Not receiving SMS verification, on the bootloader unlock process

Chapshan

Members
Sep 16, 2020
Hello to all,

I have an issue regarding unlocking a bootloader process of a phone I bought for a family member.
I have set the account on the new phone.
I allowed SMS syncing and allowed to find the phone.
Phone number is assigned to the account and SMS is activated on it.
Developer options is enabled on the phone and both 'OEM unlock' and 'USB debugging' is enabled in it.

When I try to unlock the phone using the mi_unlock tool, I need to connect to the account. When doing so, I get into a process in which I need to verify my account with SMS. I check that the phone number mentioned on this process is correct (and indeed, it is the correct phone number), and when I press the 'send' button, nothing happens. The SMS doesn't arrive to the phone.

I already tried the following:
1. switch sim-tray
2. using either the old phone and the new phone of my family member.
3. rebooting the phone after each change I made.

Nothing helped. SMS just don't arrive. And this is even harder when I have only 3 tries each day.

I have read on the web that people claim that they can receive SMS verification code via email and from looking at Xiaomi's help I see that a Whatsapp is also an option, but for some reason none of those options were available for me. I only get the option for SMS verification.

The thing that was more surprising for me, was that I took another phone from another family member, just to try receiving an SMS verification code for his account. I applied the exact same steps on his phone, and at the first try to get this SMS verification code, it simply arrived with no issue. So, my understanding is (if I did the exact same steps on both phones/accounts), that I'm probably not missing anything with my steps on the original account. Both phones, by the way, are using the exact same phone-provider, and actually sharing the same account at this phone-provider.

One thing that was bothering me (but I don't think it is related to the issue, as I managed receiving the SMS for the other account) is that I am using mi_unlock version 6.5.224.28, and it tells me that there's a newer version each time I open the app (7.6.727.43), but when I try to download it - it get into a page saying "Access to ultimateota.d.miui.com was denied".

Another thing probably worth mentioning, is that while seeking for a solution to my problem I saw here that there's a new method/process to get the phone unlocked for users outside Mainland China. I haven't got into the details of it and I understand I'll need to apply a request through that process before they will allow this phone to be unlocked, but my problem is prior this phase. I can't get to the phase in which I actually request to unlock the phone. The verification code blocks me from even starting the process of the unlock.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated :)

Hello to all,

I have an issue regarding unlocking a bootloader process of a phone I bought for a family member.
Developer options is enabled on the phone and both 'OEM unlock' and 'USB debugging' is enabled in it.

When I try to unlock the phone using the mi_unlock tool, I need to connect to the account. When doing so, I get into a process in which I need to verify my account with SMS. I check that the phone number mentioned on this process is correct (and indeed, it is the correct phone number), and when I press the 'send' button, nothing happens. The SMS doesn't arrive to the phone.

1. switch sim-tray

Nothing helped. SMS just don't arrive. And this is even harder when I have only 3 tries each day.

I have read on the web that people claim that they can receive SMS verification code via email and from looking at Xiaomi's help I see that a Whatsapp is also an option, but for some reason none of those options were available for me. I only get the option for SMS verification.

The thing that was more surprising for me, was that I took another phone from another family member, just to try receiving an SMS verification code for his account. I applied the exact same steps on his phone, and at the first try to get this SMS verification code, it simply arrived with no issue. So, my understanding is (if I did the exact same steps on both phones/accounts), that I'm probably not missing anything with my steps on the original account. Both phones, by the way, are using the exact same phone-provider, and actually sharing the same account at this phone-provider.

One thing that was bothering me (but I don't think it is related to the issue, as I managed receiving the SMS for the other account) is that I am using mi_unlock version 6.5.224.28, and it tells me that there's a newer version each time I open the app (7.6.727.43), but when I try to download it - it get into a page saying "Access to ultimateota.d.miui.com was denied".

Another thing probably worth mentioning, is that while seeking for a solution to my problem I saw here that there's a new method/process to get the phone unlocked for users outside Mainland China. I haven't got into the details of it and I understand I'll need to apply a request through that process before they will allow this phone to be unlocked, but my problem is prior this phase. I can't get to the phase in which I actually request to unlock the phone. The verification code blocks me from even starting the process of the unlock.

Xiaomi account must be entered directly without requesting an SMS. Your number is probably not associated with the account. Log into the account in the browser and add the number manually (if it doesn't actually exist)

Hello to all,

1. switch sim-tray

Try to use Xiaomi's own SMS app and not Google Messages or other apps. I also had the problem a few times that SMS notifications could not be received via Google, but only via the Mi Messages app.

