question about updating rom + sms positioning issue + recovery email issue

Aug 24, 2021
I live in Thailand.
I ordered a new Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra. They are unavailable in Thailand for whatever reason but I found a shop that orders them from China and loads the Global Rom.
So I got that and on the first night spent about 6hrs learning and flashing the Eu rom onto it and the TWRP thing.
So it's all peachy and working nicely but there's a few things I am unsure of particularly regarding updates.
I flashed the latest stable eu rom a few days ago. This was from the link on the rom page of this website. I thought I read somewhere that these roms can only be updated by downloading the next stable rom release and flashing it again. Basically repeating the process but without a format?
I am a bit confused as the phone has a button to "check for updates". Can I just use that in phone option to update?
Otherwise do I download the next stable release of eu rom. Save in phone storage. Boot to twrp and load it in with no backups or wiping/formatting. Is this correct?

Seperately I also have a persistent problem of "couldn't activate SMS positioning using sim1". I have the wifi off and data and roaming on. I am wondering if it could be because the sim card number is "not set" in sim settings?

The other thing is trying to add a recovery email for my Mi account in the phone. It asks for my number to verify which I do. Next it asks to add an email. When I add my email it says "you've requested to many verification emails. Make sure the verification email isn't in your inboxs spam folder".
The first time I did it I got the email and clicked on it immedietely and it said it was expired. Less than 1 minute later. I recently lost access to my google account so i can see the importance of recovery options and want to set it up but I can't see a solution. Just xiaomi have any customer support services? Or anyone know a fix? I have tried 2 diffferent email addresses. Both with same issue.

Thanks

I live in Thailand.
I ordered a new Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra. They are unavailable in Thailand for whatever reason but I found a shop that orders them from China and loads the Global Rom.
So I got that and on the first night spent about 6hrs learning and flashing the Eu rom onto it and the TWRP thing.
So it's all peachy and working nicely but there's a few things I am unsure of particularly regarding updates.
I flashed the latest stable eu rom a few days ago. This was from the link on the rom page of this website. I thought I read somewhere that these roms can only be updated by downloading the next stable rom release and flashing it again. Basically repeating the process but without a format?
I am a bit confused as the phone has a button to "check for updates". Can I just use that in phone option to update?
Otherwise do I download the next stable release of eu rom. Save in phone storage. Boot to twrp and load it in with no backups or wiping/formatting. Is this correct?

Seperately I also have a persistent problem of "couldn't activate SMS positioning using sim1". I have the wifi off and data and roaming on. I am wondering if it could be because the sim card number is "not set" in sim settings?

The other thing is trying to add a recovery email for my Mi account in the phone. It asks for my number to verify which I do. Next it asks to add an email. When I add my email it says "you've requested to many verification emails. Make sure the verification email isn't in your inboxs spam folder".
The first time I did it I got the email and clicked on it immedietely and it said it was expired. Less than 1 minute later. I recently lost access to my google account so i can see the importance of recovery options and want to set it up but I can't see a solution. Just xiaomi have any customer support services? Or anyone know a fix? I have tried 2 diffferent email addresses. Both with same issue.

Thanks
Hi
All your problems are from what you said in your second sentence end.
I am sure somebody here is aware of the solving solution.

Thanks.
I should add that I am loving the phone and the eu rom. To be honest I am not even sure what sms positioning is and why it is important or if it is a significant issue. It just keeps popping up in the notifications. I keep trying to complete the process and it keeps failing.

I live in Thailand.

Thanks
I am having the similar issue,but I keep getting charged for messages that Xiaomi alegedly sends to me to verify my number for the cloud.Each time i restart the phone,i get "couldnt activate sms positioning blah blah",even tho i turned off the sync for sms and calls to try avoiding being charged(didnt work ofc).
Same as you,i can not set the phone number in the settings,but e-mail is accepted in Mi account.
Its driving me crazy.
What is even crazier,when I log in the cloud through the browser,my phone number is verified.
I am begining to suspect that its just a way for Xiaomi to squeeze some more money.

Annoying isn't it. Actually tonight I just spent an hour in the phone shop trying to subscribe to 5g. They're raising it with head office or something and getting back to me in a few days. I find it weird that when I look in settings or says SIM card isn't activated or installed. However I am using 4G and making calls with no issues except the 5G thing.

Annoying isn't it. Actually tonight I just spent an hour in the phone shop trying to subscribe to 5g. They're raising it with head office or something and getting back to me in a few days. I find it weird that when I look in settings or says SIM card isn't activated or installed. However I am using 4G and making calls with no issues except the 5G thing.
Not just annoying..its the most unprofessional service from a billion dolar company ive ever encountered in my life.
Lucky you,your 4g is functioning properly,in my case even 4g is corrupted lol
Who did you contact to make them raise it with the head office?

Not just annoying..its the most unprofessional service from a billion dolar company ive ever encountered in my life.
Lucky you,your 4g is functioning properly,in my case even 4g is corrupted lol
Who did you contact to make them raise it with the head office?
Just my service providers shop. They tried 5g and it didn't work. It is working now. It was a problem on their end somehow. Only thing now is 5g is not available in a lot of areas i am noticing