Poco F5 ROM on Redmi Note 12 Turbo: Problems making/receiving calls

shiaumee

Members
Oct 16, 2024
Hi, my wife and I each have a Redmi Note 12 Turbo. For those who don't know, it ships with a Chinese ROM but the hardware is said to be almost identical to the Poco F5.

On each phone, I unlocked the bootloader and flashed the official Poco F5 Global ROM, version 14.0.8.0.TMRMIXM. Everything works fine, except that each phone has the known problem where the phone is often unable to make calls. It says "Mobile network not available", and often the cellular signal goes to zero bars for a few seconds before coming back to normal strength. It also often struggles to receive calls; it doesn't ring at all or rings only for a second and then drops. And USSD requests, such as airtime balance enquiries, often don't work. I am in South Africa on the Cell C network. My wife has two SIM cards, one for Cell C and one for Telkom, and we get the problem with all the networks/SIM cards.

I've tried doing some reading on xiaomi.eu, XDA Forums, and 4pda.to. Some people say that the problem is solved by flashing just the modem part (modem.img) from the Chinese ROM, while others say it doesn't work. Some say that a xiaomi.eu ROM or other custom ROM solves the problem, while others say it doesn't. And there are also other ideas proposed. I haven't been able to come to a good conclusion.

Is there a reliable solution for this problem of making and receiving calls on a Redmi Note 12 Turbo which has been flashed with a Poco F5 ROM? Many thanks for any help anyone can provide...