Notification Bar Suggestion

genesis123

Members
Nov 27, 2010
On the newer miui builds, the notification bar is divided into two pull down zones: the left opens notifications and the right opens controls. Though I like the division or tabs of the notification menu, using a larger screen phone such as the evo or hd2, I have found it difficult (requires more of a stretch) to pull down from the top left as I am right handed.

My suggestion is for a "smart" notification bar that by default opens up the controls. However, whenever a notification is received, for example: a email or text message, the notification bar will always go to the notification page.

So, whenever I have a notification, it will automatically pull down to the notifications, if not, the controls.

Your suggestion is better served at the original developer's website in China, www.miui.com.

In any case, remember that this ROM is designed primarily for a Chinese user base and everyone outside of China is secondary, so the chances of your suggestion being implemented are rather low.

Am I the only one that wants the old pull down bar back? It was so convienient having the controls on the bottom of the bar.

Am I the only one that wants the old pull down bar back? It was so convienient having the controls on the bottom of the bar.

I agree with you on that, wholeheartedly. A lot of people seem to like the new way better for some reason. The old way just makes more sense to me, and it looks better than a wall of toggles. In fact, when I first heard about HTC using the tab concept for GingerSense (I forget where, exactly, but it was coverage of either MWC, CES, or CTIA), my first thought was that it was a complete fail and that they should just copy MIUI. Then, MIUI went and copied HTC, and I was a little bummed.

However, I also agree with the OP if we must keep the new style. I actually suggested it to MarkHUK on IRC the first time I used the new style notifications, and he agreed. I'm not sure if his opinion has changed since then, but I still think that the "smart notifications", as you call them, would be much more intuitive than having to pull from a certain area of the status bar. Isn't MIUI all about an intuitive UI?

Love the #1 idea really, i always pull down control bar and i almost never want it :(

+1 on this. But I think most importantly is bringing everything up before putting more enhancement to the way it works.

Your suggestion is better served at the original developer's website in China, www.miui.com.

In any case, remember that this ROM is designed primarily for a Chinese user base and everyone outside of China is secondary, so the chances of your suggestion being implemented are rather low.

I knew that however since I don't know Chinese, I'd rather not spam their board with Google translate. I was hoping that if enough users here would agree then mark, the administrator, could suggest it straight to the developers as he his a beta tester.

I love the OP idea. On a side note, did anyone from the US manage to register to miui.com?
I keep getting this error
"Your request origin authentication string is incorrect or does not match the form can not be submitted."

I love the OP idea. On a side note, did anyone from the US manage to register to miui.com?
I keep getting this error
"Your request origin authentication string is incorrect or does not match the form can not be submitted."

I registered fine. So has Stiffspliff, and I'm pretty sure others have, as well. If you're trying to fill out the form on an untranslated page, translate the page with Google, but make sure you specify Chinese (Traditional Han), otherwise Google tries to use simplified han, and it won't translate.

Other than that, just make sure your password matches.

My only real gripe is that since I hold my phone with my right hand, it's far easier to open up the notification panel with my right thumb. However, that means that I'm always opening up the toggles, when I usually mean to open up the notifications. I wish they could be switched around.

Also, it would be nice if pulling down on the middle would open up the Apps panel.

But these aren't really big issues, just things I thought I'd mention.