rom to rom, miui official to miui eu, miui eu to cyanogenmod, cm to miui etc...
with the updater app i have insalled xiaomi.eu roms with no errors with TWRP installed.
I prefer to use TWRP cause i flash rom/superuser/xposed/custom fonts and icons all at once.
if you want go back to global or china official roms i suggest you to use fastboot and of course a full wipe.

So the first thing to do is to flash the official global dev rom to merge partitions but also to get root privileges at once.
then I'll se how it goes I guess it's good to have the first approach to miui with an official rom for a couple of months how knows and then maybe with flashify app for root devices it will be also easier to flash a custom recovery ecc ..I'm very exited I can't wait the time to merge to miui!
oh one question please..when you say full wipe you mean that I must do it before flashing a new rom or after

no, flash the fastboot rom to merge the partitions.

you must flash supersu.zip or superuser.zip after every time you flash a miui rom or a rom without native root access.
first the rom, then the supersu/superuser.zip...
try to learn how to flash a recovery, or boot a recovery without flashing it on the phone, with fastboot, it's very easy and it's a failsafe if you softbrick the phone ;)

oh damn I must get it wrong I was almost sure that all the official developer roms are pre rooted..and the only thing to do is to download and install supersu from play store..I must study harder ;)

oh damn I must get it wrong I was almost sure that all the official developer roms are pre rooted..and the only thing to do is to download and install supersu from play store..I must study harder ;)
Yes, you still miss that you need now a custom recovery to do so.

When I flash via fastboot tool the latest Global Dev ROM (most to achieve the merge partitions from KK to MM) after that can I root my Mi4 from the updater app by using the appropriate file or could you suggest me a better/right method? please a step by step tutorial would be really appreciated!

When I flash via fastboot tool the latest Global Dev ROM (most to achieve the merge partitions from KK to MM) after that can I root my Mi4 from the updater app by using the appropriate file or could you suggest me a better/right method? please a step by step tutorial would be really appreciated!
No, you need to install TWRP and flash root from TWRP.
It is already well covered in this forum.

But with TWRP and Root installed do we get weekly OTA from official xiaomi dev rom?
I can answer this by myself ! :)
http://en.miui.com/thread-254954-1-1.html
no OTA, you need to download full rom, no alternative if you need root unless you can reroot with a PC as you pinted with your link:
stay with official recovery
fast boot boot twrp from PC without installing it, just use it to install superSU.zip

you will get OTA but will require the PC step to re root. Not sure OTA will apply exactely as you may edit system, may end in bootloop.

Reactions: Vasilis R.