Play Store App "No Connection Retry"

Geoff Hill

Members
Jul 6, 2012
Hi folks, I've got a problem with “Google Play” app. When I start I get the message “no connection – retry”. Now a lot of people seem to get this problem with varying success in curing it. This is what I've done so far. Cleared the Cache; cleared data; rebooted; checked the time and date. The factory rest idea is a last resort as I've come a long way from the early days of “fast-boot, mi-flash and millet phone”. Any ideas this must be something very simple and obvious but not to me lol, or on the other hand not so simple. This app worked for awhile when I was in China but then stopped. When I returned to the UK in Early October it started working, now it's gone again since November 12th.

The phone:- Xiaomi MI-ONE C1 running MIUI 3-11-22. You Tube works fine and no problem logging in. Gmail no problem either and I can get on the play store on my pc no problem either.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Best regards

Geoff

I reinstalled gapps and it's working fine now.

Hi P-John, now that's something I havn't done so I gave it a try. Unpacking the apps then installing "Playsky" app. The first thing is that the above problem has gone as you said but now the app crashes all the time and the fault "server error - Retry" comes up. I notice that the app is version 3.9.16 and my version is 4.0.25 so it seems we have gone back in time and that it's not compatable with Miui v 3-11-22. The obvious thing to me that I've done something wrong, any ideas please.

I'm not a professional user, just trying and error. Before 3.10.sth I didn't have any problem but now
Every time I upgrade MIUI I have this problem. So after upgrading, following the steps for upgrading, I also reinstall gapps. If I don't, google play can't get connected and some other google apps crash. There are some other apps that crash as well.
Try cleaning cach and dalvik cach and reinstall gapps. I believe during the installation it changes something that fixes the problem. Sorry I'm not a great help here.

I'm not a professional user, just trying and error. Before 3.10.sth I didn't have any problem but now
Every time I upgrade MIUI I have this problem. So after upgrading, following the steps for upgrading, I also reinstall gapps. If I don't, google play can't get connected and some other google apps crash. There are some other apps that crash as well.
Try cleaning cach and dalvik cach and reinstall gapps. I believe during the installation it changes something that fixes the problem. Sorry I'm not a great help here.
First off you've tried and replied so there is no sorry, thanks.
How do you install the apps, me I just unpacked the Zip file and found the Play Store app and installed just that am i right or is there a correct method to do this.

Hi.For me,reinstalling gapps fixed problem.Just go to updater,select installation file and select gapps.zip.

Sent from my MI 1S using Tapatalk

Now I get what the problem is. You were doing wrong.
Copy gapps zip file to the root of your SD card.
Boot into recovery.
Clear the cach and dalvik cach.
Now choose the option as 'install zip from SD card'.

Now I'm a bit confused (not hard) lol. I've downloaded a file called "miuiandroid_gapps-4.1.2-small_signed.zip". First off is this the correct one, then do I manually have to change the name to something else. Do I then install from the updater app or in recovery mode. From what I remember in there, there is only "Install update.zip to system One". If by chance the latest update is in system two then the file gets loaded to the wrong partition. As I said not hard to confuse me, take care

I don't know about your MIUI version. The choice of gapps 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 depends on your MIUI version. It's said there that if you installed a MIUI version which had 4.2 in its zip filename then you should use gapps 4.2 and so on.
  • Gapps 4.1.x : HERE - Only for roms with 4.1 in file name.
  • Gapps 4.2.x : HERE - Only for roms with 4.2 in file name.

You don't need to rename it at all.
My phone is a Htc desire S. Updater app doesn't work on my device so I use clockworkmod recovery version 4.0.1.4.
In the recovery menu the 5th option is 'install zip from sdcard'.
By selecting this one you enter another menu which first choice is 'choose zip from sdcard'. Select it.
In the next menu you see a list of your SD card content. If there are folders there you have to go down to the bottom of the list and there you can see the gapps zip file that you already copied there. Select it and follow the steps. It won't take a few seconds for recovery to install it. That's it.

Now it's becoming a bit clearer. I only have four option in my recovery so it looks like i need to install clockworkmod first and work from there. I've seen a lot of posts mentioning this app but never thought nothing of it until now. I only use the updater app to install new versions of Miui which works just fine and Gapps were included in Xiaomi devices until very recently. Right then where do we get clockworkmod then? Sounds as plain as day with the right software lol, take care

Hi.you dont have to install anything,just take correct gapps from here:
en.miui.com/thread-2840-7-1.html
Then start updater (just like doing update),hit menu,choose select installation file and choose downloaded gapps.zip

Sent from my MI 1S using Tapatalk

Well I followed the link and in the end I get the message "Attachment does not exist or cannot be read, please contact administrator" pops up. I've been browsing and found this link from "ingbrzy" http://en.miui.com/thread-3998-1-1.html which gives you a google installer. That, I've put on the phone and all th google apps are there including the play store. Now the bad bit I need wlan to download as I've checked a box somewhere but do you think I can find where, not a hope, so I'm going through all my settings until I find it lol. Take care

Last edited:
You may already know this but you shouldn't extract the zip file to use it's content.
Just to be clear, you can download the gapps zip file from the relevant links below, these are the links from the MIUI ROM download page. So these are recommended. (You can find them in this page as well, http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/3-11-22.22856/)

Install the zip file using the Updater app. it should work then.

You may already know this but you shouldn't extract the zip file to use it's content.
Just to be clear, you can download the gapps zip file from the relevant links below, these are the links from the MIUI ROM download page. So these are recommended. (You can find them in this page as well, http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/3-11-22.22856/)

Install the zip file using the Updater app. it should work then.
Hi mate. Well I tried that and the system spat it out. I think that these links are for non Xiaomi phones, at least they used to be untill a couple of weeks ago. Xiaomi phones had the gapps built in to the update file but I think that's not the case now. The file for the Mi-One is called "Update.zip" with no numbers and when I try to install the gapps file it tells me "System Update Failed. Download full rom package is recomended". I think Toni.stan was on the right track but the link to that particular file is dead so I guess some more investigation is required. The above links work for you because you use a non Xiaomi phone (HTC) which would tie in with how things used to work. The link for the google updater is on my phone and I intend to try that this pm when I go to my sons house (he has wi-fy) and I can't find the setting to turn off downloading of apps by wi-fi only (not mobile network) I know it's there somewhere as I remember turning it on when I was with O2 but I have 1Gb now with Three so I could of done it ok. Thanks to you and Toni.stan for all your help it is much appreciated.

Success! I used the Google installer app and tried to download google play, it tells me I should also download Google Services Framework and Google Account Manager, but before doing anything I backed up the phone and then deleted the Google Play app that was on the phone. Download and install all went not so good. The error then became “can't find Google servers”, so I rebooted the phone, retried and all was well, I now have a working Google Play. This could be another this worked for me but work it did.

Now the credits. Thanks to P-John, Toni-stan, XiaomiLover and ingbrzy for the link to Google Installer (http://en.miui.com/thread-3998-1-1.html). Your suggestions helped me to continue on and find a cure and the link is spot on.

I posted this (I thought) on Saturday but when I looked today it wasn't there. Most probably didn't press the post button lol.