Newbie user questions

Graham Robson

Members
Apr 25, 2012
Hi there. Just got my mi one plus. I have flashed to v2.4.20 GB version now as I live in China so it came with the other. I have a few questions. I tried a beta Android 4 firmware from the Xiaomi.bbs.com site which when installed has the Holo theme, so everything is black with the blue icons. That is quite buggy and resulted in random issues with the touch screen but I did like it. The only other issue was themes was completely disabled.

I notice that the MIUI version say 2.4 but mentions ICS etc so I am a little confused. Is MIUI Android 4 or not? I have noticed quite a few difference between the two aside from the theme the layout and style of the photos was better and you could stack apps as opposed to them turning into a folder.

Also on the subject of the MIUI version. Even though I have updated to 2.4.20 the system still shows up as being 2.4.18... Any idea why that would be? And lastly a question about themes. When I set a theme the system setting menus never change, nor does the phone dialler page. The only parts which change are the lock screen and the main screen like icons, wallpaper and fonts. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there an issue with this version of the firmware which stops themes from being fully set.

Thanks In Advance ;)

You might be booting into the partition with the older 2.4.18 installation.

MIUI V4 - the dev version is on ICS. The ICS beta predates MIUI v4. It was their first stab at porting ICS to the MIOne. This excercise I believe identified to the need to repartition the MIOne and update MiRecovery to 2.0. Shortly after that they started releasing the weekly Dev versions of MIUI v4 with ICS that Mark does his magic with. The monthly stable version of MIUI is still GB as far as I am aware. I have not used that ever since the MIOne was supported on MIUIANDROID so I can't be sure. I am also not sure to what extent Xiaomi if any have continued to develop the pure ICS version. It is possible someone on the Xiaomi forum is supporting it. I think I saw that someone got Windows XP running -
EDIT: In fact I did!!! see

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzQ4OTc4OTky.html

So I guess anything is possible. I am currently running 2.4.20 (Chinese version - don't ask!) this week and if definitely says 2.4.20 so maybe ORIN is right and you have booted to the wrong partition.

I don't need to ask why you are running the Chinese version. You have to be living there, like me, learning the language or you are Chinese.

Well I tried to flash it again seeing as I checked both partitions and they are both v18. Still shows up as v18 no matter which partition I flash but even though they both say 18 if you check before booting into one of the partitions it says partition 2 is the latest, dunno how it knows that as they both display the same version when booted but there ya go.

I guess I will wait a few days and try v27 when available and see if that makes any difference.

Another question, you say that the beta I tried was their first attempt at porting. How long ago was this because that was a fairly recent release at least according to the details on BBS.

Its just the build saying 2.4.18 instead of 2.4.20 they probably typed wrong number or released a build from 2.4.18. I asked the same question when it was released last week.

Not sure what you mean by BBS becuase i just think of the Bulletin Board System, i had my phone for maybe 2 months soon and think ics came maybe 2-3 months ago to xiaomi.

So if MIUI is a new build of Android 4, how come there is so much missing from it? Another way to say that would be how come there are so many significant differences with things you wouldn't expect to be changed? Or are they still working on it and some features are currently disabled?

Main things for me were really the ability to get rid of all that orange from the menus. Whenever I apply a theme it does not work. Only the main menu,wallpaper and lock screens are changed. If you go into any of the settings menus or the phone dialler they remain the stock MIUI orange which I personally dislike.
The folder display for photos is not as good as what I saw in vanilla either. In the vanilla version the photo icons were a little bigger and just looked and acted better than they seem to do in this one, no biggie at the end of the day though just wondered why there would be any significant difference between them.
Another difference was deleting an app from the the main screen on vanilla did not uninstall but simply removed it from the display. In MIUI it wants to delete the app. I quite liked the ability to remove an app without deleting as it just helped to keep the screens tidy :)

So if MIUI is a new build of Android 4, how come there is so much missing from it? Another way to say that would be how come there are so many significant differences with things you wouldn't expect to be changed? Or are they still working on it and some features are currently disabled?

Main things for me were really the ability to get rid of all that orange from the menus. Whenever I apply a theme it does not work. Only the main menu,wallpaper and lock screens are changed. If you go into any of the settings menus or the phone dialler they remain the stock MIUI orange which I personally dislike.
The folder display for photos is not as good as what I saw in vanilla either. In the vanilla version the photo icons were a little bigger and just looked and acted better than they seem to do in this one, no biggie at the end of the day though just wondered why there would be any significant difference between them.
Another difference was deleting an app from the the main screen on vanilla did not uninstall but simply removed it from the display. In MIUI it wants to delete the app. I quite liked the ability to remove an app without deleting as it just helped to keep the screens tidy :)

To keep ur screen tidy & behave the way you like (not uninstalling the app when u remove it from screen), you need to download a new launcher from market, probably something like go-launcher and use it as default. :)

Am I correct in assuming that it's not possible to run a GB rom on partition one and one ICS on the other partition?

I've updated to ICS (updated the system partition). I'm i stuck with ICS in this case or is it possible to downgrade to a GB rom (if I don't run a ICS rom at all)?

You can not mix GB and ICS only different GB versions or different ICS version.
Yes you can downgrade to GB if you want to

So if I have two ICS roms installed already and want to run GB I must downgrade (reinstall GB) both roms to GB? How do I manage to do this if I can't have one ICS and one GB at the same time?