Problems enabling encryption on Xiaomi.EU ROM

Gandhi70

Members
Jul 3, 2017
During the last days I tried to enable encryption on my Mi Mix 2 without success.
I tried the following:

- boot to TWRP
- format data
- install latest Xiaomi.EU ROM
- flash forceencrypt.zip (https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4732092&d=1553709437)
- reboot to system

Result: No encryption. Enabling encryption in Miui options results in unbootable phone.

Then I tried to edit the fstab.qcom file under /system/vendor/etc. Here I failed, because I was not able to replace the original file with the TWRP file manager. Somehow, the system partition stayed read only.

Can someone here lend me a hand and tell me what I did wrong?

LOLO9393

Members
Feb 8, 2016
During the last days I tried to enable encryption on my Mi Mix 2 without success.
I tried the following:

- boot to TWRP
- format data
- install latest Xiaomi.EU ROM
- flash forceencrypt.zip (https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4732092&d=1553709437)
- reboot to system

Result: No encryption. Enabling encryption in Miui options results in unbootable phone.

Then I tried to edit the fstab.qcom file under /system/vendor/etc. Here I failed, because I was not able to replace the original file with the TWRP file manager. Somehow, the system partition stayed read only.

Can someone here lend me a hand and tell me what I did wrong?
Put the modified fstab in SDcard folder and in TWRP you select it and copy to vendor/etc folder. Easy!
Don't forget to MOUNT system and vendor partition before!
reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclipse1991

Eclipse1991

Members
Aug 12, 2018
Could someone post his modified fstab file or tell me what exactly do put into the fstab file ?

Gesendet von meinem MI 8 mit Tapatalk

LOLO9393

Members
Feb 8, 2016
Could someone post his modified fstab file or tell me what exactly do put into the fstab file ?

You should keep your own fstab in order to avoid possible disorder.
Just by changing "encryptable=ice" to "fileencryption=ice" in a simple text editor does the job.
Then reinject the file into vendor/etc.

Reactions: Eclipse1991

Eclipse1991

Members
Aug 12, 2018
You should keep your own fstab in order to avoid possible disorder.
Just by changing "encryptable=ice" to "fileencryption=ice" in a simple text editor does the job.
Then reinject the file into vendor/etc.
After recplacing that file, the system automatically encrypts by booting ?

Eclipse1991

Members
Aug 12, 2018
But first I need to create a password somewhere , in a setting or somewhere.

LOLO9393

Members
Feb 8, 2016
But first I need to create a password somewhere , in a setting or somewhere.

No special PW creation, It will be the phone pin password ( pin you defined before finger print setup) or nothing if you don't set it. (Tested myself)
If you are with EU rom you just have to modify fstab as said and replace it via TWRP. At boot it should encrypt directly if no issue with TWRP you are using. (I don't know because I don't have this phone model)
Next time you will go using fcencript.zip given in XDA link in earlier post.

Eclipse1991

Members
Aug 12, 2018
No special PW creation, It will be the phone pin password ( pin you defined before finger print setup) or nothing if you don't set it. (Tested myself)
If you are with EU rom you just have to modify fstab as said and replace it via TWRP. At boot it should encrypt directly if no issue with TWRP you are using. (I don't know because I don't have this phone model)
Next time you will go using fcencript.zip given in XDA link in earlier post.
And when exactly do I have to flash that file ? I guess I need to mount vendor then to make it work ?

LOLO9393

Members
Feb 8, 2016
And when exactly do I have to flash that file ? I guess I need to mount vendor then to make it work ?

Fcencrypt.zip is to be flashed via twrp every time you update the rom. You just add the zip file before reboot (vendor is mounted in process.
You may mount vendor if you make fstab hand modification.
fstab can be aslo pulled via ADB if you like.