Random restarts & kernel panic

10-80

Members
Mar 4, 2012
Hi guys.
Recently I decided to put a SIM PIN lock on my MI-ONE. This has made me aware of a problem that I don't know how long has been happening for.

The phone is restarting itself. I'm aware of this now because the SIM lock means that the phone prompts for the PIN if a restart has occured.

I've only managed to 'catch' it actually happening once but I was not in a situation where I was able to look at logs.

I'm not sure how to approach troubleshooting this because I don't know it's happened until after the fact when I next go to use the phone.

I'm currently running 2.8.17 and will be updating to 2.8.24 shortly. I have already tried doing a full wipe and flash (as opposed to an update).

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers.

Put this in the bug forum since its seem that its a bug not a problem that you are having and need help for if you now what i mean :)

My Mi-One has been doing this for months, I replaced a battery with a replacement bought from dealxtreme and it made the boot occur less. Anyway it didn't fix the problem fully and seems like it has something to do with connection between battery and phone.

I think i read somewhere that some people but paper/card board in behind the battery to make it more "locked" into the battery connection

Thanks for the replies guys.
I decided not to post in the bugs forum since I can't provide any logcat or other troubleshooting info until I 'catch' the device doing it.
I'm fairly sure it's not the battery connection, it's nice and snug and taking the cover off and pushing the battery around doesn't cause any problems. I'm thinking it's the software not the battery because the phone wouldn't start up again if it lot power.
Cheers.

If you think its software then re-flash the entire phone using the guide i made it will give you a clean install from scratch

I have pressed the battery with a piece of cardboard down closer to the contacts. This is working for me. No reboots since more than a month. This is no software problem, I think.

yeah since a lot of people used the card board method it seems to be that its a issue there not with the software itself

Well I'm certainly keen to give it a shot. Where exactly have you got the card? A photo would be great.
Cheers.

Yeah, I got what you meant. I'm just not sure about the size and thickness of the cardboard and where exactly you are putting it.
Cheers.

You are putting it behind the battery so it "pushes" the battery closer to the connector. You just need to try different thickness to find the perfect match for you. Try with paper first if thats easiest for you and then you will find a thickness that fits for your phone :)

OK, well the battery terminals are at the top edge of the battery housing compartment. So If I want to push the battery further onto the terminals I'd be inserting a card board 'shim' between the bottom edge of the housing and the bottom edge of the battery where indicated by the red arrow in the photo. Is that what your suggesting?
DSC00641.jpg

Not a problem hope it works out good for you :)
I dont think battery connection could result in a restart !

If the connection is lose, the phone would switch off when the connection between terminals is lost. Now, if it is reconnected, it will not automatically start unless you press & hold power button, isnt it ? I fail to understand the logic behind this self-start if battery connection is loose. I think it should be a battery issue, unless i am missing something here.

I dont think a phone will restart like this, even if the terminals are loosely connected. At the most, it shall power off only

it also could be a software that causes this. i know that if i ran faceniff or wifikill it would restart the entire phone if i used the built in shutdown button almost every time. but since they havent written if they are using any software its hard to tell if that could be the cause of the problem

Hi guys.
Recently I decided to put a SIM PIN lock on my MI-ONE. This has made me aware of a problem that I don't know how long has been happening for.

The phone is restarting itself. I'm aware of this now because the SIM lock means that the phone prompts for the PIN if a restart has occured.

I've only managed to 'catch' it actually happening once but I was not in a situation where I was able to look at logs.

I'm not sure how to approach troubleshooting this because I don't know it's happened until after the fact when I next go to use the phone.

I'm currently running 2.8.17 and will be updating to 2.8.24 shortly. I have already tried doing a full wipe and flash (as opposed to an update).

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers.

+1 for me on all rom released from august to now :(

I try 2.7.x.....

edit: hey 10-80, your reboots happen when using WhatsApp?

It might be that some apps causes this problem not sure why or what apps but for me its faceniff and wifikill that causes a restart of the phone they both require root access so it might be bad programming for the ICS that its not written correct or other things but other apps that need root do not have this issue.

when google play find update program, my m1 reboot..... uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I bought this phone and during 1 month it worked fine. For the last two weeks started to restart many times per day. I put the paper in the battery as mentioned here and doesnt work. I`m very disapointed because its seems to be a good hardware but i dont know if this is a software or hardware issue. What else can i do in order to solve this problem? The official forum of Xiaomi is Chinese only, its ridiculous!!!! Please help !

why would it be ridiculous that a Chinese phone only made to be in china has a forum that is only in Chinese. the phone is never supposed to be sold outside of china and of course the forum will then be in Chinese! If i bought a phone that was sold in Norway, made for for Norway and was never suppost to be sold outside of Norway. Then it would be stupid to have the forum in any other language the Norwegian! Its very simple the phone is made for china only so there forum is for there on people in china that speak Chinese!! :D

If you have so big issues with the Chinese forum use google translate
what version of miui are you running?