Random reboots on Mi2s with extended battery

dbhuis

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Hi all,

since two days I have the official extended battery. It still needs to kind of work in so battery life is not optimal yet ( I saw someone that had 7h screen on time and still had 43% left with this battery... always wondering how one does that. I have never been able to get that on any phone, but besides. Still, I wish I could get that too. )

I am on MIUI JLB27.0. I have never replaced stock recovery, I have never tweaked anything whatsoever. Why? I want a phone that just works and I don't want to have to give it any attention.

Sadly, as the title states, I have been getting random reboots since I have this battery. I've already had three of them in the past two hours. This did not happen with the stock battery. I've noted that the phone seems to reboot mostly when I get it out of my pocket. I am not accidentally pressing any buttons.

I am not doing anything I should not do. I have no strange apps, I only use 2g and Wi-Fi. I did remove all Chinese apps that i could possibly remove though, but that should not matter. I have no root acces because I am running stable ROMs, so that sh0uld not be a problem either.

Has anyone had this before? Is there a solution? It does really suck to have an instable phone. Really hope someone can help me out here.

Hi dbhuis,
I have the exact same issue with my MI2S, on standard battery though !
That would therefor not be it, I guess.
The phone works fine, press power button normally, off, press again, it goes on, no issues, switch it of again lay it on the table or in your pocket, minutes or any random time later, you switch it on...nothing...long press power button, and it boots up.
So 1-5 times a day the phone some how decides its time to switch off... weard or what.
No phone calls comming in offcaorse when you don't know its off.
Maybe we can put info here if any one of us finds out what might cause it..
Do you know of a log file that might show the reason for a shutdown?

Hi dbhuis,
I have the exact same issue with my MI2S, on standard battery though !
That would therefor not be it, I guess.
The phone works fine, press power button normally, off, press again, it goes on, no issues, switch it of again lay it on the table or in your pocket, minutes or any random time later, you switch it on...nothing...long press power button, and it boots up.
So 1-5 times a day the phone some how decides its time to switch off... weard or what.
No phone calls comming in offcaorse when you don't know its off.
Maybe we can put info here if any one of us finds out what might cause it..
Do you know of a log file that might show the reason for a shutdown?

Exactly this. I don't know whether MIUI has an option to make a log file but I'll look into it. It has not rebooted for two hours now, but that is not so impressive really. It should just work. The strange thing is that it only started doing this since I got the bigger battery.

I measured the voltage on the stock battery, it was 4.03 volts ( which is 0.303 volts too high) and the voltage of the extended battery was 3.79 volts, which is 0.09 volts too high. I don't know for sure, but I think this might have something to do with it.

Last edited:
Put in the standard battery for e few days... if it happens again than you too can be shure it's not the battery.

Getting a log should be possible using ADB, but I can't get ADB to work. ( Just reinstalled my computer so the drivers for ADB were not on it anymore.) I'll try again at the moment the Mi2s reboots again, but for now it works fine. It is just the question for how long it will do that. I'll then try using the original battery too.

adb is over my little head, but I reported the error to Xiaomi using the Feedback icon (in Xiaomi original rom) then pressed "system restart" (systeem herstart) and it started making a logfile. Where this file is located in the phone I don't know.
never heard from these guys ofcourse.

Last edited:
The battery is probably broken. Had the same with my girls Xperia S, bought her a new battery and then got random reboots, just got her another one which worked fine of course.

Be careful with broken batteries, don't want them to explode when the phone is in your pocket (not at all preferably lol)

The battery is probably broken. Had the same with my girls Xperia S, bought her a new battery and then got random reboots, just got her another one which worked fine of course.

Be careful with broken batteries, don't want them to explode when the phone is in your pocket (not at all preferably lol)
I hope not. Anyway, it has been working fine since my last post yesterday. As long as it works I am not gonna do anything, I don't want to have to give my phone attention when not using it. That may sound lazy, but I want my phone just to work and not do anything else than what I ask it to do. I don't want to have to spend time on it to make it work like it should work.

