Please Can Someone Help Me Upgrade Mi Note From 4.4 To Marshamallow?

Sere83

Members
Mar 20, 2012
Hello,

I am having a bit of a nightmare here.

I want to upgrade from Kitkatt based 5.12.11 weekly rom to marshmallow 6.0 rom on my regular Mi note. I understand that to upgrade you need to...

Install: 5.12.17
Install: TWRP
Install: Android 6 rom

This is fine but I have no idea of the process of how to do this since the process has completely changed since the last time I manually updated a rom. I have never installed TWRP on any mi phone and always just used updater app or mi recovery in the past.

Can someone please direct me to a step by step guide? I need a proper detailed step by step guide not just little bits of information. I do not want to brick my phone. The only threads I have found that mention this do not give proper guidance.

I have run a load of searches in this forum for this and I still cannot find the information I need on how to do it.

Please can someone help? I would be hugely grateful

TWRP is not necessary to update your phone to the new partition layout. You can use the updater app. (Which is the official way).
The way I have updated my Mi 4 to the new partition layout needed for the marshmallow upgrade goes like this-
-Downloaded the 5.12.17 Rom, necessary for the new partition layout.
-Turned on USB debugging from settings> additional settings>developer options.
-Then went to updater app and clicked menu>choose update> selected the 5.12.17 Rom.
-In my case, it updated to the 5.12.17 Rom without updating my partition layout. Use "disk info" app to check your system partition. It should be 1.2 GB. (If the flashing succeeded.)
-But as it didn't work for me the first time. I went to the updater app and chose the same update package again.(With again USB debugging turned on.) This time it booted straight in to recovery from the updater app and flashed the Rom from there. After rebooting itself back, I had the new partition layout.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

TWRP is not necessary to update your phone to the new partition layout. You can use the updater app. (Which is the official way).
The way I have updated my Mi 4 to the new partition layout needed for the marshmallow upgrade goes like this-
-Downloaded the 5.12.17 Rom, necessary for the new partition layout.
-Turned on USB debugging from settings> additional settings>developer options.
-Then went to updater app and clicked menu>choose update> selected the 5.12.17 Rom.
-In my case, it updated to the 5.12.17 Rom without updating my partition layout. Use "disk info" app to check your system partition. It should be 1.2 GB. (If the flashing succeeded.)
-But as it didn't work for me the first time. I went to the updater app and chose the same update package again.(With again USB debugging turned on.) This time it booted straight in to recovery from the updater app and flashed the Rom from there. After rebooting itself back, I had the new partition layout.

Thanks man. But after flashing 5.12.1.17 do you then just flash the latest android 6.0 rom through updater app after using same method ? Or do you then need to install TWRP? Is system wipe necessary as well? Also do these roms need to be renamed to update.zip first?

Last edited:
Thanks man. But after flashing 5.12.1.17 do you then just flash the latest android 6.0 rom through updater app after using same method ? Or do you then need to install TWRP? Also do these roms need to be renamed to update.zip first?
One question though, from where have you downloaded the 5.12.17 Rom? Is it the official one or the Xiaomi.eu multi Rom variant? If it's the latter, then I think you may need TWRP to flash the 5.12.17 Rom.
If it's the former, then you don't have to rename the package to update.zip. Just go to the updater app and select the Rom. That's all.
And to update to 6.0.1 Rom, it depends. If you want to update to the Xiaomi.eu multi Rom variant, then you'll need TWRP to do that. But for the official miui Roms, you can update from the updater app.

One question though, from where have you downloaded the 5.12.17 Rom? Is it the official one or the Xiaomi.eu multi Rom variant? If it's the latter, then I think you may need TWRP to flash the 5.12.17 Rom.
If it's the former, then you don't have to rename the package to update.zip. Just go to the updater app and select the Rom. That's all.
And to update to 6.0.1 Rom, it depends. If you want to update to the Xiaomi.eu multi Rom variant, then you'll need TWRP to do that. But for the official miui Roms, you can update from the updater app.

Thanks. I am currently running 5.12.11 xiaomi.eu rom. I dont really mind which 5.12.17 rom i use as they are basically the same anyway as I am an English user and I do not need multilang.

Which is easiest to flash over my current rom? Can i flash official 5.12.17 over my xiaomi .eu rom? Is a full system wipe necessary?

Then how to do I get to android 6 rom?

