Poor call quality

Zyzz

Members
Feb 14, 2013
I've been using my Mi2 for more than a month and I just cannot get used to the relatively poor call quality of the phone.

The problems:

The noise suppression issue is already known for a while (see middle of the review):
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/14/xiaomi-phone-2-mi-two-review/
It means if you are in a noisy surrounding, then Mi2's noise suppression is much less effective than other that of an other phone, your voice will be very low, so that other side can sometimes hardly hear you and on my side I can hardly hear my partner (even if volume on my phone is set to the highest)

For me it is even more embarassing, that even if I am making calls from a quiet room, the call quality falls behind my old Samsung feature phone. On the Mi2 my voice is much duller, quieter, less crisp (similar to the slightly artificial voice that you can hear through skype when connection is not perfect) according to the called person. Also on my side the difference was quite audible: my old feature phone gave crisper voice, hardly any background noice - in the same situation I could hear higher backround noise and duller, quieter voice on Mi2.
I tested this by switching SIM card between my phones calling the same person who was also at home, so normally I should not have heard a big difference.

In my case this high end phone cannot match the voice quality standards of a 4years old feature phone.

Do others have similar experiences? Are these general problems to Mi2?
Is there any cure for that (software tweaking)? Or is it a hardware related issue?
What do you suggest?

i have the same problem, most of the time people telling me that they barely hear me

Similar issues here (speech was trasmitted incoherently, low volume) , with miuiandroid 3.3.29 I had to flash radio/baseband from 3.2.8 to improve call quality.

Yes I agree about this. In general I find that Samsung has the best phone call quality among the manufacturers.

It is not about that specifically Samsung is better - I have used several simple feature phones before (different manufacturers) and the call quality (which is a very basic function) is far worse with my Mi2 than with any other phone before.
But this post is not about complaining.

I would reformulate my question:
is there anyone here, who does NOT have these symptoms with his/her Mi2?
What ROM / settings are you using then? Or on what else can it depend on?
Hope it is not a hardware issue that affects only certain production series...

Seriously i'm not facing this issue both ends hear perfectly(may be great compared to my old SE Neo V)..in Skype also other person hear perfectly without too much background noises..I'm from India and i'm using WIUI 3.3.22 rom,so i don't think its a hardware issue may be related to baseband and network operators..!

Thanks for your reply, good to hear your positive experiences.
Baseband/network operator cannot be a reason for audio quality because in the same situation my old phone produced perfectly sounding calls.

Thanks for your reply, good to hear your positive experiences.
Baseband/network operator cannot be a reason for audio quality because in the same situation my old phone produced perfectly sounding calls.

Try to flash baseband from 3.2.8...

Right now I am using WIUI 3.2.8. I am thinking of upgrading to V5.
How could flash only the baseband from a ROM (which file should I copy+update on my phone?)

Thanks for the link, I will try that later probably. As I wrote, I am using 3.2.8 anyway (which is also suggested by the thread above) - so that cannot be the only problem.

Today's miuiandroid 3.4.5 rom eliminated all the call audio issues for me. Combined with the fixed bugs in FM radio I find this the best release so far.

Reactions: afterburner
Hello,

Zyzz, did you fix your problem?
I have the same problem, I've read all the threads talking about this but I can't fix it but using earphone!

Hi Vince, in the meantime I sold my Mi2 and I bought an Mi2S using WIUI 3.5.17. Most of the call quality problems are gone - I think it is due to the newer ROM (as someone wrote above as well).
Only a smaller issue happens sometimes: kind of bubbling noise at the and of my sentences (as if I was talking from underwater). Other than that the call quality is now clear and good.

Hi Vince, in the meantime I sold my Mi2 and I bought an Mi2S using WIUI 3.5.17. Most of the call quality problems are gone - I think it is due to the newer ROM (as someone wrote above as well).
Only a smaller issue happens sometimes: kind of bubbling noise at the and of my sentences (as if I was talking from underwater). Other than that the call quality is now clear and good.

Well I bought my mi MİX 2 3 weeks ego.
I search at google very deep about this problem and everybody have the same experience. ( some people not )
You report this at 2013 and now 2018 after 5 years still the same story.
What kind of manufacturing is that? How they sell these expensive phones with these bugs to people for 5 years?
Cant believe myself I bought mix2 just for friend suggestion without any research at google.