Xiaomi account must be entered directly without requesting an SMS. Your number is probably not associated with the account. Log into the account in the browser and add the number manually (if it doesn't actually exist)
@PervizMikail - thanks, but the number is associated with the account for sure. Also, when in the phase that it tells me that it needs to send a verification code, it knows what number to send it (it displays the number, with few numbers hidden, saying that this number will be used for the SMS verification code). Can you share what mi_unlock version you are using that doesn't requires the verification code? Maybe worth trying...
Try to use Xiaomi's own SMS app and not Google Messages or other apps. I also had the problem a few times that SMS notifications could not be received via Google, but only via the Mi Messages app.
@Tony99, thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I tried it, but not 100% sure (actually, I know I tried it. but don't remember if this was with the old or new phone, or maybe even only on the other family member's phone). I'll try that when I'll have access to the phone again and report back.

@PervizMikail - thanks, but the number is associated with the account for sure. Also, when in the phase that it tells me that it needs to send a verification code, it knows what number to send it (it displays the number, with few numbers hidden, saying that this number will be used for the SMS verification code). Can you share what mi_unlock version you are using that doesn't requires the verification code? Maybe worth trying...

@Tony99, thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I tried it, but not 100% sure (actually, I know I tried it. but don't remember if this was with the old or new phone, or maybe even only on the other family member's phone). I'll try that when I'll have access to the phone again and report back.
The version I use is the Turkish version here.
When I log into my account, it does not ask for a password. Maybe there is double authentication and it is active

@PervizMikail , thanks. I have tried the link you have provided, but still I'm being asked to be authenticated via SMS:
02_25__02_39_14.091.png

I'm not aware of a double authentication feature which can be turned off :(

I have same a problem. I can not login with qr code, because I do not have this [-] icon top right for scan qr code.
IMG_20240226_192148.jpg

sorry to bump.
still experiencing the same issue.
does anyone knows how to make the SMS verification code to get to the phone?

Hi Chapshan, I am not sure if this will help. I had this issue before. I had posted on XDA my reply:

I had issues getting the OTP, I tried everything. Make sure your Wifi is off. For some reason making sure VoLTE is enabled, this seemed to ensure the OTP came through. It gave me headaches trying to get the code. I had also contacted Mi.com to see if the could help. These are the replies I received:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Hello, Greetings from Xiaomi Customer Support! This is Cora.
We at Xiaomi value your trust and we apologize for the inconvenience. Rest assured that we'll assist you on this. We would be grateful if you could share your country/region with us.
Based on your description, we would like to know what issues your account/device has encountered and need to receive a verification code. Please provide a detailed description of the problem encountered. Regarding the issue of not receiving the verification code, please check the following troubleshooting methods:
1. If the account has a bound email, please try using the email to receive the verification code.
2. Reset APNs Settings (Settings >> SIM cards & mobile networks >> click the corresponding Internet SIM card >> Access Point Names >> click "reset" at the bottom of screen), and select "net" to try the access point.
3. Check to see if the third-party security software is installed in the phone. If so, uninstall it and restart the phone.
We hope the above information can help you.

still can’t receive the verification code on another mobile phone, please check the following aspects:
1. Mobile phone terminal:
(1). Please check whether the mobile number is out of credit. If not, please reboot the mobile phone and check whether you can receive SMS from other phones;
(2). Please confirm whether the SMS has been blocked: If the system is equipped with harassment interception and third-party security software to intercept SMS messages, please set a white list or release. Also, please check your SMS blacklist on the mobile phone.
2. Provider/carrier terminal: Some cellular network may take this SMS as a spam and attempt to block it. Please check with your SIM card carrier to see if they are blocking it. This can be very troublesome as you will have to call or visit your carrier but it could really be the issue.
3. User terminal:
(1). Incorrect "region" set for mobile phone number: Please double-check that the correct country/region is selected in front of the phone number entry box.
(2). If the number of times you entered incorrect verification codes has reached the limit, you have to wait 3 to 24 hours and try again.
4. Mi account terminal:
(1). Check whether the current phone number is the same as the one you used to register the Mi account: Please check the activation interface on the mobile phone and confirm whether the Mi account ID is associated with the mobile number/email that you are using;
(2). Please confirm whether this Mi account is associated with a certain App, such as Facebook, Twitter or Google account. If so, please check which mobile number is associated with the third-party App;
If you have confirmed that the local provider/carrier doesn’t block such SMS, please contact us.

I have the same problem, I do not receive the SMS to log in, I tried other accounts/numbers and I do not receive the SMS codes either. I am from peru.
I have been opening the bootloader of my Xiaomi devices for years without problems.