>Yeah. You will be able to flash it over the Multi Rom.
> The easiest method would be to directly flash the latest marshmallow stable/developer fastboot Rom through Mi Flash. If you're familiar with Mi Flash tool, then this is the easiest way. You won't need to flash the 5.12.17 Rom and still be on the latest release.
> If you're not familiar with Mi Flash tool, then flashing the 5.12.17 by the procedure I mentioned to get the partition layout and then flashing the latest marshmallow Rom through the updater app is easier, as you seem not to be familiar with TWRP recovery.
>Though if you want to continue to use Multi Rom, TWRP will become a must anyway. So if you go through the difficulties of flashing the TWRP recovery. Then that will become the easiest. Also, a custom recovery will help you in many ways. So I'd recommend to flash the TWRP recovery after flashing the the 5.12.17 Rom.
>A system wipe is not compulsory but is recommended so that you don't run into any errors. Also don't forget to backup all your data(even internal storage) just in case.

Last edited:
>Yeah. You will be able to flash it over the Multi Rom.
> The easiest method would be to directly flash the latest marshmallow stable/developer fastboot Rom through Mi Flash. If you're familiar with Mi Flash tool, then this is the easiest way. You won't need to flash the 5.12.17 Rom and still be on the latest release.
> If you're not familiar with Mi Flash tool, then flashing the 5.12.17 by the procedure I mentioned to get the partition layout and then flashing the latest marshmallow Rom through the updater app is easier, as you seem not to be familiar with TWRP recovery.
>Though if you want to continue to use Multi Rom, TWRP will become a must anyway. So if you go through the difficulties of flashing the TWRP recovery. Then that will become the easiest. Also, a custom recovery will help you in many ways. So I'd recommend to flash the TWRP recovery after flashing the the 5.12.17 Rom.
>A system wipe is not compulsory but is recommended so that you don't run into any errors. Also don't forget to backup all your data(even internal storage) just in case.

Ahh sweet. Many thanks.

So just to clarify......

I can flash an official xiaomi global stable/developer rom (not Xiaomi.eu rom) over current xiaomi.eu rom through updater app. Then must flash 5.12.17 (official) through updater app, make sure it has repartitioned properly then flash official 6.0 rom through updater app right?

Or

I can use Mi flash tool to directly flash latest official 6.0 Stable/Developer roms (not Xiaomi.eu rom), I presume following this process...

http://xiaomiadvices.com/miui-7-flash-fastboot-rom-on-xiaomi-phones-using-mi-flash-tool/

Or

I can flash official 5.12.17 (Not xiaomi.eu rom) using updater app then install TWRP using this process...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then I can flash Xiaomi.eu latest developer 6.0 build through TWRP.

To be honest I don't need weekly rom updates just something stable on 6.0. If I Flash Official Rom will OTA Work? Or If I flash Xiaomi.eu rom will OTA work?

> You don't have to flash an official Rom before updating to 5.12.17 Rom. Flashing the 5.12.17 Rom over your current multi Rom will be fine.
> Yeah. But do note that fastboot flashing the Rom may erase your user data plus internal storage depending on the bat file you choose. So again, remember to backup your data through Mi Backup and also your internal storage as well.
> Yeah the process mentioned in the video will work just fine to flash TWRP. But for this method, you will need root permission enabled.
> You'll get Ota's on both the Multi Rom and the official miui Rom. If you vouch for the developer official marshmallow Rom, you will get Ota's weekly. But on stable, the Ota's will have much more delay.

> You don't have to flash an official Rom before updating to 5.12.17 Rom. Flashing the 5.12.17 Rom over your current multi Rom will be fine.
> Yeah. But do note that fastboot flashing the Rom may erase your user data plus internal storage depending on the bat file you choose. So again, remember to backup your data through Mi Backup and also your internal storage as well.
> Yeah the process mentioned in the video will work just fine to flash TWRP. But for this method, you will need root permission enabled.
> You'll get Ota's on both the Multi Rom and the official miui Rom. If you vouch for the developer official marshmallow Rom, you will get Ota's weekly. But on stable, the Ota's will have much more delay.

Many thanks for all your help man, much appreciated . I upgraded to official global weekly 6.0 rom using fastboot. Everything seems to be working sweet now. I don't use my mi note as my main phone anyway but just wanted to be running a 6.0 based rom so I could keep getting updates.

Many thanks for all your help man, much appreciated . I upgraded to official global weekly 6.0 rom using fastboot. Everything seems to be working sweet now. I don't use my mi note as my main phone anyway but just wanted to be running a 6.0 based rom so I could keep getting updates.
Glad I could help. ^^