^^sounds like you need an iPhone!
For all the faults, they just work with no tinkering.

^^sounds like you need an iPhone!
For all the faults, they just work with no tinkering.

I have been thinking about that, yes. I'm tired of flashing ROMs and stuff that does not work. I might get an old one alongside the Mi2s. But if I am gonna buy an iPhone, I want the 5s 64Gb and those are way too expensive. And then there's iOS...

Remember the reboot bug in iOS 7? And the lockscreen bug in iOS7? :p
Sounds like nokia should start producing 3310's again ^^ haha

Indeed, iOS has quite some bugs too. The 3310 was awesome btw.

I always wonder if its the incapability of the user or not. The M2S is my second smartphone in 9 months, so I'm a smartphone/android user for 9 months now and never had any real problems.

So if it's the case that you bought a problematic battery like I did for my girlfriend, just get a new one and return the faulty one. If you don't want any trouble with phones you should just not use a phone, everything including electronic equipment/devices has an error margin. Even with the best products who have the best quality control there is still a chance they arrive DOA or any other problem. If you just accept this then life get's a lot easier... dead battery? Buy a new one. Don't think about it just do it hehe. I always buy such things on eBay because of buyer protection and when something is not working most sellers do not even ask for me to return the item so I can just wait for the new item or get my money back and buy it somewhere else.

I certainly am not an incapable user. I have been using smartphones since 2006 ( although back then we called them "pocket PC's".) I also had a Palm M500 back in 2001, although that was a PDA. Still works today and holds out one month on a charge. I am probably more capable when it comes to smartphones than 99.99% of the people that use smartphones.

I have had random reboot on my HD2, my SGS2, my Oppo Find 5 and now also my Mi2s. They always have been completely unpredictable. ( Hence the "random.") Random reboots seem to live their own life. So when my Mi2s started doing this, I was like "not again..." but since yesterday 2 PM it seems not to be happening anymore, so we'll see what it does. Also, it is the original Xiaomi extended battery, it is not some fake crap.

The battery is in no way dead: I can get three days out of it. So it seems to be functioning anyway. And I think a phone that just works is not too much to ask for, right? You'll get your share of problems with smartphones, just wait.

Last edited:
And I think a phone that just works is not too much to ask for, right? You'll get your share of problems with smartphones, just wait.
I quote myself:
. Even with the best products who have the best quality control there is still a chance they arrive DOA or any other problem.
Doesn't matter what kind of product, this may happen on every product around. It might just be you are just not so 'lucky'.
Did you ever see a personal computer which 'just works'? There is not such a thing which 'just works'.

The reason why I was wondering about the capability was not personally anyway, but it seems smartphones are to complex for a lot of users, at least so it seems. I'm on here and on XDA for a few months now and sometimes I just can not believe the stupidness of questions being asked or the way people describe their problems.

At least everything seems to be working fine now ;)

And yes, probably I will also experience problems with smartphones in the future. Just like I've had with computers over the last 15 years. The first bad experience I had with a smartphone was bad wifi reception on my Xperia SP, solved it by flashing cyanogenmod. With electronics (not just electronics) occasionally you will encounter 'problems' it's just the way things works. Same thing goes for cars, machines, anything technical, anything created by man.

(Totally off-topic lol)

Reactions: dbhuis
I quote myself:

Doesn't matter what kind of product, this may happen on every product around. It might just be you are just not so 'lucky'.
Did you ever see a personal computer which 'just works'? There is not such a thing which 'just works'.

The reason why I was wondering about the capability was not personally anyway, but it seems smartphones are to complex for a lot of users, at least so it seems. I'm on here and on XDA for a few months now and sometimes I just can not believe the stupidness of questions being asked or the way people describe their problems.

At least everything seems to be working fine now ;)

And yes, probably I will also experience problems with smartphones in the future. Just like I've had with computers over the last 15 years. The first bad experience I had with a smartphone was bad wifi reception on my Xperia SP, solved it by flashing cyanogenmod. With electronics (not just electronics) occasionally you will encounter 'problems' it's just the way things works. Same thing goes for cars, machines, anything technical, anything created by man.

