Privacy concern

Echo2124

Members
Jan 1, 2020
Considering this rom is xiaomi.eu suggesting European. Does these roms follow EU privacy laws. I love MIUI in general, it looks great and it has some helpful features. The only issue is that I am concerned about my privacy and the sort of data that could be sent to third parties.

You are asking a tough question. While most of the team is from different parts of Europe, I am not, for example, and even those who are from Europe, don't memorize privacy laws, we are not lawyers.
If your question was "do you prioritize privacy or freedom?", I'd say "freedom". More features, less restrictions. We also minimize the amount of stats/analytics collected by some of the system apps, but we can't keep track of them all.

You are asking a tough question. While most of the team is from different parts of Europe, I am not, for example, and even those who are from Europe, don't memorize privacy laws, we are not lawyers.
If your question was "do you prioritize privacy or freedom?", I'd say "freedom". More features, less restrictions. We also minimize the amount of stats/analytics collected by some of the system apps, but we can't keep track of them all.
Personally I am not from Europe either, I'm from Australia, so I guess the privacy laws are different everywhere. I'm just talking about the EU privacy laws, as it seems like it would relate to xiaomi.eu. Anyways, thank you for your reply. You've cleared up a lot of my concerns surrounding the project and its fundamental goals of reducing restrictions and attempting to minimise analytics collected from system apps.

If you are concerned about privacy you can better take no Android phone with Play services at all. For privacy it's better to take a Google Pixel and install GrapheneOS.

If you are concerned about privacy you can better take no Android phone with Play services at all. For privacy it's better to take a Google Pixel and install GrapheneOS.
I understand your pov entirely. However, on a personal level, I am more concerned about Xiaomi's supposed links to the Chinese military, and as a result my data privacy. Western companies such as Google must comply with western legislation concerning privacy protection which is often stricter than the Chinese counterparts. This is not to say that Google respects your privacy, as its pretty clear that if you're an extremely privacy conscious person you'd want to say away from them as well. I guess at the end of the day, that's the issue with using products from a company whose headquarters is based in China. With all that aside, I am still planning to continue to use MIUI as I believe that the convenience of the UI outweighs the risks privacy wise.