(Totally off-topic lol)

Only a little bit offtopic :p But I get your point. It is just annoying that it won't work properly, although for now it does.

My mi2 has started freezing on a black screen, no reason tried different releases of miuiandroid and still the same.
Luckily not too many people have taken my advice to buy or else I'd be starting to get complaints when this kind of thing happens to them!

My mi2 has started freezing on a black screen, no reason tried different releases of miuiandroid and still the same.
Luckily not too many people have taken my advice to buy or else I'd be starting to get complaints when this kind of thing happens to them!
Send it back for repairs, problem solved, like I said before, this can happen with any phone. The first smartphone I bought had dead pixels on the imaging sensor of the camera after some weeks, I just called Vodafone, one day later they picked up the phone at my house and I got a temporary HTC One X, the next week they came at the door again, we traded phones and everything was back to normal ^^
Yay for warranty and customer protection, nay for the people who don't use it :p

I'd rate my chances of a warranty repair of an 11month old Chinese phone for a UK user at pretty slim. Just something to chalk down to experience.
Sadly it's not putting xiaomi top of the replacement list....

I'd rate my chances of a warranty repair of an 11month old Chinese phone for a UK user at pretty slim. Just something to chalk down to experience.
Sadly it's not putting xiaomi top of the replacement list....
Mmm where did you buy it? 11 months is still in the one year warranty, I read on a Dutch forum about a guy who contacted Xiaomi himself to get his phone repaired.
You should give it a try, I mean, even if you get another phone for the time being without your M2(S) it would be great if you got it back in a working condition right?
I have a M2A too.. which I'm currently selling on ebay (maybe you might be interested hehe). The usb connector was broken (by abusive use of my brother lol) and they fixed it... took some time but they did :) So don't give up all hope, you should try it I guess.

Hi dbHuis.
I may have found the problem of the random Xiaomi power down.
I cleaned the phones battery contacts and the contacts on the battery itself, not a single event since than...over 50 hours ago.
This is a very likely solution but you know how these things go...you brag about it and 5 minutes later Murphy kicks in with a vengeance.:)
Switch off the phone, take out the battery and use a square plastic eraser (for pencil, not for ink !!) soft white stuf, and use the sharpest edge of the eraser to rub the gold plated contact for a few seconds only. Be carefull with the gold contacts on the phone spring loaded contacts not to bend them. The gold is only like 2-3um thick !!
Anyway, I think soldering flux residuals where on the contacts, because visually they looked okay. That explains allso why there are so few reports on this from users.
Next thing I'll do, when it happens again, is to put a piece of folded paper between the battery and the phones back cover to keep a little bit more pressure on the battery and thus on the contacts.
I hope it works for you too.

Hi dbHuis.
I may have found the problem of the random Xiaomi power down.
I cleaned the phones battery contacts and the contacts on the battery itself, not a single event since than...over 50 hours ago.
This is a very likely solution but you know how these things go...you brag about it and 5 minutes later Murphy kicks in with a vengeance.:)
Switch off the phone, take out the battery and use a square plastic eraser (for pencil, not for ink !!) soft white stuf, and use the sharpest edge of the eraser to rub the gold plated contact for a few seconds only. Be carefull with the gold contacts on the phone spring loaded contacts not to bend them. The gold is only like 2-3um thick !!
Anyway, I think soldering flux residuals where on the contacts, because visually they looked okay. That explains allso why there are so few reports on this from users.
Next thing I'll do, when it happens again, is to put a piece of folded paper between the battery and the phones back cover to keep a little bit more pressure on the battery and thus on the contacts.
I hope it works for you too.
Strange, the contacts on my battery looked perfectly clean. But you could be right, I have not had any random reboots since I removed the battery a few times. That just might have cleaned the contacts. But, as you say, Murphy's law.

Anyway, thanks for the advice :)